Worried About Acceptance!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helloall1222

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior at Saint Louis University with a 3.6 cum/mathsci GPA and I have applied to ~23 MD schools this cycle. I took the MCAT once in May 2012, and again in July 2012. In May I got 31Q with 11 10 10 and then in July I got a 34Q with 12 11 11. I had applied and finished all my secondaries by late August, and my second MCAT scores were released August 28th, so I guess you can say I applied to all my schools on August 28th (kind of late, I know :( ). I have gotten 2 rejections, and have been told to send my Fall semester grades to 2 other schools, and have been put on hold at another school. However, I am worried because I have heard absolutely nothing from the 18 other schools I applied to. Is this unusual? How worried should I be? Anyone else in the same boat? No interviews yet :(

Members don't see this ad.

I am a senior at Saint Louis University with a 3.6 cum/mathsci GPA and I have applied to ~23 MD schools this cycle. I took the MCAT once in May 2012, and again in July 2012. In May I got 31Q with 11 10 10 and then in July I got a 34Q with 12 11 11. I had applied and finished all my secondaries by late August, and my second MCAT scores were released August 28th, so I guess you can say I applied to all my schools on August 28th (kind of late, I know :( ). I have gotten 2 rejections, and have been told to send my Fall semester grades to 2 other schools, and have been put on hold at another school. However, I am worried because I have heard absolutely nothing from the 18 other schools I applied to. Is this unusual? How worried should I be? Anyone else in the same boat? No interviews yet :(

It happens, but if you want to be safe you could start looking into other options for the coming school year. A 3.6/34Q is solid (even though some on SDN would point to your 3.6 as the cause of this delay). Remember that interview invites are extended for a little while longer, and those 18 schools have not outright rejected you yet. But no news is good news, right? :)

Should somebody who was processed October 4th be considered in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad :)
With that lizzy m score I believe you should get accepted somewhere.. Something is fishy, and if you don't get in this cycle 'plenty of more time this cycle' then look over your list again for next cycle and improve any areas you believe are lacking.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

Maybe your list of schools was a little too top heavy? I'm not particularly sure unless you tell us your ECs and what schools.

Maybe your list of schools was a little too top heavy? I'm not particularly sure unless you tell us your ECs and what schools.

This. If you applied to THE top 23 schools in the country, your results so far are to be expected. If you applied to a good balance of schools, something is likely less than optimal regarding your ECs, essays, LORs, etc., or you are just very unlucky. The cycle is not over, but we can't really give you any feedback unless you give us more information. :luck:

It's been 3 months. That's kinda long, but at least one of those 23 should pan out. I would say you should start hearing back in December/January.

I shadowed about 3 types of doctors for a total of 100 hours, i volunteered in hospitals and the like, and I worked as an EMT for three months in NYC. I have also been working as a researcher in a lab for 3 years but have not published anything, yet I have received an undergraduate research grant. I also tutored inner city youth for one semester. I guess I am a little light on real leadership positions though..

Also, the schools I applied to are mostly very middle of the road. The top three easily being UC Irvine, UMich, and Boston U (who already rejected me). I was also rejected from Wayne State. All of the other schools had mcat averages of about 30-33 I believe. I am an NYS resident.

If things don't work out for you this cycle, consider reapplying as a resident of Missouri. I did my UG at Wash U, and that is what I was going to do if I didnt get in anywhere. Mizzou-Columbia has very average stats for a state school, and is only open to residents of missouri. So its a great place to play the numbers game. I know it sucks giving up like 4 public schools in NYS, but sometimes you gotta roll the dice

Just wanted to say I am in almost the exact same situation as you. Applied to about 25 schools and have gotten a couple rejections and a small pool and that's about it. My stats are also almost identical to yours (slightly lower MCAT). I was also complete at most schools at around the exact same time as you. I think a lot of schools haven't sent out many interview invites for people complete that late yet.

i hope you're right blanco! did you apply to pretty average schools as well? good luck to us both! haha

Nothing really sounds glaringly wrong with what you did. Late August is not really late in the cycle, and as far as leadership...I had none either. Maybe the problem is your application doesn't really stand out? I'm only conjecturing here, because I didn't read your application myself, but it sounds like you filled a lot of the "status quo" ECs for a few months, and then moved on....medical schools like to see prolonged commitment and devotion in your activities. I dunno if this is your problem....probably worth re-reading your applications, and seeing if anything you wrote sounds a little off - incorrect information, too cocky, dispassionate, etc.

Also, those "middle of the road" schools are especially difficult in that pretty much everyone and their mother applies to them. BU, GW, Georgetown, Drexel, Temple, etc all have well over 10000 applicants and interview about 1 in 10 applicants, so it's obviously not easy or guaranteed at all to get one of those interview slots. Would you be averse to providing a complete school list?(I don't think this will ruin your anonymity)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i hope you're right blanco! did you apply to pretty average schools as well? good luck to us both! haha

I applied to pretty much every private school outside the top 20 and all my state schools. Basically anywhere I had a chance at. But yeah, we'll see. The fact that they haven't rejected us yet shows that we still have a chance and you only need one.

Tufts U
Wright State U
U Toledo
U Buffalo
Saint Louis U
U Rochester
U Illinois
Tulane U
Virginia Common U
Rosalind Franklin U
StonyBrook U
East Virginia SM
Drexel U
UC Irvine
U Mich
Albany Medical
Howard U

REJECTED
Boston U
Wayne state

SEND MIDYEAR SCORES
DOWNSTATE
NY Medical College

ON HOLD
SUNY Upstate
George Washington

Some perspective: the later you apply the longer it takes to hear anything. I submitted most of my secondaries in early/mid September and I'm just starting to hear back (luckily only one rejection so far). Good luck!

There's a couple of schools on that list that favor in-state students (VCU, for instance). You might not get any love from those schools. Also, unless you are Black, I wouldn't hold your breath for Howard. Otherwise, what the post above stated, just be patient, you might get some responses soon. A lot of the schools you listed here go through A LOT of applications, so you just have to give it time and hope for the best. Your stats are good enough, but applying later might have hurt you just a bit.

I think you will hear back and eventually get in somewhere, your stats are on par with the average matriculant stats. Just be patient..and update us when you get in :)

Hey guys! thanks for your encouraging replies. I have another quesiton. So as i mentioned before, two of my schools have requested me to send me new transcript with Fall 2012 grades on it after this semester comes to a close. If my grades turn out to be very good, should I just send my transcript to all the schools that haven't gotten back to me as well? To sort of remind them of my existence again and make me a look a little better in their eyes? Also if this is a good idea...what would be the easiest way to go about doing it? Thanks!

If things don't work out for you this cycle, consider reapplying as a resident of Missouri. I did my UG at Wash U, and that is what I was going to do if I didnt get in anywhere. Mizzou-Columbia has very average stats for a state school, and is only open to residents of missouri. So its a great place to play the numbers game. I know it sucks giving up like 4 public schools in NYS, but sometimes you gotta roll the dice

Wrong Bro. Mizzou had a really high avg gpa for a state shool and they are not closed to OOS applicants.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Just remember that with the economy sucking so bad, there are a record number of applicants at many schools (up at least two years in a row) With budget cuts in education there may be fewer people to sort and categorize those applicants. Everyone in admissions is overworked and underpaid this time of year.

If you applied in August, you have all the people from June and July ahead of you in that sorting process. I wouldn't start worrying about it until January or February. Then if nothing, then start planning your application for the first day of the cycle next spring.

If the school allows it, then by all means send in an update. Just by having a real person touch your file may have them look at it and see that you are "that awesome" that you need to be brought to the top of the pile. Some schools ask that you don't send in anything unless they ask for it (like OHSU). If a school is like that, an update transcript may put you in the discard pile.

Good luck to you
dsoz

Hey guys! thanks for your encouraging replies. I have another quesiton. So as i mentioned before, two of my schools have requested me to send me new transcript with Fall 2012 grades on it after this semester comes to a close. If my grades turn out to be very good, should I just send my transcript to all the schools that haven't gotten back to me as well? To sort of remind them of my existence again and make me a look a little better in their eyes? Also if this is a good idea...what would be the easiest way to go about doing it? Thanks!

I don't see this as a problem, but you might want to hear more responses before you go ahead and do it (I really don't know what I'm talking about). If you sent all of your schools a quick update letter (with real, significant things to update them on), and a copy of your fall transcript, you would at least potentially get your name back on the table again.

rejection from rochester today....i guess i shouldn't have complained about not hearing from them...haha

WooHoo! Yeah, I was thinking one of the state schools should call you. GL

Okay so I got back my grades and I got a 3.96, 18 credits and 4 bio classes this semester. Any more thoughts on sending it to my schools? and for the schools that requested them... they use the phrases "email us unofficial grades" and "unofficial transcript including your fall grades". What exactly does this mean? do they literally want me to just type out with i got to them? as well as sending them my official transcript again (through amcas?)