Worried about Bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josey

Doctor Hopeful
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the MCAT in April, as a junior, and I just finished ochem2 and physics 2. I've taken all the core pre-reqs for med school, with genetics and bio 101 being my biology classes. However, I took bio 101 my freshman year and a 3000 level genetics class the fall term of my sophomore, so it's been a while. I haven't taken physiology yet.

I'm worried that I don't have enough background for the bio section of the MCAT, or that it's been too long since I've taken these classes. I'm taking the Kaplan course and using EK to study independently this semester, along with taking cell bio and mbio next semester. Do you think this will be enough to score well on the MCAT for the biology section? Anyone else taken elementary biology classes and just used EK and Kaplan to supplement and done well?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
yeah man, youll do fine. elementary bio is really all you need. ek/kaplan do a sufficiently good job in explaining the material you should/need to know....get ek bio down cold and reference question marks with kaplan bio. read them like 2-3x before april and youll be golden.

read EK bio, and go through the EK 1001 Bio Questions (has 101 passages). It's easier than the real deal, but lets you test yourself MCAT style. Plus, it's a great way to do a content review. Anything you get wrong, there's a paragraph explanation in the back for EACH questions, pretty good!

yeah, as long as you study hard, you can achieve anything my friend. Let's do it!

That's my way of motivating myself. I hope it helped you too.

Members don't see this ad :)
what you might come to discover is that after a certain point of basic bio science competence, you will do yourself very little benefit by studying more and more new sub-topics within biology.

The MCAT is a reasoning test that will challenge your ability to surmise the answer from information given withinin a passage and from you background in basic bio concepts. Many people, including myself, have taken the MCAT and grew annoyingly bewildered at how much we prepared for, yet weren't tested on.

I recommend learning how to take the test as opposed to taking more and more and more biology classes. Sure they may be useful, but if you already understand the basic themes from those classes, you are better off at practicing MCAT style questions.

yeah, as long as you study hard, you can achieve anything my friend. Let's do it!

That's my way of motivating myself. I hope it helped you too.

Haha. I appreciate it. And thanks for the advice guys.