1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Worried about Bio

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Josey, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Josey

Josey Doctor Hopeful
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm taking the MCAT in April, as a junior, and I just finished ochem2 and physics 2. I've taken all the core pre-reqs for med school, with genetics and bio 101 being my biology classes. However, I took bio 101 my freshman year and a 3000 level genetics class the fall term of my sophomore, so it's been a while. I haven't taken physiology yet.

I'm worried that I don't have enough background for the bio section of the MCAT, or that it's been too long since I've taken these classes. I'm taking the Kaplan course and using EK to study independently this semester, along with taking cell bio and mbio next semester. Do you think this will be enough to score well on the MCAT for the biology section? Anyone else taken elementary biology classes and just used EK and Kaplan to supplement and done well?

#1 Josey, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  2. akademix

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yeah man, youll do fine. elementary bio is really all you need. ek/kaplan do a sufficiently good job in explaining the material you should/need to know....get ek bio down cold and reference question marks with kaplan bio. read them like 2-3x before april and youll be golden.

3. Marjan Islam

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    read EK bio, and go through the EK 1001 Bio Questions (has 101 passages). It's easier than the real deal, but lets you test yourself MCAT style. Plus, it's a great way to do a content review. Anything you get wrong, there's a paragraph explanation in the back for EACH questions, pretty good!

4. nancy88

Pre-Medical
    yeah, as long as you study hard, you can achieve anything my friend. Let's do it!

That's my way of motivating myself. I hope it helped you too.

5. DrMattOglesby

DrMattOglesby Grand Master
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    what you might come to discover is that after a certain point of basic bio science competence, you will do yourself very little benefit by studying more and more new sub-topics within biology.

The MCAT is a reasoning test that will challenge your ability to surmise the answer from information given withinin a passage and from you background in basic bio concepts. Many people, including myself, have taken the MCAT and grew annoyingly bewildered at how much we prepared for, yet weren't tested on.

I recommend learning how to take the test as opposed to taking more and more and more biology classes. Sure they may be useful, but if you already understand the basic themes from those classes, you are better off at practicing MCAT style questions.

6. Josey

Josey Doctor Hopeful
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Haha. I appreciate it. And thanks for the advice guys.