Worried about forgetting material :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lolaaa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I've been studying for the MCAT since 5/28 and I'm planning on taking it in Jan of next year. I work a full time job and study whenever I have time. My question is what do you think I should do to not forget what I'm studying right now until the time of my exam? I feel like taking the test in Jan is too far but I can't take it in Sep of this year because I'm still not ready and I haven't taken practice tests yet. Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, so I've been studying for the MCAT since 5/28 and I'm planning on taking it in Jan of next year. I work a full time job and study whenever I have time. My question is what do you think I should do to not forget what I'm studying right now until the time of my exam? I feel like taking the test in Jan is too far but I can't take it in Sep of this year because I'm still not ready and I haven't taken practice tests yet. Thanks in advance :)
Although you are understandably anxious (we all are!), timing your studying really is more art than science for most, depending on how much review you need, how long it takes you to plow through QBs and FLs, and your ability to retain information.

Most people would say studying for 7-8 months is too long, and you risk burnout and forgetting, but YMMV. If you are worried about this, and also cannot cut back on work hours, you're just going to have to figure out how to get enough studying in closer to the exam while maintaining your work hours. There is no magic bullet to help you remember everything for months and months on end. Good luck!!!

For long term studying, I'd really recommend using one of the Anki decks. Anki uses spaced repetition which means it will bring back cards after a certain interval to make sure you don't forget. There's a bit of a learning curve to Anki, but after you figure out, it's a fantastic tool (and will help with med school too!)

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Use Anki, Quizlet or any other app/tool for space repetition learning once you have learned the content material.