Worried about getting accepted into pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you have a good explanation for the low GPA? That might help.

Are you able to move out of state? That would broaden your chances if you find schools where your gpa is competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have briefly written in my personal statement how I handled my education while working but I couldn't spend to much space writing about it. It wasn't until I started working in the pharmacy field that I decided switched my major. Also, my senior year my GPA is a 3.3

Are you able to move out of state? That would broaden your chances if you find schools where your gpa is competitive.

I will be applying to a couple of schools out of state. However, it is unlikely for me due to personal issues. I would really like to go to this school, and I have heard that they view your application in its entirety. In the past I have also known students to get into this school with a GPA such as mine, and with a PCAT in the 90th percentile; however it is rare, and I know this program becomes more competitive each year.

Do you have a good explanation for the low GPA? That might help.
I have briefly written in my personal statement how I handled my education while working but I couldn't spend to much space writing about it. It wasn't until I started working in the pharmacy field that I decided switched my major. Also, my senior year my GPA is a 3.3

I grew up in Michigan, maybe try Wayne State too?

EDIT: just checked out their site, guess they need a 3.0 minimum

I am also applying to Wayne State. Although they have a minimum of 3.0, I know there was a student accepted with a 2.8 GPA and a PCAT in the 90th percentile. Hoping for the best while trying not to panic. Did you apply to schools in Michigan?
No I'm nowhere near applying. I'm trying for pharmacy as a non-traditional student. I'll be taking several pre-reqs post bacc but I may apply to WSU down the road

Make sure you're careful with that, because they may think you are not ready for pharmacy school due to you receiving low grades while working. Since you'll likely be working during pharmacy school, they may not believe that you can handle the workload. Best of luck though!

I want to apply to the University of Michigan as my first choice school, and I am worried about my qualifications.

My cumulative GPA= 2.83 (minimum considered 2.8)
PCAT= will be taking in September
4 years retail pharmacy experience (2011-current)
very, very, very passionate and knowledgable about the field from working in a pharmacy so much
Also, I have volunteered in hospice
Good personal statement
Letter of recommendation from pharmacist and biology professor

I am planning on getting in the 90th percentile on my PCAT, so that it can possibly even out my low GPA. I know UofM is one of the the top schools, so that's why I am worried. Anybody who has applied to this school have any advice?
To be frank, you are a reach. Average PCAT and GPA at Michigan are 75th+ percentile and ~3.5. A 95th+ percentile PCAT will do you well, but "planning" and "executing" are two different things (clearly); make sure you understand how big of a reach you are and do the latter.

Be sure you have all the other parts of your application squared away. Get as many second looks on your application materials as you can. Your LOR and PS must convince the adcom enough to overlook that GPA. If you need more sets of eyes, PM people in this forum who you think would be helpful to you. There are a number of people who would be willing to, if you reach out to them personally.

I got into a different top 10 school with 2.8ish/95+ and no retail experience so you have an edge on me in this regard OP. My GPA did not come up in any of my interviews. Strong LORs are a must. As for PS, it's less about trying to impress and more about writing something that doesn't leave a bad impression.

I got into a different top 10 school with 2.8ish/95+ and no retail experience so you have an edge on me in this regard OP. My GPA did not come up in any of my interviews. Strong LORs are a must. As for PS, it's less about trying to impress and more about writing something that doesn't leave a bad impression.

That's nice to hear. Congratulations! I know that they don't mention your grades during the interview, the mostly ask you pharmacy related questions. I'm studying really hard everyday, I'm hoping I can achieve the score you have! Thanks for your reply.

I don't want to burst your bubble or anything, but pharmacy is currently a bad career choice. By the time you graduate jobs will have dried up, that is a fact. Best of luck to you.

I don't want to burst your bubble or anything, but pharmacy is currently a bad career choice. By the time you graduate jobs will have dried up, that is a fact. Best of luck to you.
I don't want to burst your bubble or anything but I wasn't looking for someone to give me a reality check on my career choice. Take your negativity elsewhere. Best of luck to you, I hope you find reasons in life to not feel the need to shed your unhappiness onto others.

Negativity? I was being frank about the situation about the profession of pharmacy. You obviously have not done your research, schools (especially the for-profit ones) are pumping out more students than there are jobs. By 2018 the NAPLEX will have more questions and likely will include an oral presentation in front of the board. They are purposely trying to making it less desirable to enter this field much like dentistry not too long ago.

Let's put it into perspective, most schools will charge $40k per year minus room/board/food. So let's be generous and you take out $50k per year. After 4 years of school you will have accumulated $200k worth of debt, and let's say your interest rate is 6%, do the math. Not so pretty.

When I first applying for pharmacy school back in 2010, pharmacists were easily making $130k. And because the market is now so diluted, I've heard of pharmacists taking pay of 90-100k. And I know of pharmacists that are currently unemployed or work as floaters. All I am saying is, since you are currently worried about even getting accepted, you should well be worried about finding a job once you graduate in 2019-2020 when you graduate?

Negativity? I was being frank about the situation about the profession of pharmacy. You obviously have not done your research, schools (especially the for-profit ones) are pumping out more students than there are jobs. By 2018 the NAPLEX will have more questions and likely will include an oral presentation in front of the board. They are purposely trying to making it less desirable to enter this field much like dentistry not too long ago.

Let's put it into perspective, most schools will charge $40k per year minus room/board/food. So let's be generous and you take out $50k per year. After 4 years of school you will have accumulated $200k worth of debt, and let's say your interest rate is 6%, do the math. Not so pretty.

When I first applying for pharmacy school back in 2010, pharmacists were easily making $130k. And because the market is now so diluted, I've heard of pharmacists taking pay of 90-100k. And I know of pharmacists that are currently unemployed or work as floaters. All I am saying is, since you are currently worried about even getting accepted, you should well be worried about finding a job once you graduate in 2019-2020 when you graduate?
The person is right take your negativity elsewhere. Your reply has more fallacies of logic due to generalization than it does so encompassing a case by case situation.

The person is right take your negativity elsewhere. Your reply has more fallacies of logic due to generalization than it does so encompassing a case by case situation.

Haha, fallacy of logic, righhhhhhht. Dr. Daniel L. Brown can attest to this "fallacy" in this piece from Medscape: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/823365

I am sorry that you're butthurt by what I have said about the future of pharmacy, which, also happens to be true. Schools are pumping out 14,000 students/year along side with a job market that is seeing an increase in pharmacy jobs at about 4,000-5,000/year (you refer to this as negativity LOL, but it's true). Common sense shows that there will be a surplus of students with less jobs to go around, but I shouldn't tell you about this negativity.

If Prospective_Pharm_Student can score into the 90th percentile, coupled with the 4 years of pharmacy job experience, he/she is a deserving candidate to interview and have a seat in pharmacy school. All I said was that the profession is currently in a flux, especially if those 4 new schools in California start accepting anyone that can afford to pay to attend their institution.

My "negativity" will remain right here, nice try though fancy pants :)

By the way, I hope you know that "heros" is actually spelled "heroEs." Just sayinnnn.

I don't want to burst your bubble or anything but I wasn't looking for someone to give me a reality check on my career choice. Take your negativity elsewhere. Best of luck to you, I hope you find reasons in life to not feel the need to shed your unhappiness onto others.

I don't understand why a pre-pharmer like you, reject everything @DrSerax says, given that he/she is currently a pharmacist and know first-hand the job market, not through reading articles/newspaper and judging the validity. Do you honestly, when you dedicate 4 more year of your life and 200k debt, want to work as a floater? move to anywhere the big chain told you to move. NO YOU DON'T because you want to have a family, a place to settle down. you don't want to drive 2-3hrs back and forth to multiple work place and have no stability.

the last thing on earth you wanna have is a 200k debt and don't have your life in control because you need to pay off the debt.

I always reserves some level of respect for professionals that were once students and would like to come back and contribute.

ok lets put aside all the job market, but when you see a students with 2.9 o/s GPA and 60 70th PCAT got in MULTIPLE pharmacy schools, then that is alarming.
Since when professional schools like pharmacy lost its quality standard.