worried about getting denied because of one class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmma277

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, so I am a recent graduate of the University of Kentucky with a GPA of 3.49 (significantly rounded to 3.5) and I have now just completed all of my science pre-requisites:
General Chem I- B General Physics I-D+ Bio mechanics - B+
General Chem I Lab- A General Physics I Lab- A Medical Terminology- A
General Chem II- A+ General Physics II- B General Psychology- B+
General Chem Lab II- A+ General Physics II Lab- B Developmental Psychology- B+
General Biology I- A+ Introductory to Stats- C Nutrition - A
General Biology Lab- A Anatomy Physiology I - C+ Nutrition Health and Wellness- A
General Biology II - A+ Anatomy Physiology II- A+
General Biology II Lab- B+ Exercise Physiology- B+

I am worried that my GPA will not be as competitive compared to other students applying for schools due to my physics I grade. Back story is I took physics I last spring at UK and it was supposed to be algebra based but our professor taught it off calculus based, and exam averages were usually 40-60% each exam. I did well in the lab but when It was finals week, I was at a borderline C. I asked my professor if she was going to curve but she was not, so I regretfully dropped the class. Forward to the next following week, I find out everyone bombed the final and she curved the class heavily and made me regret. So, I retake the class with the lab at a small tech college while taking 19 credit hours at UK (i.e. stats, biomechanics, sports psych, etc.). I passed every exam with high Bs and was able to manage a solid B throughout the semester until the final. The final was online and after taking the exam I received a B on the exam but unfortunately it did not go through on my professor’s end, so I ended up getting a D. I tried fighting the case and appealing to the dean but had no luck as well since I had no photo proof to support my case. I was able to take the Physics II this Sumner with the lab and managed to get a B while taking chem II lab and Bio II with lab and receive As and a B+. My question is will my physics II make up for the physics I so I don’t have to retake it? Has anyone ever managed to get an interview with low physics I grade? Also, to note my physics I was transferred over to my university transcript from the tech college and shows as a credit earned besides letter grade.

Members don't see this ad.

some schools require that all your prerequisites have a grade of a C or higher. I would ask the schools you're applying to or consider retaking physics 1. I don't think your physics 2 grade will make up for it because they are two separate classes. I think that as long as you get your physics 1 grade to a C in order to pass the minimum requirement I don't think it'll be detrimental to your application. I personally didn't do so hot in physics 2 but it didn't hurt my over pGPA that much.

Reactions: 1 user
some schools require that all your prerequisites have a grade of a C or higher. I would ask the schools you're applying to or consider retaking physics 1. I don't think your physics 2 grade will make up for it because they are two separate classes. I think that as long as you get your physics 1 grade to a C in order to pass the minimum requirement I don't think it'll be detrimental to your application. I personally didn't do so hot in physics 2 but it didn't hurt my over pGPA that much.
So even though I excelled in Physics II, Chem I, Chem II, Bio I and II, schools would still probably deny me because of that one class? I was also told by lot of DPT students that schools don't really look at your grades but they would rather look at your science GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
So even though I excelled in Physics II, Chem I, Chem II, Bio I and II, schools would still probably deny me because of that one class? I was also told by lot of DPT students that schools don't really look at your grades but they would rather look at your science GPA
I had good grades (A’s and B’s) for all of my prereqs except chem ii and phys i, both of which I had a C-. I had several schools tell me they wouldn’t consider my app because of the C- in those classes. I ended up retaking both this summer.

yes they could potentially deny you because you have a D in physics 1. This isn't because the rest of your grades and science GPA isn't good but because if they require you to get a C in all of your prereqs then you don't meet that requirement with a D. I would retake that class or look into what the schools you are interested require. However, most schools do require an average of C or higher in all prerequisite courses.

It probably doesn't matter if you got a D in a random course like History but since it is a prereq I'm sure they will look at the individual grades in that case. Hope that makes sense! Good luck!

Bear in mind too a human being isn't looking at your initial application and if one is, they aren't looking at it holistically. If the requirement is a C for *each* pre-req and one class doesn't make that standard, they just deny the application outright, regardless of how you did in the other courses. They do look at overall science GPA but they usually also have a requirement grade for each individual class.

Also, you will have to submit every transcript from every college you've attended, so they will still see the letter grade regardless of where it came from.

It is a real bummer for sure, but you're probably best off retaking it (again). You can look around for schools that only look at overall science GPA but that might really limit your search & thus acceptance chances, as most schools have roughly the same requirements. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I would plan on retaking it. Unfortunately, like everyone said, they will likely deny based on the fact that you don’t make their cut-off. However, I got a D in my anatomy course and once I retook it with a B one trimester and an A for the second trimester, I was accepted even though I had the D on my record. So once it’s retaken, you should be able to explain yourself as to why you had a D in that class in the first place, and still have good chances at getting in!

Good luck!

Yes, I agree with everyone's comments before me. You're allowed to have a few slip-ups with some schools because they review holistically BUT it's important you at least meet their bare minimum requirements (which is usually to have a C or higher in all pre-req's). The reason I say this is because first the applications are sent to be processed by computers and if you don't meet these requirements, often times the application is automatically tossed before even being reviewed by a human. I don't want you to waste the time and money so I suggest retaking it to be safe and to have more options in schools to apply to. No shame in retakes! I retook my whole physics series too. I think it'll make you look like a stronger candidate if you were determined to prove you can do it. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
If Physics I is a pre-reque, I believe schools require it to be grade C or above to be eligible to apply to school. ? If that is the case, you will have to retake it. If it is not a pre-reque, I would forget about it since your overall GPA is fine.

repeat the classes that you scored low. My GPA was very similar to yours. I got denied my first time around. Then I took a year off to repeat classes and got accepted to every school that I applied to