worried about med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surag

kobayashi
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 37 and an S on MCAT
I have good research and volunteering experience
but my GPA is a 3.0, you guys know what people usually do after college to work and then attend med school? Any ideas what I could do. I'm at a loss.

Members don't see this ad.

but my GPA is a 3.0, you guys know what people usually do after college to work and then attend med school? Any ideas what I could do. I'm at a loss.
I would do some post bac science classes. A 3.0 is kind of low and I dont think a medium mcat score will help it much. You could also get a research job and get another letter of rec , possibly a publication. Which may help offset your low gpa.

Reason being. A low gpa (4 yrs of college) and a medium mcat (one day) indicates that you got lucky on that one day of testing. (may not be true but some intervieweres will see it that way):luck:

Why is your GPA that low? Do you have any credits left with which you could bring it up a bit or at least show an upward trend? AWESOME job on the MCAT though!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would do some post bac science classes. A 3.0 is kind of low and I dont think a medium mcat score will help it much. You could also get a research job and get another letter of rec , possibly a publication. Which may help offset your low gpa.

Reason being. A low gpa (4 yrs of college) and a medium mcat (one day) indicates that you got lucky on that one day of testing. (may not be true but some intervieweres will see it that way):luck:

I couldn't disagree more. 37S is not a "medium" MCAT. It's a very good score. The GPA needs work, and I don't think anyone will dispute it. However, OP's "magic number" would still be about 67. Most mid-tier schools are around 60-70. Some post-bac courses would be ideal, yes, but OP may stand a change now if they apply broadly enough.

Unless you're on an AdCom, please don't suggest that someone who scores a 37S on their first try "got lucky". Maybe the OP just prepared well.

-z

Congrats on the MCAT! I agree with zipmedic...your GPA needs some work. If you have a reason for the low GPA, you could explain it in your PS. I think you have a shot if you apply broadly. For the next year, you could consider teaching for Kaplan and taking some classes to boost your GPA.

You definitely have a well-above average MCAT, so you should be proud of that. As you are well aware, I'm sure, your UGPA is well-below average. You are not the usual case. As mentioned above, you could stand a chance at some schools, but I don't think you'd be applying optimally. It's hard to really quantify your chances. In my opinion, for the best chance and most options, it would be good for you to consider an SMP or undergraduate post-baccalaureate work. You are an ideal candidate for Special Master's Programs (SMP), like the SMP at Georgetown University. These types of programs are designed for folks that have a good MCAT, but need to prove themselves academically. Another approach would be to take a few fulltime semesters of advanced undergraduate science classes and to trend A's. Either way, you would enhance your application by demonstrating your academic prowess.

Good luck. :luck:

Medium MCAT? According to AAMC percentile data, in 2006, out of the 70000 some MCATs taken only about 2300 scored higher than a 37. A 37 is not a medium score, its pretty freakin high.

The most efficient way now is to consider doing a special masters program. Do well in a program as such and with your great ecs and mcat...you'll have no problems entering into medical school.

Maybe u can try to apply to some medical schools now. A few lower tier MD schools that are more lenient on grades and to DO schools. You might have a shot at DOs schools if you dont care about the type of degree and dont want to spend an extra year doing masters or postbacc.

Just a little something to remember - don't take too much time with whatever you decide to do, because you'd really, really hate to have a score as good as a 37S (which is quite good) expire due to waiting too long.