Worried about my General Chemistry grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjg713

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My biggest worry in applying to dental school are my low grades from General Chem 1&2. My undergrad had a very tough Chemistry department and General Chemistry really isn't my strength. Chem 1 was split into 2 semesters (received a B for the first half but a C+ for the second half) and Chem 2 which was personally my toughest class I received a C. All of my other science grades are good including Orgo. I am also taking Biochemistry in the Fall and plan to do well in it. This shouldn't set me back if my overall science gpa is good and I do really well in the Chemistry section of the DAT, right? I mean I really don't have the time nor patience to have to retake these classes.

Members don't see this ad.

My biggest worry in applying to dental school are my low grades from General Chem 1&2. My undergrad had a very tough Chemistry department and General Chemistry really isn't my strength. Chem 1 was split into 2 semesters (received a B for the first half but a C+ for the second half) and Chem 2 which was personally my toughest class I received a C. All of my other science grades are good including Orgo. I am also taking Biochemistry in the Fall and plan to do well in it. This shouldn't set me back if my overall science gpa is good and I do really well in the Chemistry section of the DAT, right? I mean I really don't have the time nor patience to have to retake these classes.

Don't worry, there's not much you can do about it now. Yes, focus on getting as high as you can on the Chem section of the DAT and if you manage to score really well, it might compensate.

I figured that it's over and done with and it's not worth it to dwell over. I am sure many people every year get accepted with a few bad grades in required classes. I mean they all do technically take anything about a C so I am good. Also I am finishing up my post-bacc this Fall and everything has be stellar. I will start studying for the DAT soon and make sure I concentrate a lot on chemistry.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I figured that it's over and done with and it's not worth it to dwell over. I am sure many people every year get accepted with a few bad grade in required classes. I mean they all do technically take anything about a C so I am good. Also I am finishing up my post-bacc this Fall and everything has be stellar. I will start studying for the DAT soon and make sure I concentrate a lot on chemistry.

Good mindset :thumbup:

I nearly failed gen chem 1, 2, and 3. I passed gen chem 3 with... oh, 2 points excess out of 500+ for the C. Each of those was a 5 credit hour class. So needless to say, a 2.94 GPA average for the first 3 quarters of school (freshman year) looked bad. I averaged around a 3.7 every semester after that though, and have been told by multiple people (including admissions staff) that they look for trends. So if you did awful freshman year and made up for it, they'll be aware of it. You might want to include it in your personal statement as well, showing how you excelled later on.

Yeah, I am not too worried because I didn't even do "awful" my freshman year. I have no D's or F's on my transcript, Only around 3 classes I got a C+ in and the C in Chem 2 is my worst grade. For some reason I just struggled with this subject. I also have around 160-170 undergrad credits (have a bachelors degree and I am doing extra post-bacc classes).