This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IllegalSeal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Im just concerned about losing the whole upward trend thing by getting lower grades a semester before I apply.

I mean, what classes are you getting B/B’s in? If it’s not science/prereq I wouldn’t stress too much. You have a great DAT and solid GPA and you still have time to pull an A if you make 99999 on the final exam (jk, but don’t give up on whatever grade you’re aiming for).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean, what classes are you getting B/B’s in? If it’s not science/prereq I wouldn’t stress too much. You have a great DAT and solid GPA and you still have time to pull an A if you make 99999 on the final exam (jk, but don’t give up on whatever grade you’re aiming for).

Im at a low A in Calculus right now, and I think I can pull an A in quantitative chemical analysis, But that last one depends on how the ACS final is -_-. I have a really high A in Biochem 1 right now so Im not worried about that one, just the other two.

You’re being overly neurotic. Unless you’re dead set on Harvard you can relax. A 23 DAT makes up for a low GPA but yours is good.

Reactions: 3 users
Im at a low A in Calculus right now, and I think I can pull an A in quantitative chemical analysis, But that last one depends on how the ACS final is -_-. I have a really high A in Biochem 1 right now so Im not worried about that one, just the other two.

Definitely need to chill

Reactions: 2 users
Alright guys y'all need to chill out. It was a simple question. Just because you think the answer is obvious doesn't mean it's obvious to others, otherwise it wouldn't have been asked.

OP, you're fine. Don't worry about it as long as your GPA stays in that 3.6-3.7 range and doesn't just drop off a cliff. :)

First of all, your DAT is great, congratulations.
Your
GPA right now is also great.

If you are planning to go to the most selective schools (
Harvard comes to mind ), then the higher your GPA, the better chances you have.

However, for most schools, your GPA makes you a desirable student stats wise.

Yet, if you haven't done the other requirements such as:

• at least +70 hours shadowing (different dentists especially general dentists)
  • at least +100 volunteering ( any place would be fine)
  • Extracurricular activities ( like joining a club or sports team)
  • optional ( research experience or work experience)
  • A good personal statement
  • 3 LORs from professors that know you well + 1 from a dentist
  • Good conversational skills that help you during an interview.
, then your stats will not help that much.

So, yeah 2 B's are not ideal, but they won't ruin your chances of getting into dental schools.
If you can make one of these B's an A, that will be wonderful. Either case, you'll be fine stats wise.

You can drop to 3.5 and get all the interviews you want

....and I would say 300 hrs shadowing, 300 volunteering.

Btw, I have 3 C's on my transcript and 2 3.0 semesters

I am currently a junior getting ready to apply after next semester. My current GPA is a 3.63 and my science GPA is a 3.7. I just took the DAT this past summer and scored a 23. I am worried about this semester as I think I might get a B in one or two of my classes and I am concerned that will look really bad to have my GPA drop at all, right before I apply to D school. What do you guys think, is it something I should be overly concerned with?

I think you should work on your lack of situational awareness. 2 minutes of research would show you that you have exceeded the average. People skills are going to be deciding factor when you get an interview and that goes hand in hand with situational awareness.

Reactions: 5 users
I think everyone is overlooking what your question actually is about. Upward trend is important and so is doing well in your math and science courses closer to when you apply.

What you need to do is buckle down and finish strong. If you do still end up with a B or 2, don’t sweat it, you have next semester to make up for it. I applied with a lot lower GPA than you and have had multiple interviews, so don’t get caught up in the numbers, make sure the rest of your application is strong as well.

You’re being overly neurotic. Unless you’re dead set on Harvard you can relax. A 23 DAT makes up for a low GPA but yours is good.
Bless. I needed to hear that lol. When it’s getting down close to application time all the little finite things start to eat away at you.
I think everyone is overlooking what your question actually is about. Upward trend is important and so is doing well in your math and science courses closer to when you apply.

What you need to do is buckle down and finish strong. If you do still end up with a B or 2, don’t sweat it, you have next semester to make up for it. I applied with a lot lower GPA than you and have had multiple interviews, so don’t get caught up in the numbers, make sure the rest of your application is strong as well.
I appreciate it bud. Yeah you hit the nail on the head. The main point of my question wasn’t exactly about how my stats will look in general, but the effect of some possible fluctuation in the upwards GPA trend right before I apply. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.