kingdomheart

2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi guys! I'm going to be starting my sophomore year on the 29th of August and I'm kinda worried about my course load and research. So I'm taking 4 classes adding up to 16 credits, General Physiology w/ lab, Organic chemistry w/ lab, World civilization 2 (gen ed) , Art history (gen ed). On top of this I want to get involed in research, so I emailed couple of the faculty members and got some offers. The research I'm most interested in, is in the best hospital in my city, the minimum commitment level is 3 credits (adding up to a total of 19 credits) and 12 hrs/week (not including weekends).
So far I've maintained a pretty good GPA through my 3 semesters (took a gap semester) 3.96. Im just worried this semester seems quite heavy. So my question is are all researches like this, like 12 hrs/week? And is this manageable? Anyone here face something similar ( and I know a lot of you have, I'm just looking for some inspiration

eteshoe

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2016
Tethys, Saturn
Status
MD/PhD Student
Ultimately it will come down to how well you work under an overload schedule. I handled it well during my UG, but then again I didn't have such a high GPA to protect.

Your schedule has two decently involved courses (ochem + physio) and two gen eds that seem easy enough (assuming you're good at memorizing lol) + a typical research load (12-15 hrs/wk is pretty typical). Depending on your PI, you may be able to modulate your hrs during the wk (especially an exam wks) so that you just come in extra hrs on the weekend if you end up being too busy to hit all 12 hrs during the week (which I assume is a 3 afternoon/evenings w/ ~ 4 hrs of work).

If you're worried, I'd drop either the physio (take later unless it's a required course in your major's sequence) or one of the gen eds.

Reactions: kingdomheart
OP
kingdomheart

kingdomheart

2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Ultimately it will come down to how well you work under an overload schedule. I handled it well during my UG, but then again I didn't have such a high GPA to protect.

Your schedule has two decently involved courses (ochem + physio) and two gen eds that seem easy enough (assuming you're good at memorizing lol) + a typical research load (12-15 hrs/wk is pretty typical). Depending on your PI, you may be able to modulate your hrs during the wk (especially an exam wks) so that you just come in extra hrs on the weekend if you end up being too busy to hit all 12 hrs during the week (which I assume is a 3 afternoon/evenings w/ ~ 4 hrs of work).

If you're worried, I'd drop either the physio (take later unless it's a required course in your major's sequence) or one of the gen eds.
Thanks for the reply! I'm probably going to look into the other research offers I got, because this research requires me to drive to the hospital (20 mins away) and I wouldn't be able to focus enough on my gpa. So im going to look somewhere on-campus. It is going to be tough managing this, but thats what we signed up for.