Worried about stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dogtown z-boy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am kind of worried...I have a 3.3 overall 3.4 science, but my junior and senior year is 3.65 overall and 3.70 science. MCAT 33 (8 V, 13 PS, 12 BS).
I havent done any clinical volunteer work because I have had to pay my way through college, but I work as a research assistant right now and have been doing so for the past year.
I feel that becuase of my jobs, I havent been able to do as much as other applicants. Am I screwed?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems as though you're on track with everything except clinical/volunteer. Not everyone admitted to med schools has done clinical/volunteer work, but I would be most have and that most med schools will want to see it. Not that you can't get in without it, but it would definitely make your application stronger since your GPA is a bit weak early on. (Of course, it also depends where you went to school. A 3.5 from one school might be great, but it might not be so great from another.) You also might be able to explain your financial situation and limited time constraints on your app. That's all I'll say about that since I'm not an admissions person and am not an expert on the subject by any means.
What I really wanted to say is that I'm currently volunteering at a hospital in the NICU holding babies. While it only takes 2-3 hours/week, I feel like I am really learning a lot and am making a difference. There are some activities that require very little time but are very worthwhile. If you have 2-3 hrs/week to spare, I'd definitely recommend doing something like this.

Hi,
I was in a similiar position a year ago when I applied. I had good grades and MCAT lower then yours (9-10-10). I worked alot during school as well, so I have no medical experience whatsoever. I also only had one volunteer experience. Anywho, you are definitely not screwed. I got four interviews (which I was very happy about considering my lack of medical exp and weak volunteer exp). The main thing I did was bring it up during my interviews. I stressed my other commitments to work and therefore did not have time to do the necessary exps. I always addressed the issue and did not try to hide it. I focused on my strengths and it seemed to have work. If you have anymore questions, email or PM me...good luck!

David

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey dogtown, I don't think your chances are bad at all. I would definitely apply to a large range of schools to keep your options open.

My stats were not as high as yours last year, becuse I worked a lot. I spent a lot of time worried about my application and finding fault with grades, mcat, etc.., when really, what's done is done. Once I realized that, I focused on the interview and tried to prepare for is as best I could. My doctor also volunteered his time to go over my application with me and give me some interview advice (he was on the admissions committee but was not part of the group that voted for me). I did get in and I believe a lot of it had to do with my work experience and my interview. A good interview can really make your case, so don't let anyone here tell you otherwise.

Admissions committees are only human and they understand that not everybody can do a lot of extracurricular stuff because they HAVE to work. At this point, just try and keep your grades up this year and start really working on your interview. Keep up with current events and start reading USAToday, today, not tomorrow or next week. Smile when you talk and look at people in the eye. Speak with confidence and don't let your voice crack, and above all, if asked about low grades or whatever seems "bad" on your application, don't make excuses. Just take responsibility for it and explain what happened. If you are nervous and say something silly, just tell them you're a little nervous. They probably are too. Interviewing people is more difficult than it looks.

It worked for me....

Other than the verbal score, your stats are really good. I think should definitely apply to a wide range of schools. I don't think this 8 will keep you out of medical school, but you should be a little bit nervous because of it. So don't apply to only top 30 schools... apply to a few top 30 schools too. Just apply to a LOT of schools. Apply to as many as you can afford.

And if it's at all possible, start doing some clinical volunteering NOW! and include it on your AMCAS. Even if it's just once a week for 2 hours. Something is much better than nothing.

Good luck :)

Get some clinical experience and apply to a wide range of schools.

Your MCATs are somewhat decent (yeah it's a 33 but that 8 hurts), your grades are nothing special (Hey I'm being honest).

You have SOME research experience..but no clinical. In my opinion you would be most competitive at lower teir schools, and MIGHT get some middle teir ones to bite.

What would I do if I were you?

I would look into gettin my EMT certification and then do some work ASAP in a hospital. Work for an entire summer or something. You can update your application after you get a job as an EMT. I would also quit the research job. You already have research experience and having more won't really help.

With more clinical experience I think that you MIGHT have better luck at the middle ranked schools. I really don't see the top schools going after someone with no clinical experience and an 8 MCAT.

If I were you I'd pick out 1 or 2 dream schools AT MOST in the top teir and apply to them. I'd apply to a handful of middle teir schools, and I'd put the bulk of my applications in the third teir category.

Good Luck.