Worried about step 2!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USIMGgrad

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just finished half of the questions on Qbank and I am averaging 65% (53-78). I am now worried cause my exam is in 2 weeks and I am not sure if I am really ready. I thinking of postponing another month and reread Crush and selected kaplan topics. I would appreciate any advise. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Relax. I averaged around a 70%, and I just got my scores back. 227.

So just take the thing!:clap:

Congratulation Finally M3. If you don't mind, what is your 2 digit score?

Any other advice out there?

Thanks

I just took it today. I was averaging 61% on qbank (48-76), and 75 on the released items. The real test is harder. I'm really just hoping that I passed. It's gonna be a long 6 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought step II was supposed to be 'cake' -- what gives?

Doesn't the saying go: "2 months, 2 weeks and 2 pencils?" (Regarding preparation necessary for steps 1,2 and 3, respectively?)

Seriously, all I ever hear is how much easier step 2 is...what's the deal?

Originally posted by m4kim
do people really study 2 months for step 1???

1 month is probably closer for most, but 2 months isn't uncommon, especially if you have the time.

227 / 92.

Dunno what the two digit means...mean from 1st time US Med/Canadian Med is a 216, SD 23.

Good luck!:clap:

PS if you want an ego boost, do the set of questions from NBME. Those a really easy. However, I think the level of difficulty of the real thing is better represented by QBank.

all I ever hear is how much easier step 2 is...what's the deal?

according to adam brochert in the intro. to "crush step 2", the difficulty of steps 1 & 2 are equal, so don't underestimate step 2. it could be that step 2 used to be "cake", but not anymore.

Hey guys,
I remember when taking step 1, there was a way to get a discount through a promotional code. Is there one for step 2?
if anyone knows a code that would give me a discount or extend the life of the account 1 month to 3 months. I would appreciate it.

thanks

I did Boards and Wards, NMS questions and the Q-bank for step 2

Avg on NMS was about 65-70

Q-bank avg was 70-75

Scores came today, 235/95

The q-bank q's were very similar in difficulty but shorter than the real thing. NMS was just plain evil.

The day before, I did the q's that come w/registration. 95 avg.

The main thing was the legnth of the stems on the real thing.

hope this helps

Good luck to all
-C

if you call them and ask for a discount for your school you can get one. i got our class a 25% discount by guaranteeing >50% enrollment (actual was about 95%)

tetris said:
according to adam brochert in the intro. to "crush step 2", the difficulty of steps 1 & 2 are equal

That statement, of course, made by an entity with a small stake in the matter. Of course the makers of Step 2 materials will want students to think that Step 2 is as hard as Step 1.

Everyone I've ever talked to (who's taken both) has stated that Step 2 was much easier than Step 1. Most people on SDN feel this way as well.

I think it is considered to be easier because people on average prepare less for it, are less worried about it. If you take it after your res'y apps are processed, it becomes more of a pass/fail type of test. The curve therefor ends up to be definitely lower than Step 1.

The questions on the actual test, though, are not easy at all. Unless you are a master of clinical management, or else study really hard for the test... It is a grueling 9 hour behemoth, the questions are often vague, the answer you want is not there, instead there are multiple equally acceptable answers.

anyone know of a way to get some free USMLE questions? I heard that the USMLE released some questions. I am taking it next week-Step 2, kind of late to buy Qbank now. Any chance anyone knows of some quick available UMSLE-type questions? I have already done all of NMS. Thanks!

the nbme website has released questions if you look for the step 2 ck page and then there is a pdf with the questions and answers (not explained- thought kaplan has the explanations) and there are also two different programs- prometric and FRED that you can use to simulate the exam- i think the prometric program is the one they are currently using with the real test- according to someone who recently took the exam. the released questions aren;t very hard- but they are free. good luck.