Worried about the future of being a pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feedmeporkbelly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior in college in the middle of applying to pharmacy schools. I'm just worried because I've already put in so much of my time and money into getting the pre-reqs for pharmacy school but I've been hearing so many bad things about the future of pharmacy. One of the reasons I'm getting into pharmacy is because of job security but it seems like the field is the opposite of what I had hoped, at least from the articles/threads I've read. I'm an international student with an F-1 visa and I'm worried about being employed after graduation, as I've heard that most chain pharmacies no longer even consider hiring F-1 students. Should go forward with my decision of pharmacy or should I consider getting out when I can? I don't know what to do :(

I would love to hear some insight from current grads looking for employment or anyone in the same boat as I am.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Get out while you can, and switch your major to computer science, business, finance, or engineering. If you have a strong GPA, I would consider med or PA schools.

Paradoxically, computer science graduates are in very high demand right now. It should be relatively easy to get a technology company to sponsor you. You also do not need to spend loads of money on tuition.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you want to go into pharmacy, expect to work hard and sacrifice much during your four (or three) years in the program. I can't say much about clinical pharmacy, but if you consider retail, then I'd highly, highly recommend that you get yourself an internship position with a chain ASAP. Keep that position down and work during school to minimize the loans you take out; only take out what you absolutely cannot afford to pay off on your own. It will be very difficult, but you'll set yourself up into a better financial position than the students who take out loans for virtually every single expense (which happens a lot more than you think).

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone is preaching "change your major to CS" that job market will soon flood too.. And as far as medicine there is a new DO school popping up pretty frequently, and if anything a a decline in residency positions over the next ten years. Its happening all around us in everything.

Do your research and listen to your instincts. There will be many people who want to discourage/encourage you. Don't feed into the "we're doomed" mentality as its mainly said to deter people and curve the future saturation issue.

The job market is already bad enough as it is for US citizens. I cannot even imagine how difficult it would be for the OP as an international student, especially since most of the chains stopped sponsoring international students as of 2010 and many of the positions get hundreds of applicants that are citizens. It's far too great of a risk to spend $120k+ in tuition and 4 years of schooling only to not be able to find a sponsor and be forced to go back to your home country.

Your chances of getting sponsored are far better as a computer programmer or in a field that is currently in demand.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that pharmacy schools in the States accept International Students because Canadian pharm schools do not. One thing to keep in mind is that pharmacy is quite different in different countries so if you do get your degree and can't stay, you'll need to find out to see if your degree is recognized in other countries that you're considering post-grad.

I'm surprised that pharmacy schools in the States accept International Students because Canadian pharm schools do not. One thing to keep in mind is that pharmacy is quite different in different countries so if you do get your degree and can't stay, you'll need to find out to see if your degree is recognized in other countries that you're considering post-grad.

That's a really good point. I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

The job market is already bad enough as it is for US citizens. I cannot even imagine how difficult it would be for the OP as an international student, especially since most of the chains stopped sponsoring international students as of 2010 and many of the positions get hundreds of applicants that are citizens. It's far too great of a risk to spend $120k+ in tuition and 4 years of schooling only to not be able to find a sponsor and be forced to go back to your home country.

Your chances of getting sponsored are far better as a computer programmer or in a field that is currently in demand.

Would my chances of being employed be better if I had a green card?

Do your research and listen to your instincts. There will be many people who want to discourage/encourage you. Don't feed into the "we're doomed" mentality as its mainly said to deter people and curve the future saturation issue.

Haha, that's what I was hoping this trend would do; discourage people from getting into pharmacy and maybe shift the supply curve to the left :p

Keep your debts low and your options open, if you do that you can make it in any health care profession. Anyone that says otherwise is wrong.

Luckily my parents will be helping me out with the tuition so I won't have as much debt. What kind of options do you mean? Like locations? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to go into pharmacy, expect to work hard and sacrifice much during your four (or three) years in the program. I can't say much about clinical pharmacy, but if you consider retail, then I'd highly, highly recommend that you get yourself an internship position with a chain ASAP. Keep that position down and work during school to minimize the loans you take out; only take out what you absolutely cannot afford to pay off on your own. It will be very difficult, but you'll set yourself up into a better financial position than the students who take out loans for virtually every single expense (which happens a lot more than you think).

This may be a stupid question but what kind of intern position would that be? Like as a student pharmacist? Would I be able to do that with my international student status? Thanks.

Would my chances of being employed be better if I had a green card?

It would be much better, but the job market is bad even for US citizens.

Haha, that's what I was hoping this trend would do; discourage people from getting into pharmacy and maybe shift the supply curve to the left :p

Even the new pharmacy schools seem to have no problem filling their seats, even if it means admitting applicants that are not even qualified. It will probably continue to shift to the right for a while before it begins to shift to the left.

This may be a stupid question but what kind of intern position would that be? Like as a student pharmacist? Would I be able to do that with my international student status? Thanks.

As long as you have state intern license (I think), you can apply to be a pharmacy intern regardless of being international status or not. You'd be classified as a pharmacy intern/intern pharmacist/whatever the pharmacy labels you as.

As long as you have state intern license (I think), you can apply to be a pharmacy intern regardless of being international status or not. You'd be classified as a pharmacy intern/intern pharmacist/whatever the pharmacy labels you as.

I see, I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

Stay far, far away from pharmacy while you still can. I too went into the field with aspirations of making good money and a huge demand for work. But it is totally the opposite of what it was when I first applied to what it is today. Luckily I landed a job, but I know a lot of classmates and colleagues from other schools that still do not have a job. Best of luck.

Everyone is preaching "change your major to CS" that job market will soon flood too.. And as far as medicine there is a new DO school popping up pretty frequently, and if anything a a decline in residency positions over the next ten years. Its happening all around us in everything.

Humm...wrong on so many fronts.

1. If anything, there is a yearly INCREASE of residency slots, not decrease.

2. MD/DOs have no problem matching into residency provided they are realistic in their goals (you can't expect to match into Hopkins plastic surgery when you score a mean on USMLE). There are still an excess of residency slot. Approx 1.4 residency slots per US med student and the leftovers are taken up by FMG/IMG.

3. Once finished with residency, finding a job for MD/DOs is not something to be worried about. You might have to take a hit on paycheck in big cities and maybe less desirable hours and such..but finding a job? Non-issue.

Last edited:

2. MD/DOs have no problem if matching into residency provided they are realistic in their goals (you can't expect to match into Hopkins plastic surgery when you score a mean on USMLE). There are still an excess of residency slots. Approx 1.4 residency slots per US med student and the leftovers are taken up by FMG/IMG.

3. Once finished with residency, finding a job for MD/DOs is not something to be worried about. You might have to take a hit on paycheck in big cities and maybe less desirable hours and such..but finding a job? Non-issue.

Medicine, nursing; all have lobbyists in Congress, NIH (especially medicine and dentistry) funds medical and dental students that do research in the joint PhD programs. Pharmacy is still struggling to gain some type of traction with provider status (nurses and physicians will not be happy about this). Nothing like the Flexner requirements to open up a new pharmacy school (all you need is a building and some staff members with access to student loans).

2. MD/DOs have no problem matching into residency provided they are realistic in their goals (you can't expect to match into Hopkins plastic surgery when you score a mean on USMLE). There are still an excess of residency slot. Approx 1.4 residency slots per US med student and the leftovers are taken up by FMG/IMG.

As residency is funded by Medicare, there won't be an increase anytime soon.

Actually you're wrong.

Where is proof of the increase in residency slots? The affordable care act cuts funding to residency programs.... Even IF you're right that there are an increase in residency positions consider this one chief: Say for example a new DO school opens up every three years, theres' 150+ additional students in the residency applicant pool. Say for every ONE medical school opening there are TWO residency programs opening = 150+ students :30-50 residency slots (depending on program)

TO SUMMARIZE: The ratio will be in the student favor soon enough.