Worried about the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mastamark

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I will be taking an examkrackers prep course starting in Feb. I am planning on taking the MCAT on a date in either April or May. I havent gotten any materials from EK yet, but I got curious and went to the bookstore and bought a Kaplan prep book just to get started. After scanning through the questions I instantly had a WTF moment, where I don't remember much of the material and some things just seem foreign to me. Has anyone else had one of these moments or am I just screwed? :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Man you are screwed!!, you should now all the material by now.:smuggrin: Yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about, I got the EK complete package couple days back. When I was looking through the EK books I was freaking out about all the material that we are supposed to know. Be sure to take a look at the AAMC topic list to have an idea of whats going to be tested on the MCAT. I've heard that there is a lot of detail in the kaplan book that you really don't have to know for the MCAT. Dont worry about not knowing everything right now, it will all come back during the course.

I took the MCAT this past August and got a 32. It looks intimidating, but it's not that bad. You probably went straight to the questions in that Kaplan book without referring to the passage that accompanied it. A lot of the MCAT is just deciphering the passage and answering questions accordingly.

If you did well in the prereq's for the MCAT and truly understood the material, then you will do fine.

Hello all,
I will be taking an examkrackers prep course starting in Feb. I am planning on taking the MCAT on a date in either April or May. I havent gotten any materials from EK yet, but I got curious and went to the bookstore and bought a Kaplan prep book just to get started. After scanning through the questions I instantly had a WTF moment, where I don't remember much of the material and some things just seem foreign to me. Has anyone else had one of these moments or am I just screwed? :scared:

Hey mastamark, I'm also taking the EK course in Feb and haven't received my books either. Where in IL are you taking the course? And don't worry too much about not knowing the material well right now. After reading the review book once through it starts to come back. We got a good three months before the test, which should hopefully be enough time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey mastamark, I'm also taking the EK course in Feb and haven't received my books either. Where in IL are you taking the course? And don't worry too much about not knowing the material well right now. After reading the review book once through it starts to come back. We got a good three months before the test, which should hopefully be enough time.

Me and two other classmates have signed up for the course over at UIC. I live in the southwest burbs and it was the closest. I don't know where the loyola course is going to be so I just stuck with that one. I will be driving about 45 minutes twice a week to get there. And twice a month on saturday. :eek:

it's very natural to be freaking out and intimidated seeing mcat questions for the first time. I was curious when i was in BN and glanced at a USMLE Step 1 book because it was on sale and immediately got worried. MCAT just requires some practice and will become very doable once you review your basic sciences.

Me and two other classmates have signed up for the course over at UIC. I live in the southwest burbs and it was the closest. I don't know where the loyola course is going to be so I just stuck with that one. I will be driving about 45 minutes twice a week to get there. And twice a month on saturday. :eek:

don't worry...MCAT is meant to be intimidating. I remeber when i looked at the EK bio i was terrified that i forgot everything...but then it appeared that it's not the case.
Just do it one step at the time and by the test day you will be just fine.
Like the other poster said here elier you can decipher a lot of info from the passage you just have to feel confident and not freak out to do it.
MCAT is not as bad as it looks.
:luck: