Worried about these people...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JuicyDay

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
aight, so i'm a fairly recent member, but i HAVE to comment on some of these ridiculous threads that i don't remember seeing a while ago (like in december).

I am talking about threads like, "Oh no! I got an 11 on VR and i'm going to CRY!!"

and like, "OMG! I got a B+! I'll never get to med school!!"

and also, "Please tell me that my GPA is high enough!! Please Please tell me that a 3.99999999999 is ok! I was sick the day i lost the 0.000000000001 from my GPA!!"

Jeez. I am worried about these people. I mean, it's one thing to be a perfectionist gpa-wise and mcat-wise. That's not even the worst part.

The frightening part is that they don't know what issues are important versus unimportant. I mean, say the person that got a B+ got another B+. Is that going to drive him/her over the edge? Sure sounds like it. Will s/he abandon hopes and dreams of being a doctor to weep in a corner? Quite possibly. It's these things that worry me about some of these premeds. Take a step back to get a full perspective on things, people!!!

So all i have to say to them is this: If you keep this up, you won't be able to help people-- you'll NEED help.

Stability Now.

Members don't see this ad.

JuicyDay said:
aight, so i'm a fairly recent member, but i HAVE to comment on some of these ridiculous threads that i don't remember seeing a while ago (like in december).

I am talking about threads like, "Oh no! I got an 11 on VR and i'm going to CRY!!"

and also, "Please tell me that my GPA is high enough!! Please Please tell me that a 3.99999999999 is ok! I was sick the day i lost the 0.000000000001 from my GPA!!"

Jeez. I am worried about these people. I mean, it's one thing to be a perfectionist gpa-wise and mcat-wise. That's not even the worst part.

The frightening part is that they don't know what issues are important versus unimportant. I mean, say the person that got a B+ got another B+. Is that going to drive him/her over the edge? Sure sounds like it. Will s/he abandon hopes and dreams of being a doctor to weep in a corner? Quite possibly. It's these things that worry me about some of these premeds. Take a step back to get a full perspective on things, people!!!

So all i have to say to them is this: If you keep this up, you won't be able to help people-- you'll NEED help.

Stability Now.

I got a 50Z. Do I have a chance of getting in?

Members don't see this ad :)
JuicyDay said:

Stability Now.

I think when they say, "Oh no! I got an 11 on VR and i'm going to CRY!!"

they actually mean, "oh no I am not going to get into Harvard, JHu, Yale... other top medical schools, and I am not going to get derm residency, and I am not going to marry a hot playboy model, and I am not going to drive mercedes, and die a miserable, average boring life."

losers

JuicyDay said:

Stability Now.

Shut up n00b

'

Last edited:
JuicyDay said:

To be fair .. in all honesty I seriously did make 11 on VR and I really did have 10 waitlists last year and 0 (that's ZERO) acceptances.... so it's entirely possible.. and incredibly s hitty.

JuicyDay said:

Stability Now.

Juiceday, take a look at the lounge and all these random posts will make alot of sense.

-coomassie

sorry lounge lizards but some of these peeps might be taking you guys a bit too seriously

These posts are relatively infrequent and you are also misunderstanding the OPs intentions of the two posts that you referenced.

It's a shame that people flame others because they get defensive when people (not trolls) ask real questions or voice concerns about getting into med school. Especially when this whole process is relative. We all have our own expectations. For some it is getting into any school for others it is about trying to get into a top program somewhere.

My advice is if you don't like the title of a post, rather than get upset, do not read it.

Megalofyia said:
To be fair .. in all honesty I seriously did make 11 on VR and I really did have 10 waitlists last year and 0 (that's ZERO) acceptances.... so it's entirely possible.. and incredibly s hitty.

well to fairly evaluate that, what schools did you apply to and what else did your app reveal about you? How do you interview? What were your LORs like? Maybe you only applied to top schools and had a 3.0 gpa, so you cna't just mention a verbal score and expect it to be meaningful.

JuicyDay said:

Stability Now.

for some people, academics is their forte. you have to understand, that one B+ in a transcript lined with As is disconcerting to someone who aims for perfection. just like one wrong note to a concert pianist is disconcerting. is it good to whine or become depressed about it? no, but give 'em a break. and if they annoy you, then ignore them.

JuicyDay said:

Stability Now.

At least some of these threads are made up, and are simply satirizing the almost daily numerical concerns raised by posters on this board. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about the psychological health of most of these posters, a few years of growing up (in or out of med school) will cure most of this.

Law2Doc said:
At least some of these threads are made up, and are simply satirizing the almost daily numerical concerns raised by posters on this board. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about the psychological health of most of these posters, a few years of growing up (in or out of med school) will cure most of this.
I don't know if a few years of growing up will do it for many of these kids... It seems to me from my experiences, that these instincts don't really change with time.. It's the rat race mentality. And I'm sure all of you have seen evidence of it in your respective pre-med classes. But unfortunately, there's a lot of them in our profession, so get used it. On the bright side, there's plenty of us who are in it for the right reasons.

Although it does seem a bit crazy to complain about a B+ or an 11 or the like, It pleases me that med school applicants are crazy perfectionists. Though occasionally irksome, crazy perfectionists can often be very interesting and pleasant people (though occasionally a little off the deep end) despite their gung-ho nature. Honestly, I don't want my physician to be content with just "getting by" or knowing "just enough". Whether you got a B+ or an A doesn't really matter. I just wanna know if you have the desire to know it as well as possible. (Getting an A would be nice)