Worried about what to do now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalPedical

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm applying to Canadian medical schools and I know SDN is American. I posted this on premed101 and received no replies so I'm hoping SDN will be of more help :)

I've been reading a lot of posts and researching and am still unsure of where I stand. I need some guidance on where I stand and how I could improve my chances so here are my stats:

- I am entering 4th year of Biomedical Science

- GPA
1st year: 3.79
2nd year: 3.53
3rd year: 3.87
4th year: 3.9+ (confident I will)

- There shouldn't be a problem with my letters (one from family doc I shadowed, one from company I tutored ESL kids for, one from my prof who I know will write a great letter).

- Won't list all the EC, but here are the highlights:
doc shadowing, hospital volunteering (2+ years during high school), hospital co-op during high school, hospital volunteering again at new hospital during uni, tutoring uni students, tutoring ESL kids, kids help phone volunteer, exec of 3 clubs, I attend around 4 conferences/ year, coordinator and volunteer for several yearly events (stem cell research, brain day, project serve, etc.), let's talk science presenter, planning committee for TED Talks conference, retirement home volunteer, international language program volunteer (3+ years in high school), 2 years research project (no publication), presenter for outreach program, cultural involvements (volunteer with diff communities), volunteer at medical centre with project serve, and event planner of my community for 2 years.

- Writing the MCAT this summer. Anticipated score 30-32

- Extra info that may be relevant: I'm female, white, Canadian citizen, immigrant (from France), fluent in English, fluent in French, fluent in German, and only applying in Ontario (not Ottawa med school).

If I don't get accepted the first time I apply (this summer), I can improve my application (VIDA trip, clinical job, research, etc.). What I am worried about is my GPA. My cGPA will be around 3.77 and my wGPA will be around 3.82 depending on the school. Cumulative percentage is 86%+ and I'm on Dean's Honours List and will graduate with Distinction. Should I think about doing a 5th year? I REALLY REALLY don't want to but if the other parts of application can't compensate for it then I have no choice
frown.gif

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I'm applying to Canadian medical schools and I know SDN is American. I posted this on premed101 and received no replies so I'm hoping SDN will be of more help :)

I've been reading a lot of posts and researching and am still unsure of where I stand. I need some guidance on where I stand and how I could improve my chances so here are my stats:

- I am entering 4th year of Biomedical Science

- GPA
1st year: 3.79
2nd year: 3.53
3rd year: 3.86
4th year: 3.9+ (confident I will)

- There shouldn't be a problem with my letters (one from family doc I shadowed, one from company I tutored ESL kids for, one from my prof who I know will write a great letter).

- Won't list all the EC, but here are the highlights:
doc shadowing, hospital volunteering (2+ years during high school), hospital co-op during high school, hospital volunteering again at new hospital during uni, tutoring uni students, tutoring ESL kids, started medical club at uni, president of 2 clubs, kids help phone volunteer, exec of 3 clubs, hosted presentations by surgeons and doctors, I attend around 4 conferences/ year, coordinator and volunteer for several yearly events (stem cell research, brain day, project serve, etc.), let's talk science presenter, developed website and founded medical website, planning committee for TED Talks conference, retirement home volunteer, international language program volunteer (3+ years in high school), 2 years research project (no publication), presenter for outreach program, cultural involvements (volunteer with diff communities), volunteer at medical centre with project serve, and event planner of my community for 2 years. My club involvements (exec and president positions) are diverse- i.e. refugees, world hunger, humanity, premed, etc.

- Writing the MCAT this summer. Anticipated score 31-35

- Extra info that may be relevant: I'm female, white, Canadian citizen, immigrant (from France), fluent in English, fluent in French, fluent in German, and only applying in Ontario (not Ottawa med school).

If I don't get accepted the first time I apply (this summer), I can improve my application (VIDA trip, clinical job, research, etc.). What I am worried about is my GPA. My cGPA will be around 3.77 and my wGPA will be around 3.82 depending on the school. Cumulative percentage is 86%+ and I'm on Dean's Honours List and will graduate with Distinction. Should I think about doing a 5th year? I REALLY REALLY don't want to but if the other parts of application can't compensate for it then I have no choice
frown.gif

Thank you!
I suggest you edit your title to include the word "Canadian" so as to attract the proper expertise. You might also consider a Search using the search term Canadian in the WAMC forum, to review old threads of interest and possibly even get the names of some current members to PM about posting on your thread.

I suggest you edit your title to include the word "Canadian" so as to attract the proper expertise. You might also consider a Search using the search term Canadian in the WAMC forum, to review old threads of interest and possibly even get the names of some current members to PM about posting on your thread.

Thank you. I'm new to this website and don't know how to edit the title :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally don't think a 3.77 GPA is a reason to take another year of university. That's for those who have a way lower GPA or not as impressive EC as yourself. Your app looks stellar to me.