Worried about what to do..please advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocky90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took my DAT today and here is the breakdown

PAT:17
QR:17
RC:20
Bio:17
Orgo:19
Gen chem: 20
TS:18
AA:19

My sGPA is 3.85 and overall 3.89. The bio and PAT hurts and am not happy with the score. But my question is do I still have a chance. I am a postbac with a research background and I havent turned in my app yet since I was waiting for the score to come in. Should I apply or retake? If yes which schools would be better to apply given the low bio and pat (and of course the AA). I am really confused about the whole thing and would really really appreciate any suggestions so that I can go ahead and apply if I have a chance.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a chance. Last year's DAT for matriculants was 19.6 according to ADEA. You're not too far off. Your GPA is much higher. Maybe the adcom will appreciate that. Good luck!

My sGPA is 3.85 and overall 3.89. The bio and PAT hurts and am not happy with the score. But my question is do I still have a chance. I am a postbac with a research background and I havent turned in my app yet since I was waiting for the score to come in. Should I apply or retake? If yes which schools would be better to apply given the low bio and pat (and of course the AA). I am really confused about the whole thing and would really really appreciate any suggestions so that I can go ahead and apply if I have a chance.
Thanks.[/Q]

I would call the schools you are interested in, I had a low bio score too and called some schools to get their opinion... also check predents.com for the stats for last years' incoming class, I found out about this website after I applied and it showed that some of the schools i applied to had higher averages than what their webpages say.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would call the schools you are interested in, I had a low bio score too and called some schools to get their opinion... also check predents.com for the stats for last years' incoming class, I found out about this website after I applied and it showed that some of the schools i applied to had higher averages than what their webpages say.

Solid advice. I would add: take what you see on predents with a grain of salt, considering that it's a limited sample size.

Do the schools look at the PAT too since I have a 17 in that? Is that considered very low.

Thanks.

I would apply with those scores..... you have a very high GPA, and GPA is a big admission criteria.

those scores will not keep you out. as long as you have decent interview skills you will be fine. a lot of schools can care less about pat, but some love it. so do your research and you will be fine.

depends. if you are a bio major, than an 18TS and a 17BIO does not look great coupled with that great gpa of yours ( does not match up). what state are you from?

If you are really concerned, contact the schools and speak with them. This way, you can tell them your situation and they'll give you sound advice; plus you get your name in there.

depends. if you are a bio major, than an 18TS and a 17BIO does not look great coupled with that great gpa of yours ( does not match up). what state are you from?

I kind of disagree with this. I don't know that an 18 TS is a red flag, considering it is average. I agree that there is a bit of a discrepancy, but I don't think it is significant enough to stop him from applying. Even as a bio major, I think the upper level classes would still give him an advantage given his strong GPA, which to me is a better indicator of being able to handle the work load of dental school. I mean no offense, I'm just throwing my opinion out there.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and apply. Apply to state schools, and schools that accept a good number of OOS applicants. I think with your GPA, you will get a few interviews.

I kind of disagree with this. I don't know that an 18 TS is a red flag, considering it is average. I agree that there is a bit of a discrepancy, but I don't think it is significant enough to stop him from applying. Even as a bio major, I think the upper level classes would still give him an advantage given his strong GPA, which to me is a better indicator of being able to handle the work load of dental school. I mean no offense, I'm just throwing my opinion out there.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and apply. Apply to state schools, and schools that accept a good number of OOS applicants. I think with your GPA, you will get a few interviews.

Your argument is valid. It really depends on the ADCOMs view on this. You can either assume this was not a true performance of the OP and his gpa is a more valid predictor of future performance, or that the OP's undergrad institute may be relatively less rigorous relative to other schools, which is evident by his BIO and TS scores. If the OP's university is a complete unknown, then the OP may be more scrutinized on his DAT performance. On the other and, if the OP's university is well known and reputable, then the OP's gpa would be taken into account more seriously. a 19AA/18TS/17PAT is not very competitive, but clearly their gpa is very competitive.
Should you apply? Yes.
Should you Retake? Probably, depending on what state you are from, whether you are a URM or not.

Apply! You have a slightly below average DAT and a very high GPA. If you average those out you have an average to slightly above average profile assuming everything else is on par. Send your app out to a fair amount of schools smartly and see what happens. If you do not get in then retake...good luck..

Your argument is valid. It really depends on the ADCOMs view on this. You can either assume this was not a true performance of the OP and his gpa is a more valid predictor of future performance, or that the OP's undergrad institute may be relatively less rigorous relative to other schools, which is evident by his BIO and TS scores. If the OP's university is a complete unknown, then the OP may be more scrutinized on his DAT performance. On the other and, if the OP's university is well known and reputable, then the OP's gpa would be taken into account more seriously. a 19AA/18TS/17PAT is not very competitive, but clearly their gpa is very competitive.
Should you apply? Yes.
Should you Retake? Probably, depending on what state you are from, whether you are a URM or not.

My concern was the same as yours. Although 18 is average, his GPA suggests that he should do above average. Begs one to POTENTIALLY question the difficulty of his undergraduate institution. (Not trying to be rude in any way.)