Punt me

Hiya!
2+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2017
Status
Dental Student
Hi all,

I can't seem to find a thread similar to my case. I am quite worried how my applications will turn out and whether I should apply as many as possible for more chances.

In short, my story is that I had gone to my first college for 2.5 years and I did extremely poorly there due to an undiagnosed medical condition that barred me from studying properly. My GPA there is 2.2. I had many W's, 1 F, and many repeated courses and even then, their grades were poor.

I left the school, medical condition diagnosed and treated, and went to another school and graduated there. My GPA here is 3.76. No W, and the lowest grade was a B+. I combined the GPAs of both schools and my sci. avg. is 3.22 and overall avg. is 3.08. I did take more science courses in the new school.

I just took my DAT and received the following:

PAT: 25
QR: 28
RC: 18
Biology: 26
G.Chem: 23
O.Chem: 24
TS: 24
AA: 24

I worked as a TA at a college teaching biology for about 3 years after graduating college.

I do have all of the required courses, rec letters, shadowing, etc done already.

I am worried that the schools deny my application by just looking at my overall GPA average without looking at the PS or anything to look deeper into my application. Also, that RC is very bothering. I've heard of cases where students were told to take the DAT again to make up a sub-20 RC grades. That would take too much time for me. I haven't even submitted my application yet - I am working on it and all should be completed probably next week or first week of Sept.

I would appreciate anyone's opinion on this matter.

Kou_KeiKi

2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2017
Status
Dental Student
The main thing you have to worry about is the late submission date... since DAT needs processing and your app needs to be verified. Your GPAs are above most schools' cut-offs so you will not get automatically screened out. You also don't have to worry about RC, 18 is not too low. Apply very broadly and if you don't get in, apply on June 1 next year and you'll get in for sure.

ProspectivePostPreDent

2+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Your ridiculous dat score and upward trend make up for the gpa. You'd get multiple interviews without question as a normal applicant.. Main problem is how late you're gonna be verified (mid September) and then reviewed by schools (maybe mid October) which leaves little time for pre December interviews.

As long as you're cognizant of the added challenge of going for post Dec interviews, then i guess you could always apply now. Otherwise, with a year of updates, you'd be a perfectly decent candidate next cycle.

About the Ads

Life of Pablo

Hola
2+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Excellent scores and you have a very unique story. Even with your lower GPA, I think you have a very good shot at receiving many interviews. Do yourself a favor and do not stress about your scores because they're in like the 99% tile. Work on submitting your application as soon as possible to give yourself the best chance! Good luck! :)

May 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I second @Kou_KeiKi - I don't think your GPA will be an issue because of the solid upward trend and great DAT scores. The biggest thing holding you back right now is going to be the late submission date. If you complete your application by first week of September (I assume that means the date you'd submit), your transcript will then have to go through verification which takes even longer. Sending out in September is pretty late into the cycle - doesn't mean you won't get interviews, but I'd expect them to be post-December and that can make chances of admission more difficult.

I don't think retaking because of the RC score is needed at all.

OP
Punt me

Punt me

Hiya!
2+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2017
Status
Dental Student
Thanks, all.

That thing of the past still haunts me. I honestly hope that the admissions can see through and past it.

I honestly don't want to go to school too far away. I'm trying to stay in Eastern. I guess that limits... quite a bit.

I'm trying to submit before the end of next week. I hope the dental advisor finishes the job asap...

About the Ads