Worried I won't be a competitive applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amarin0729

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm currently a junior getting my BS in biology and minoring in classical studies at a 4 year university. I'm from Tennessee and am hoping to apply to UTCVM as my first choice (hopefully with an in state qualification, but I'm a little confused on the requirements for in state classification so that is not for sure), along with a few others (Illinois, LMU, Tufts, +/-Cornell, Michigan, Missouri, Colorado, +/- Washington, +/- UGA). I am mostly trying to apply anywhere I meet the prerequisites and does not require the GRE. This will be my first time applying. For career interests, I am really interested in lab animal med, zoo med and small animal/GP. I know, not very specific, but I've enjoyed all of them!

Cumulative GPA: 3.83
science GPA: 3.72 - 3.75 (this is how my school has it broken up, with my concentration GPA first and my major GPA second)
last 45: 3.83 (since my second semester of junior year is in progress, this is all of sophomore year and the first semester of junior year, not sure if this is helpful?)

Any degrees achieved: high school diploma, BS in progress

GRE results: Q/V/W - N/A

Veterinary Experience:
- Small animal shadowing: vet assistant at a GP clinic, hands on patient care! ~1300 hours
- Equine shadowing: shadowed ambulatory equine, got to help with rads and foal care! ~100 hours
- Lab animal experience: shadowed a lab animal medicine veterinarian and toured the animal research facility at my university. ~2 hours

Animal Experience:
- Rescue Group Adoption Coordinating: virtual adoption coordinating (responding to inquiries, coordinating adoptions and transport) ~ 330 hours
- Zoo volunteering: volunteered at local zoo as a student and was head of zoo student community service through high school. ~ 750 hours
- University polo club: member of university polo club. ~78 hours
- Rover petsitter ~ 81 hours
- horse trials volunteer - volunteered at local horse trials during the summer in high school ~30 hours
- Horse eventing experience ~500 hours
- plus personal horse and dog/cat/chinchilla ownership hours, if they count for anything :)

Research Experience:
- Genetics lab at university ~95 hours
- Field research intern working with endangered turtle spp. ~72 hours

Awards/scholarships:
- University scholarship
- freshman achievement award - chemistry (college)
- scholarship awarded through my mom's job
- chemistry award won junior year in high school

Extracurriculars:
- pre health association
- first generation college student org
-residence hall association
- Classics and archaeology club
- animal advocates
- university polo club
- Rescue adoption coordinator

Employment:
- library assistant freshman year of undergrad ~220 hours
- worked at zoo gift shop (same zoo as above) during high school and undergrad school breaks ~700+ hours
- Rover ~81 hours
- Veterinary assistant ~1300 hours

Summarize any concerns you have
Mostly concerned about not having a varied enough application. I've only really shadowed in small animal and equine, I count my lab animal shadowing but it isn't substantial. I'm also worried my lower science/last 45 GPA will exclude me from my top choice (UTCVM). Also worried I don't really stand out as an application as I don't have any leadership positions currently and again don't have a lot of variability in my shadowing. I hope that my zoo hours and classics minor help me stand out, but I'm not sure. I don't know anyone else that has applied to vet school (besides the vets at my job), and I don't know if I'm a competitive applicant for my schools or not based on these stats. Would appreciate any and all advice. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi - you’re fine lol. GPA is very competitive, good variety of experience (maybe get some large animal experience but idk not necessary), lots of diverse non-animal experiences to show you’re well rounded and not a weirdo. Overall, your application is very competitive and I wish you luck this upcoming cycle!

What are your concerns for establishing instate residency for UTCVM? I’m assuming you’re approx 20-22 years old, so your residency is likely going to depend on what state your parents live in/where you graduated from high school

Your gpa’s are very good. Experiences also look good. If you could shadow a large animal vet that would be great, but you’ve got small animal, equine and research. Focus on maintaining your grades, writing stellar essays and getting strong letters of recommendation and you should be a competitive applicant. I’d focus your applications on schools that you meet the requirements for AND that are the least expensive for you. Debt is real

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your concerns for establishing instate residency for UTCVM? I’m assuming you’re approx 20-22 years old, so your residency is likely going to depend on what state your parents live in/where you graduated from high school

Your gpa’s are very good. Experiences also look good. If you could shadow a large animal vet that would be great, but you’ve got small animal, equine and research. Focus on maintaining your grades, writing stellar essays and getting strong letters of recommendation and you should be a competitive applicant. I’d focus your applications on schools that you meet the requirements for AND that are the least expensive for you. Debt is real
I graduated from high school in a different state, then my mom bought her first house (a retirement farm) in Tennessee in summer 2019. She was living there until the pandemic hit, she's been staying in my original state to help out family friends there. I'm in college so have only been there in the summers. With this situation I'm not sure we'll be considered in state even though that's our only house lol (I'm saying this based on the UT website's residency requirements, which just say that being a legal resident of the state is not enough to gain in-state classification)

I graduated from high school in a different state, then my mom bought her first house (a retirement farm) in Tennessee in summer 2019. She was living there until the pandemic hit, she's been staying in my original state to help out family friends there. I'm in college so have only been there in the summers. With this situation I'm not sure we'll be considered in state even though that's our only house lol (I'm saying this based on the UT website's residency requirements, which just say that being a legal resident of the state is not enough to gain in-state classification)
Yeah that does sound tricky. For what it’s worth, I’ve known people whose parents have moved once they were in college and they were able to maintain residency in the original state for both undergrad and vet school. Do you have a vet school in your current state?

I concur, I think you have a good application and a good chance at getting interviews places!

Yeah that does sound tricky. For what it’s worth, I’ve known people whose parents have moved once they were in college and they were able to maintain residency in the original state for both undergrad and vet school. Do you have a vet school in your current state?
So yes, I'm currently living in VA during the semester, but I don't have anything holding me in VA besides my lease which ends when the semester is up, and my job at a vet clinic which I started my sophomore year. My university is technically in DC, so when we're in person I'm also over there. The Covid season has made my living arrangements weird because the university cancelled in person classes very late (like 2 weeks before they were supposed to start) so I had to stick with the lease I had lined up and couldn't just go home to TN. I suppose I could have tried to get residency in VA but I'm really not a resident since I'll be leaving soon. Very tricky situation! I reached out to the UTCVM contact for residency outlining the situation and have't heard back. Hopefully I will soon!

Reactions: 1 user