Worried that a "C' in gross anatomy and lower anatomy will affect future income in podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fresh10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

If I were to have a "C" in gross anatomy and lower anatomy, but an "A or B" in everything else after first year (and maybe only A and B in second year as well), then how will that really influence my residency and employment.

Was extremely close to a "B" in both anatomy classes, by roughly 1% (unfortunate). Residencies won't know how close I was. :(

The reason that I ask, is because with podiatrists earning and "average" of 150k or so, with below average grades with "C" in anatomy", would grades in anatomy like this play a detrimental role in me "not" earning a possibility of 200k a year?

Considering these are somewhat below average grades in anatomy, are my chances of earning 200k a year "substantially lower" than if I had earned "B's" or so in these courses?

I know that residency care about grades but do the employment places themselves after esidency care about podiatric medical school grades?

I am fully aware that the application is seen from a somewhat holistic perspective, but was wondering if my chances of earning 200k or so a year are kind in trouble because of my anatomy courses.

I'm not saying I "need" 200k a year of income, but curious on if (and how much) my anatomy grades will "influence" the possibility of 200k a year that detrimentally?

In some ways, I feel like getting good grades for year 2 almost don't even matter because of my "C" anatomy grades.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
????????

I think you have bigger things to worry about than your future salary. Employers do not give a s*** what your grades were. They just care if you graduate school and residency.

Focus on things a day at a time. I know looking ahead to the future is fun but you need to focus on the now. Worry about working as hard as possible and getting the best grades possible for residency

Reactions: 2 users
????????

I think you have bigger things to worry about than your future salary. Employers do not give a s*** what your grades were. They just care if you graduate school and residency.

Focus on things a day at a time. I know looking ahead to the future is fun but you need to focus on the now. Worry about working as hard as possible and getting the best grades possible for residency

I agree with your train of thought on optimism and working hard.

Isn't it kind of a snowball effect, as in the residency you get with "C" level anatomy grades are most likely not amazing, and therefore lead to average or under average residencies, therefore restricting more of the enticing salaries such as those near 200k?

I just don't see how I can adequately compete for top tier residencies offering easier abilities to obtain a salary near 200k when my anatomy grades are "below average".

But I really don't know because I haven't spent much time in the actually field, so I'm on here to kind of gauge the overall importance of the situations and the questions I was curious aboutl.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's only a snowball effect if you let it happen. You can shake it off and do really well the rest of your schooling. Pass boards first try too

Also top residencies do not equal top paying jobs. I know pods who went to terrible residencies who are killing it right now in practice. It all comes down to you and your work ethic

Your anatomy grades will not influence your future salary at all. You can also still get solid externships and a solid residency, as long as your GPA and class rank are fine and you prove yourself on those externships. Just move on and concentrate on what’s ahead.

Reactions: 1 user
There's only a snowball effect if you let it happen. You can shake it off and do really well the rest of your schooling. Pass boards first try too

Also top residencies do not equal top paying jobs. I know pods who went to terrible residencies who are killing it right now in practice. It all comes down to you and your work ethic
Your anatomy grades will not influence your future salary at all. You can also still get solid externships and a solid residency, as long as your GPA and class rank are fine and you prove yourself on those externships. Just move on and concentrate on what’s ahead.

Ok thanks. I was just assuming that anatomy grades made a gigantic impact of residencies, but if they aren't that important, then I can see an overall decent record in GPA and class rank being a way to combat it.

Ok thanks. I was just assuming that anatomy grades made a gigantic impact of residencies, but if they aren't that important, then I can see an overall decent record in GPA and class rank being a way to combat it.

No one cares what grade you got in anatomy, we care that you actually know your anatomy. Think of it this way, if you aced your anatomy test and we go over an MRI together and you can't tell me where the PT tendon is, then you've got a problem. Learning your anatomy doesn't stop in the classroom, there's so much more to learn that they don't teach you in school yet you're expected to know.

Reactions: 1 users
No one cares what grade you got in anatomy, we care that you actually know your anatomy. Think of it this way, if you aced your anatomy test and we go over an MRI together and you can't tell me where the PT tendon is, then you've got a problem. Learning your anatomy doesn't stop in the classroom, there's so much more to learn that they don't teach you in school yet you're expected to know.

Makes sense.

So my anatomy grades won't hold me back from top tier residencies assuming I have mostly A's and B's in all other courses, and do fine in all other aspects?

Last edited:
Makes sense.

So my anatomy grades won't hold me back from top tier residencies assuming I have mostly A's and B's in all other courses, and do fine in all other aspects?

Just make sure your grades exceed their minimum requirements, more importantly is your ability to apply what you learn, to be able to continually learn throughout your career, and to have a good attitude. Here's a tip for the future, even if you don't get the residency you wanted, it's not the end of your career, think of the NBA or NFL, high draft picks don't always end up with a stellar career. Low draft picks or undrafted players can still kill it. Guess I'm always the optimist

Just make sure your grades exceed their minimum requirements, more importantly is your ability to apply what you learn, to be able to continually learn throughout your career, and to have a good attitude. Here's a tip for the future, even if you don't get the residency you wanted, it's not the end of your career, think of the NBA or NFL, high draft picks don't always end up with a stellar career. Low draft picks or undrafted players can still kill it. Guess I'm always the optimist

I agree with your overall message.

I'm not looking to specifically go for only top tier residencies, but it would be nice to know that I could still enter those residencies with "C"'s in anatomy. I'm just hoping there isn't any limitations attached to the anatomy classes. I won't be too disappointed in the prestige of the residency as long as I can do learn a reasonable amount of skills without any major limitations.

Its basically, "I'm fine with decent residencies", but if I "wanted to top tier residencies in the future", I want that to be an option. So I'm just hoping that in my situation of having "C"'s in anatomy, that its not a restriction of top tier residencies.

I agree with your overall message.

I'm not looking to specifically go for only top tier residencies, but it would be nice to know that I could still enter those residencies with "C"'s in anatomy. I'm just hoping there isn't any limitations attached to the anatomy classes. I won't be too disappointed in the prestige of the residency as long as I can do learn a reasonable amount of skills without any major limitations.

Its basically, "I'm fine with decent residencies", but if I "wanted to top tier residencies in the future", I want that to be an option. So I'm just hoping that in my situation of having "C"'s in anatomy, that its not a restriction of top tier residencies.

All i hear is a bunch of whining.

I say this with probably a lower GPA than you.

Stop whining about things you can't control. It has already happened. Stop looking for affirmation. Stop thinking of the 200k as an end goal. It is not.

You will struggle if that is the only thing motivating you right now.

All i hear is a bunch of whining.

I say this with probably a lower GPA than you.

Stop whining about things you can't control. It has already happened. Stop looking for affirmation. Stop thinking of the 200k as an end goal. It is not.

You will struggle if that is the only thing motivating you right now.

I agree that salary shouldn't be the "end goal".

It's not so much "whine" as curiosity where I stand (although I don't mind venting). I'm not looking for affirmation in "feelings", I'm looking for affirmation in the "investment" at where I'm at in this point in time. The end goal for me is to comfortably pay off debt. Salary isn't too important to me otherwise. I just wanted to gauge my opportunities in a realistic manner with my current situation.

Which schools utilize pass fail?

No idea why they don’t just standardize grading for each school, we only have 9 total.

Props to the few of our schools who don’t use the outdated lettering system.

If you got an 89 and a 91 it should say you got an 89 and a 91 not a B and a A.

That said, you’ll be fine.