Worried whether I have what it takes to pursue dentistry??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheUnknown123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a freshman and I am worried whether I have what it takes to make it through pre-dental coursework and make it into dental school. I've spent my first year so far as an undecided major and took gen-eds and got a 3.84 my first semester. In high school I got a 3.91 with a 1160 on the SAT (I know I did bad and I did not retake). I am also worried that I am behind given the fact that I took gen-eds my first year and no science or math courses except for statistics. What do you guys think??

Members don't see this ad.

Compared to other predental, behind, but not late. You just gotta stack up some science classes all the way till senior year unless you do 4 science classes per semester which is ridiculous in my opinion. Or take summer classes on your campus. I personally loved those. Thick and fast and you retain better for finals. Tbh not many ppl find out what they are born to do. Just what they don’t like and what they’re good at. You’ll know if you can withstand 10 more years of finals along the way :)

Reactions: 1 user
Talk to your academic counselor (or, if you're not a declared science major, a science academic advisor). You may have more trouble at smaller schools that only offer certain classes at certain times but will most likely be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say it’s natural to be worried about doing well enough to get into dental school. In fact, I would say most people feel this way especially as freshmen/sophomores. Use this feeling as a way to push yourself to study and work hard - that’s what I did. The fact that you got a 3.84 GPA your first semester (regardless of the fact that they were gen eds) is a really good start. If you work hard enough, you will make it to dental school.

Try out gen chem and bio 1! If you do well in these classes, there's no reason you can't make it.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think anyone has anything special that makes them fit to pursue dentistry, they just make the decision to pursue it wholeheartedly! Like any other career or field in life--what you get out of it is in proportion to what you put in

Reactions: 1 users
I am a freshman and I am worried whether I have what it takes to make it through pre-dental coursework and make it into dental school. I've spent my first year so far as an undecided major and took gen-eds and got a 3.84 my first semester. In high school I got a 3.91 with a 1160 on the SAT (I know I did bad and I did not retake). I am also worried that I am behind given the fact that I took gen-eds my first year and no science or math courses except for statistics. What do you guys think??
Almost no one is precluded from medicine or dentistry by Iq. There are an unbelievable amount of people with medicore SATs , dats, mcats, etc who end up in health professional schools with some even being in top percentiles. It's mostly memorization, believe me. The only thing that would stop you is a lack of hard work or resourcefulness.

Reactions: 2 users
i had a 2.71 after 3 semesters and still made it. maintain, staying involved around campus (ECs), and you will be fine