1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

worried

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by izzy34, Sep 3, 2001.

1. izzy34

izzy34 Junior Member

hi there,

i'm a little nervous posting this question with all the competitiveness going on, but i'm sure there will be someone out there who can help.

i just found out i'm 2 units short in ochem for many of the med school requirements. (ucla is quarter system, i have 10 quarter units, most schools want a full year, which would be 12 quarter units)

i'm upset because i filled the requirement for my college/major and none of my advisors warned me about the full year needed.

what do i do? is this a common problem? do i add a note on the secondaries that i can/will take another ochem class before i start med school? will they throw away my application because of this? i'm really upset about it!

thank you

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. i heard for pple with quarter system, that you can substitute biochem for it :D

dont worry I think everyone is like that :)

4. spacecadet

spacecadet Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, even if you don't meet the requirement, you can always take a course in the year between applying and matriculation. I'd talk to the schools directly and ask what you need. They won't reject your application because you didn't fulfill the requirements, they just want you to take them before you start medical school.

5. pcl

pcl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

some schools will grant you a waiver also. With so many different systems, you just need to talk to the admissions offices and see who will and won't accept what you have. The biochem suggestion is a good idea though.

6. ssd

ssd Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i wouldn't worry about it izzy. i graduated from ucla in 1998. i applied for the first time last year (didn't get in and am reapplying). not a single school asked me about ochem. whenever they required that i fill in the classes which meet the specific requirements, i put biochem in the ochem section. that was acceptable for every school.

7. I don't think there is any need to worry, the requirements must be met before matriculation, not necessarily before you apply. If you did good on the bio part of the MCAT, they probably wouldn't even question it. Also, if you put biochemistry or an organic chemistry class on your AMCAS under one of your future/current classes, that's another option to let them know that you are going to take it.