Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Worried

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by west, May 22, 2002.

1. west

west Junior Member

I visited my first DO school a couple of weeks ago. I am in love. Not just with that school--with the whole idea of becoming a D.O. I have been interested in medicine for as long as I can remember. I just could never get it together to apply to M.D. programs once I graduated with my B.S. in Biology. So, I went for an MPH--I did awesome in the program (4.0)--(much better than the 2.8 UG). It is there that I learned about different forms of health care--D.O. included. Over the past few years, I have learned more about the D.O. philosophy and my interest has grown--I know now that a D.O. is exactly what I need to become. I think the reason the M.D. thing did not work out is because--it was not for me. Isn't it funny how things work out?

However, I am still scared to death--I have lots of experience in the hospital setting and in public health(community)....BUT it is the dreaded MCAT that I fear will keep me from my dreams(AND my UG grades--what about that?). I took the MCAT in April. Any body else having the same problem?

I am applying for Fall 2003.

Scared to Death!!!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pcs

pcs Junior Member

dear west,

i know it probably sounds easy for me to say this... and perhaps a bit more difficult for you to do right away, but... don't be scared. relax! it sounds like you feel passionately about medicine and one thing i've found with osteopathic medicine is that... if you have that genuine will to do this, you can. a lot of the DO schools really look at your grades and beyond... i mean, you want to have the academic background to handle the volume and complexity of the material, but in addition to that, i think many of the admissions committees really do their best to find out what drives you as a whole human being... at least in my experience. sounds like you've worked hard in your MPH program and obviously did well. rather than worry on your... problem areas... shine with your strengths is what i'd say... everyone has problem areas!

also... i've found through this process that... a lot of your success will come with some confidence... you've gotta believe in yourself, because if YOU don't trust in you... it's gonna be difficult to get others to...

the story of my life has been... if at first you don't succeed... try, try, try, try, try again! *laughing* so... persistence and hard-work... with a lot of patience... pays off!

good luck with the application process!

4. west

west Junior Member

Thanks for the kind words pcs!! I appreciate it. Just what the Dr. ordered!

5. DOtobe

Attending Physician
    west,
    I have the same sentiments as pcs. You have a ton of experience in the medical field, so your desire to be a physician will definitely come through in your interview. And you did awesome in your MPH program, so I'm sure that the admissions committees will see that you can handle a large amount of classwork like you will see in medical school. And as was also pointed out, DO schools look at more than just your scores and your grades...so even if your undergrad grades are a little low they probably won't end up hurting you too much. And as for the MCAT, even if you do bad you can take it again. I retook the MCAT in August, and was accepted at my school (LECOM) by October. Everyone thinks they do horrible, so I'm sure you did better than you thought you did.
    Good luck! :D

6. west

west Junior Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply DOtobe! My plan is to go ahead with my application and if I do poorly on the MCAT I will take it again in August and send those scores. Sounds like you may have done something similar?