Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Worried....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by snowballz, Sep 22, 2001.

1. snowballz

snowballz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi everyone.

I know this isn't the time to be worried about my own problems, but here goes. I attend a moderate sized public liberal arts college in Indiana that no one has ever heard off, Indiana State U. to be exact. Statistics show that only 12% of the graduates go on to graduate school here. I am a freshman in my second semester with a 3.8 GPA for my first semester and expecting better grades this semester. I feel that I am selling my self short by not attending a more academically challenging college. I also feel that I will not be able to get in ANY medical school (with exception of IUSM) by attending a school that has no reputation for academics. Also, I ended up at such a poor college because of my less than stellar high school career. My questions, should I establish a solid college transcript, than try to transfer to a better school? (I never took the SAT or ACT either.;( )If it makes any difference, there was a space between high school and college. I did have significant medical experience during that time. I am 21 now.

Thanks to anyone for the help. I ask because my premedical advisor is actually the pre-everything advisor and doesn't have time for such questions. :(

God Bless,
    Alicia

2. C U in MD school

C U in MD school Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

dont worry, everything will be fine. it's about about which school that you go to or ur major... what counts is your GPA and MCAT. A great friend of mine went to Bates college wich is also an art school but guess what she kicked ass in all her classes (only one B!) and this fall she started at SF medical school, SF! so, dont worry, your to early in the game. just do well! if you have any more questions, email me.

3. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Dont worry about it.

I go to Baylor University, which even fewer people have heard of. Of course everybody's heard of the Baylor College of Medicine, but I go to Baylor undergrad, which is virtually unknown outside of Texas.

The academics are OK, but nothing to really get excited about.

The med schools that I'm applying to must not be holding my undergraduate institution against me, because I have been fortunate enough to get several interviews, even for the highly competitive MD/PhD programs. I say that because if they were holding it against me, I'm assuming that it would be very hard for me to get interviews. Of course its possible I might not get accepted to a single school, but if that happens I bet it has nothing to do with my undergrad school.

So clearly its up to you to make the most of your education. The school you go to by itself wont significantly hurt your chances, I'm living proof of that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. snowballz

snowballz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks alot for the responses...I appreciate them.

I'd like to hear from anyone who went to a small, public state school who DID get into medical school..and where they got accepted. Or at least where they're being interviewed. Thanks alot..

I'm not up on the acronyms..SF? :confused:

God bless,
    Alicia

5. VC15

VC15 MS4
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think CU in MD School was referring to University Of California at San Franciso, i.e. UCSF.

6. snowballz

snowballz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That is what I thought he meant, but wasn't sure. Thank you.

Alicia

7. rohitbest

rohitbest Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i also go to a very small school, Troy State University in Alabama, student pop of 5000 and have gotten one interview so far out of the 10 schools I applied to. And from what I know, I expect to get at least 2 more from my instate schools. So, I really don't think it matters what the reputation of the school is to eventually get into medical school, if you show out on GPA and MCAT. It does make it easier if you go to a better reputable school, but there are always benefits of going either way, small school, or big school. If you really feel like the school is holding you back though, go ahead and transfer. hope that helps.

8. BeckyG

BeckyG Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,

I'm CU's friend at UCSF SoM. I went to Bates College in Maine -- which no one in CA has heard of. It's a small school (total pop. of 1600), but is private. As CU said, your school has less bearing on your ability to get in; what really matters are your GPA, MCATs (to get an interview) and then all the qualities that make you a unique individual (research, health care work, volunteer work are the standards and then all the personal attributes that make you unique/interesting, etc.). Granted, if you want to go to Harvard, you probably won't get an interview - my premed advisor was told to not bother having her premeds from Bates apply to Harvard because we "were not a feeder school" for them. But other than the snobs at some of the Ivys, it should not matter as much. I can give you stats if you want them re: my application, but I don't think you really need them at this point. All you need to know is that I applied to 18, interviewed at 9. Anyway, good luck. I hope this is helpful,

Becky

9. spacecadet

spacecadet Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Ok, I'm going to take the other route here. Why not transfer to Purdue or IU? It shouldn't be too hard if your grades are good, and since you've only taken a few classes, they should transfer, right?

You'd probably have to take the SAT, but you don't need a great score to get into your own state school.

I'd look into it. I think you might be better prepared at a bigger school that has lots of different classes. Freshman year at a big school stinks (huge classes, weedout classes) so you're past that and the rest would be good.

Anyway, I'd look into it. I went to Purdue and I really liked it - after freshman year anyway. Of course, IU is better if you like to actually do things outside of class besides look at corn. I can't believe I used the words "IU is better". Somebody slap me.

10. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

'C U in MD school'---
    You really should get your facts straight before you talk about others' schools. I went to Bates College, and it is most certainly NOT an art school. It IS, however, a liberal arts school. I find making such comments while being completely uninformed is really not cool and shows superbly poor discretion.

Bates College is an excellent liberal arts college in Maine, and although I hate advocating US News, it is ranked a top 20 college and possesses the eighth lowest acceptance rate among the top 50 schools in the nation. Perhaps that is why the person you speak of was able to gain acceptance to UCSF.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. snowballz

snowballz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

So, IOW, I need to transfer.

God Bless,

Alicia

12. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I know someone on SDN who got into Washington Univ from CSU Los Angeles. In my opinion, all CSUs (california state univ) are no-name schools.

I went to a junior college, so i had to transfer to a college.

Whether you should transfer... It's certainly not neccesary. If there's cost differences, that you'll have to consider on your own. Bigger better schools will probably have advantages besides name.. better advising, more opportunities, more student life, just to name a few.

But a 3.8 is SUPERB! I'm tempted to say higher GPA at a not that great school is better than not so great GPA at a fantastic school. Let's face it, despite what all admiss comms say, GPA is the often the number one criteria.

If you have any specific questions for me, it's probably better you e-mail [email protected]

Good luck
    Sonya

13. BeckyG

BeckyG Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey GG16,

Please, cut CU a little slack -- I know he meant liberal arts school (I think he was just typing fast b/c he noted that Bates was ALSO an "arts" school - like snowballz) - Plus, he knows I was a biochem major at Bates. ;)

Anyway, I'm going to send you an email just to say hello. Take care,

Becky

14. C U in MD school

C U in MD school Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey GG16, I think you need to clam down. True that liberal art school is not the same as an art school and for that I apologies, but in no way was I cutting your school down. I don't know how you got all that out of my post. Whatever... if you feel the need to talk about it some more, please by all mean email me.

BeckyG how is UCSF? Stop fooling around on the Internet and study. Don't you know I'll need a good doc someday?

15. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

CSUs are at least in the upper rung of "no-name" schools. :)

16. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc
    10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    several of the csu schools are quite good.I attended u.c. santa cruz(my 1st choice), but if I had not gotten in there, I would have gone to cal poly san luis obispo or humboldt state, both great schools in beautiful areas.