worried.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

separker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I've been looking around the boards for a few months now and finally decided to post. I'll be applying in the 2014 cycle, and I'm concerned I don't have what it takes to get accepted to a MD program.

Major: Biology Minors: Chemistry and Sociology
Current cGPA: 3.48 BCPM GPA: 3.5 (both with an upward trend)
I’m a Division II Varsity Athlete (Swimmer), and a NCAA National Qualifier
I currently have >150 hours of clinical experience and >200 hours volunteer work
I received an internship for this coming summer at a cancer research facility (10 weeks about 40 hours a week) and I will be continuing my research experience this coming fall semester with my university
Leadership positions: Team Captain, Tutor/Mentor, SAAC Vice President
Clubs/Organizations: Beta Beta Beta, Student Athletic Advisory Committee, Graduate Education in Medical Sciences club, Biology Club, Chemistry Club, and Fellowship of Christian Athletes. (also hoping to add Sigma Xi onto this list next semester)

I’ll be taking my MCAT in the spring of 2014 – so I know this is all just a guess since a lot depends on my score there, but I guess my question is am I missing anything? Is there anywhere I need to beef up before I apply?
Thank you so much for your help - sorry it's a long post

Members don't see this ad.

Shadowing experience?
Other than that, nice activities. Good luck on the MCAT!

Thank You!
I'm currently talking to a cardio surgeon who I'm hoping to shadow for the remainder of this semester, and then from there I hope to continue shadowing in the upcoming fall semester with a variety of doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shadowing experience?
Other than that, nice activities. Good luck on the MCAT!

Sounds about right. You're pretty much good to go once you fill these gaps.

Also start thinking about potential professors to approach next year for quality letters of rec.

my university doesn't have a pre-med board of advisors or anything like that where I could get a stellar LOR - is this going to hurt me at all?
I only ask bc I know some schools have these types of boards

It shouldn't hurt you. Definitely get a letter from your coach! Start chatting it up with some professors that you like so they get to know you more.

sounds good! another random question - so I have ties to one of the members of the alumni board members at stanford - she and her husband went to med school there...would this be a good LOR for every school, or just stanford? (as if i could get in haha)

It depends how well that person knows you. By all means, use them as an extra recommendation for Stanford, but if they can't write much about you don't bother using them for other medical schools.

Try to get all As to bring that GPA close to a 3.6

So say I get the shadowing experience, good/great LORs and raise my GPA closer to a 3.6 - Would this put me in the middle-tier med school bracket? Would I have any chance at all of applying to lower end, top-tier program?

So say I get the shadowing experience, good/great LORs and raise my GPA closer to a 3.6 - Would this put me in the middle-tier med school bracket? Would I have any chance at all of applying to lower end, top-tier program?

I don't know what you would consider lower-end top-tier, but I doubt it unless you cure cancer at that internship and also get a 36+ MCAT. Top-tier usually involves extensive research experience, and you're not really showing any of that in your current resume. Aim for a 32+ on the MCAT, and you'll have a fighting chance at most mid-tiers, considering you apply broadly.

Suggest aceing some more coursework to get that cGPA >3.5 And, naturally, do well on MCAT. But so far, so good.

Hello everyone!
I've been looking around the boards for a few months now and finally decided to post. I'll be applying in the 2014 cycle, and I'm concerned I don't have what it takes to get accepted to a MD program.

Major: Biology Minors: Chemistry and Sociology
Current cGPA: 3.48 BCPM GPA: 3.5 (both with an upward trend)
I’m a Division II Varsity Athlete (Swimmer), and a NCAA National Qualifier
I currently have >150 hours of clinical experience and >200 hours volunteer work
I received an internship for this coming summer at a cancer research facility (10 weeks about 40 hours a week) and I will be continuing my research experience this coming fall semester with my university
Leadership positions: Team Captain, Tutor/Mentor, SAAC Vice President
Clubs/Organizations: Beta Beta Beta, Student Athletic Advisory Committee, Graduate Education in Medical Sciences club, Biology Club, Chemistry Club, and Fellowship of Christian Athletes. (also hoping to add Sigma Xi onto this list next semester)

I’ll be taking my MCAT in the spring of 2014 – so I know this is all just a guess since a lot depends on my score there, but I guess my question is am I missing anything? Is there anywhere I need to beef up before I apply?
Thank you so much for your help - sorry it's a long post

I don't know what you would consider lower-end top-tier, but I doubt it unless you cure cancer at that internship and also get a 36+ MCAT. Top-tier usually involves extensive research experience, and you're not really showing any of that in your current resume. Aim for a 32+ on the MCAT, and you'll have a fighting chance at most mid-tiers, considering you apply broadly.

What is considered as extensive research >300hrs? More than two years?
I figured as with the top-tier schools - but a girl can dream right?

Would 15-20 schools be a broad enough approach?

Suggest aceing some more coursework to get that cGPA >3.5 And, naturally, do well on MCAT. But so far, so good.

If I do as well as I think I can I should end up with a cGPA: 3.60 sGPA:3.64 - would this be a much better GPA range for mid-tier schools?

I would consider extensive research to be at least 2 years, preferably with a pub and some presentations.

I would consider extensive research to be at least 2 years, preferably with a pub and some presentations.

okay that's good to know - man I wish I knew these things before I hit this level of my college career...
sorry for more questions but are small volunteer activities like 10 hrs here for march of dimes, 7 hours there for St. Baldricks Hospital worth mentioning when I apply?

also, is a poster that's made by me and presented at the end of a SURP or similar program something of importance?

Last edited:
okay that's good to know - man I wish I knew these things before I hit this level of my college career...
sorry for more questions but are small volunteer activities like 10 hrs here for march of dimes, 7 hours there for St. Baldricks Hospital worth mentioning when I apply?

also, is a poster that's made by me and presented at the end of a SURP or similar program something of importance?

First off, 2 years if just my opinion. "Extensive research" is a fairly subjective term. One school might think 1 year is extensive while others might look for more in the 2 year range...

Are the small commitments a part of a bigger organization? Or are they all separate. If they are a part of a bigger club or something, then maybe mention them in the description of the club/organization. That is the extent of my knowledge in the that area... I would ask people who have applied before or ADCOMS/advisers and take their advice before mine. I don't apply until next year...

Yes. When i said presentations, that included poster presentations and presentations at a talk or conference or something. However, i think the talks/conference presentations are valued higher than poster presentations.

Again, all this info is based on what i have read on SDN and with talking to people to have applied/are med students. I have not yet applied.

First off, 2 years if just my opinion. "Extensive research" is a fairly subjective term. One school might think 1 year is extensive while others might look for more in the 2 year range...

Are the small commitments a part of a bigger organization? Or are they all separate. If they are a part of a bigger club or something, then maybe mention them in the description of the club/organization. That is the extent of my knowledge in the that area... I would ask people who have applied before or ADCOMS/advisers and take their advice before mine. I don't apply until next year...

Yes. When i said presentations, that included poster presentations and presentations at a talk or conference or something. However, i think the talks/conference presentations are valued higher than poster presentations.

Again, all this info is based on what i have read on SDN and with talking to people to have applied/are med students. I have not yet applied.

Thank you for the awesome advice!