Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Worrying Thoughts About the MCAT

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by praying4MD, May 24, 2001.

1. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have been thinking about my MCAT and am getting more and more worried. I had 10 extra minutes on Verbal and 4 extra minutes on PS; usually I just barely finish in time. Is this a bad sign? Anyone with similar experiences? How did the actual scores compare with how you thought you did? This has probably been exhausted on another thread, if so, please direct me to it. Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sammmeyeam

Sammmeyeam Senior Member

Hi...

I've heard that people that think they screwed up (e.g. worrying like you are) actually do very well :)

I'm not just saying that to make ya feel better... I was scared about my scores, but I did well.

So, don't worry about it man, you're just creating stress for yourself. What use is it anyways? You can't cancel your score now... Use the stress in a positive manner - i.e. learn about AMCAS / Med schools, etc.

Good luck

4. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks. I appreciate your advice. I really needed to hear that. I guess I just needed an "ego boost"... Sad but true.

5. Street Philosopher

I would give up all my ego booster rights for a good score. PLEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!!

6. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

I, too, took much longer on the real MCAT than on any of my practice tests. I had been having like 20-25 minutes extra on each section, but once I got in there for the real one, I only had a couple minutes to spare for each. I think maybe it was nerves, but the "this is my future" thoughts didn't kick in too bad until I was almost done with the second to last section.

If worrying about how you did is truly an indication, I will get at least >40 :)

7. Jalopycat

You guys sound like you're in good shape. Me? Well, I had a whole verbal section left that I just marked answers for, thanks to my error in counting passages. Plus, it took me about 20 minutes to calm down, so I'm not sure if any of my answers were right! I got finished with PS for the first time ever and I had to really hussle to get finished with the BS. I had no trouble with the writing sample- not that anyone cares about that. Oh well. I'm feeling pretty anxious myself. I'm not sure if I really want to know how I did.
    Oh yeah, did I mention I'm only in 4th grade?I'm a recess moniter and a junior police after school. Will that look good on my app? Do you think I'll get in? (sorry, couldn't resist)

8. Mossjoh

Mossjoh Mayo Clinic-PGY2

Don't worry Jalopy, I had the same panic attack on the verbal. I only left 3 blank, but I'm unsure of many of my answers. I feel I did fine with everything else, I'll just be anxiously waiting by the mailbox in a few weeks. The verbal is worrying me a lot, its the only section that is worrying me, but that sounds pretty common, so maybe I'll be okay after all.

Mossjoh

9. isa

isa Senior Member

Goodness, guys, I guess stress loves company so I'll share my experience too. I did opposite of my practice tests. I had a surprisingly okay time with PS (my worst section), did the same on Verbal, and had a worrying time with BS (my best section in practice). And I keep hearing that Writing doesn't matter, but that's worrying me a lot too. You know how they say reality is opposite of everything you suspect? Well, that's not helping me much because either way, one of the section's gotta give.

10. 12R34Y

Attending Physician
    I'm equally freaked out about this damned test! I finished 5 minutes early on verbal, didn't finish last question (had to guess) on PS and finished Bio with about 5 minutes left, but I did a lot of guessing on the organic crap. I hate waiting!!

later

11. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Words from a seasoned veteran (sort-of ;))...

I took the MCAT in April, 2000. In practice, VR had been my strongest section, and I ALWAYS finsihed with extra time -- 10-15 minutes, at least, to be exact. What happened on test day? Well, there was a minute left, and I still hadn't read the last passage -- ended up guessing on all those last questions. Totally freaked me out. Plus, after the test, looking back on it, I was pretty sure I bombed the writing section. When I got my scores in June, I was pretty pleased -- I did well on everything, and my total score was 2 pts. higher than my best Kaplan test. Freaking out is natural, but don't stress too much yet. Good luck!

12. Col_4:14

Col_4:14 Senior Member

Praying4MD, 10 extra minutes in Verbal!? Wow that's pretty cool. Sounds like your major really helped you. Relax. . . I am sure you did really well.

13. Peregrin

Peregrin Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I took it April 2000. When I would practice, I would barely finish in time. When I took it for real I finished with minutes to spare (several in fact, in each section but writing). My score was only slightly lower than practice (30 vs averaging ~32 in practice). I wouldn't sweat too much, you probably did fine.

14. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks a lot guys. Phew. It's good to know that other people are stressing right now. I guess it's not so bad if you endure pain in groups. Thanks again, esp. Col, despite all our disagreements, he still has the heart to comfort me. :)

15. Col_4:14

Col_4:14 Senior Member

Of course I do!! I know you are an intelligent student.
    The MCAT wait is a monster!! How can they justify 60 days!?!?!
    I didn't finish the verbal. One last question and my hand was going to shade in the circle when the proctor called TIME!!! I know that question was the cusp for a higher score. :D
    In the end, I did much better than I expected, although my verbal was not as high as I would have liked. Nevertheless, it worked.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. jmejia1

jmejia1 Senior Member

It doesn't make much sense to worry when you had minutes to spare. You should worry if you couldn't finish the sections. The reason why people who worry end up with high scores, is because these people are pathologially anal. These are the people that cried when they got thier first grade lower than an 'A'

18. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I know it doesn't make sense, but I always wonder, was there something I missed? How about a whole passage? :eek: I know what you mean. I know people who went to a therapist when they got their first B. :eek:

And thanks again for the encouraging words Col.

19. pre-med undercover

pre-med undercover Junior Member

Hi, everyone. I am also worried about the exam and like most people it is the verbal that is concerning me the most. I normally finish right on time, but the day of the actual test I just couldn't understand this one passage no matter how hard I tried and it messed me up! Right now I am not really waiting for my MCAT score overall, but just my verbal results... especially since everyone I've talked to thought the verbal on my form was simple!

I'm one of those "I just want to go to med school - any med school!" types and I am hoping my score is good enough so I won't have to prepare for the exam again! I am getting so impatient. My friends and family are sick of hearing about the MCAT and my terrible time with the verbal section so I am sort of worrying in secret! Thanks for giving me a chance to vent! I tried another message board and they told me to get a life. I'm glad you guys understand...

20. MDgonnabe

MDgonnabe your royal travesty

Greetings! :)

While reading some of the posts from the MCAT worrying thread I couldn't help but feel compelled to help some of you guys feel more confident in your own performance by telling you of my MCAT tale of woe...

Exactly 12 hours before the start of the exam on April 21st, 2001 my throat become slightly itchy. I'm sure you can use your imagination and take it from there. :( By 7 AM the next day I was full-blown flu-bound. You know those annoying people who keep sniffling throughout the exam? I am ashamed to say that I became one of those jerks. :( On top of that, I had refused to take any medication earlier that morning because I thought it might impair my mental function somehow; thus I broke out into a fever by the middle of the verbal portion (of course by then it was 10 AM because my school has so many people taking the test it took us a good hour and a half to seat everyone :mad: ). To aggravate my fever the exam room itself was dolefully unheated (thanks again Penn State!!!) for the morning session. And for the afternoon session some sort of mass was going on next door so we were serenaded by a choir. Believe it or not, some liked it because they wanted the choir to pray for us. I think I was beyond hope by that point as I was sitting in the absolute closest seat to the service's door. But for once I had to give kudos to the proctors because they kept trying to close the door (earlier that morning they nearly prevented me from taking the test at all because they didn't know you didn't necessarily need a driver's license as a form of id).

In terms of the actual test, some of you complained about having only one minute remaining or not getting to one passage or whatever. HA! I swear I spent more time blowing my nose than answering questions! :( I couldn't get to two of the verbal passages, one of the PS passages, and JUST finished by the skin of my teeth on the BS. I have the feeling a blind monkey with a number two pencil could've out-tested me; but I was so determined to apply to med school this summer that I didn't cancel my score. Hey, what can I say? SOMEONE'S got to be below the 10th percentile. Why not me? :D

So anyway, that was my epic MCAT saga. I honestly hope it makes you feel better about how well you did. I have no doubt that if one were to place bets on performance the odds would favor you. :)

21. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow. What a horrible MCAT experience! But I don't really think it would be comforting unless the story ended with something like: "Although I was worried about it, I got a 42 and am going to attend med school this year!" :) Seriously though, I hope you ended up doing well on it.

22. kris

kris Senior Member

Know what would be fun? If everyone who's been agonizing shares their thoughts once they receive their scores.

Something like this:

1) post quote of horrible, terrible, 10th percentile things to come, i.e., a quote of your current outlook.

2) post how well you actually did--not actual scores, but something along the lines of: I did just fine, or better than I had imagined.

Then we can all laugh about this in the end. :)

23. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member

Attending Physician
    ...or I completely bombed and will be working in the janitorial division at my local med school next year?

While I think that everyone waiting for scores appreciates all of the veteran sentiments, I cannot help but think that there has to be ONE person who thought they did terribly and then ended up scoring terribly. Sorry to be such a downer - the waiting is agonizing...

24. jmejia1

jmejia1 Senior Member

The scary part is that each form of the MCAT needs a score distribution, so there will have to be people that scored a 3 on VR or a 4 on PS. Some of us that are worried will be pleasantly surprised while others will unpleasantly have thier worst thoughts become a reality. Four weeks and counting . . . . the misery of wait continues.

25. Spang

Spang SDN Angel

I'm hoping those people (3 on VR or 4 on PS) aren't smart enough to use a computer or spell 'SDN' and therefore are the "other 50%" not represented here!

Any day now........ :p

26. SimulD

SimulD Senior Member

I would be hard pressed to find one person that came out of the damn test saying (out loud): "Golly, I did really well. Yup, sure did, think I'm headed to med school."

I was so stressed out the two weeks before my test. I was leaving for my junior year abroad the day after the test, so I was just Peter Nervous for those few days. And, I also had to get from Detroit (my home) to Chicago (MCAT/flight to Denmark). So, the morning of the test I realized I had no timepiece what so ever - I went over to Jewel and begged them to open up their jewelry department. They relented and I got a crappy little watch ... but I was late. I got to the test and people were filling in bubbles (name and stuff). I finished the damn test thinking I blew it and I was so frustrated. I was certain I'd have to cancel my second semester abroad so I could re-take it. Well, lo-and-behold, two months after my test and after my trip to Rome, I got back to my host family's house and my parents had sent the score (I refused to let them see the score before I did). The whole family was crowded around me (I had explained to them for the last few months how difficult it was to receive admission), my hands shook as I opened the envelope. I did 5 points better than any Princeton Review test! And I got in to med school!

So, there's your happy MCAT story

Simul

27. FlameBoy

FlameBoy Flameboy

Attending Physician
    Just remember that you get in with a score of 30, the 70th percentile. Out of all the people in that room sweating the test out with you, less than one in three will make it in. :mad: