Worst admissions staff in the country.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jalby

I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little bit pissed right now. I hate Georgetown. I'm nominating them for the worst admissions committee in the nation.

I got the invite for an interview a month ago and it told me I had to schedual by october 1st and interview by the 28th. We'll I teach a class in California every monday, wednesday and friday and there is no way that I could have flown out to washington DC and back in time to interview and make my class. I called them up Sept 25th and told them this, and I would have to interview in december. They told me I had to write a letter to the dean and explain my problem and he might consider letting me have an extension. I think this is bull****, but I'll do it later in the month.
Today I find out that my friday, oct 28th, class is cancelled. I try calling up Georgetown to see if I can get an interview then. The tell me that since I never wrote a letter to the dean, there is no way they will ever let me interview. I'm thinking this is complete BS. By the time I can finish the letter and the dean reviews it and all the other stuff there is no way I will be able to get a flight to Washington DC. But then they tell me that not only can't I interview in October, but because they didn't recieve the letter by Oct 1st, I was automatically rejected. So now I probably never will be able to interview at Georgetown because of their F***d up admission policies. I'm not normally a vengful person, but if I remember this next June or so I'm going to try and encourage people (at least on the west coast) not even to waste the 150$ to apply to GT.

Thanks for reading my post. I feel a little bit better now.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 48 users
Georgetown was the only school I decided NOT to send a secondary back to (never mind a current credit report!)...I just got a stinky vibe from them.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not applying to Hopkins this year, but I did last year. They take #1 in my book. The receptionists were incredibly rude.

I'm still deciding whether or not to send in my Georgetown secondary. I think it's going to be one of the last ones I file. I can submit two for that price.

The best (I'm probably missing some):

UF - Robyn is always very helpful and polite (is my nose brown yet?).

Ohio State - very plesant (they actually initiated a conversation with me).

FSU - very cool receptionists.

Emory - they actually TRY to help those who call.

Yet another reason I'm impressed with UF: After being rejected from the school, the only one to interview me last year, Dr. Hill let me know that my other interviewer (a 4th yr. who was ranked #1 in his class) also had to apply two times. I thought it was cool of him to try to lift my spirits!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i called georgetown to see if they were accepting paper AMCAS applications a few weeks ago. the idiot woman in the admissions office transferred me to the FREAKING REGISTRAR!!!!

Originally posted by choker:
•i called georgetown to see if they were accepting paper AMCAS applications a few weeks ago. the idiot woman in the admissions office transferred me to the FREAKING REGISTRAR!!!!•

HAHAHAHA

How about this one.....i call Mt. Sinai today to check up on my application status, and they say the lady in charge of my app. is on vacation!

Reactions: 2 users
can u beat this -

i sent my sec to albert einstein two 1/2 months ago and the check still hasnt cleared my acct. So i called them and they said, dont worry its still in our mail piles. we havent started looking through our mail. we are still three months behind.. i asked her if i should send another check because there is a possibility that my envelope got lost , and she said "NO, NO, we dont want any one to mail us for another 3 months so we can catch up"

ISNT that great :)

You guys are all acting like this is a normal year...it is definitely not for a lot of reasons. Expect those AAMC March and May deadlines to be pushed WAY back. This is the year of the procrastinator, both by schools and applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Have to agree with SwampMan here. UF and FSU have some very courteous and professional people in their admissions offices. I dunno about the rest since I'm not applying there. EVMS was kinda rude, but the person could've just been having a bad day I guess.

Originally posted by none:
•You guys are all acting like this is a normal year...it is definitely not for a lot of reasons. Expect those AAMC March and May deadlines to be pushed WAY back. This is the year of the procrastinator, both by schools and applicants.•

Hell yea, all the delays helped push my statements and secondaries into the "early" category. (What good that did huh)

For Jalbrekt and others,
Welcome to the real world. No matter the nature of your business, you will often find ignorance and laziness disguised as rudeness when you seek assistance from front end staff in the Wahington DC area. This rule applies to many other urban areas as well. Notable exceptions are Philadelphia PA and Seattle WA.

Pitt's notorious for being friendly, but when I requested to have my potential interview while I was in the area, the admissions person scoffed at me and said, "at Pitt, you have to be invited for an interview." Wow, really? I would have never guessed. ;)

To groundhog:
"Welcome to the real world"? What is that about? Can't I bitch on this forum without people unfairly being condescending to me. I never said the world should be perfect but if you want to be competative with some of the top medical students (not saying that is me in particular) you need to treat them with respect. Georgetown definately does not do this with their students.
And why is it that Urban areas are the rule mean to people? (not counting Seattle and Philly for some reason. Wasn't it Seattle that told someone to jump?) People not in major cities are for some reason nicer? Awfully stereotypical statement.

PS sorry for the spelling errors. I'm to lazy to spell check.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i'll plug an admissions office in an urban (non philly, non seattle) area. u chicago has the nicest most caring people i've run into in this process. Sylvia Robertson is awesome, and she'll really go out of her way for you.

Originally posted by DJ W.R.:
•Georgetown was the only school I decided NOT to send a secondary back to (never mind a current credit report!)...I just got a stinky vibe from them.•

Thats interesting. Thats also the only secondary that I decided not to return just yet(probably never). I have a file for each of the schools to which I applied, and I put Georgetown on "hold". Wishful thinking on my part eh? I figured that if schools can put us on hold we can do the same to them.
:p

Original,

You received the app, so you will notice that of 7656 sending a primary last year, only 4379 completed the secondary! That is a lot of students just throwing their money to the wind! I wonder why so many people submitted an AMCAS but didn't complete the secondary. You think they didn't realize the price tag placed on the secondary app before submitting their primary?

They also interview a TON of applicants! 1221 total!!! What's up with that!? It sounds great to me. I'm tempted to submit now, but, as I said before, I will hold off until other apps are out.

I'm concerned about the whole "Catholic/Jesuit" label too. I dont know if a religious school is my bag baby, yeah! (Austin Powers, in case it doesn't click at first ;) )

Yes. Let's everybody bash georgetown. :)

Of course I read this thread the day I get an interview invitation for Georgetown. :D
Actually, I'm really glad I read this...now I'll be extra careful in scheduling an interview. It seems like they are pretty strict... :)

Originally posted by SwampMan:
•Original,

You received the app, so you will notice that of 7656 sending a primary last year, only 4379 completed the secondary! That is a lot of students just throwing their money to the wind! I wonder why so many people submitted an AMCAS but didn't complete the secondary. You think they didn't realize the price tag placed on the secondary app before submitting their primary?

They also interview a TON of applicants! 1221 total!!! What's up with that!? It sounds great to me. I'm tempted to submit now, but, as I said before, I will hold off until other apps are out.

I'm concerned about the whole "Catholic/Jesuit" label too. I dont know if a religious school is my bag baby, yeah! (Austin Powers, in case it doesn't click at first ;) )•

Hey Swampman I heard some insider stuff that the place is in a financial coma. On the internet I actually got a hold of the minutes of some meeting in which some dude suggested that GT cut all MD/PhD funding so that only the "true" researchers will come to the program. I laughed so hard I think I broke a rib in the process. I wouldnt want to be caught dead or alive in a school at which such reasoning seats on the management board.

:confused:

Isn't the Georgetown credit report only required when you matriculate at the school? From what I understand, you don't have to send it in with your secondary application. Like some of you, my Georgetown secondary is collecting dust on my desk's corner. I don't like school that uses paper thinner than the paper I use for my personal conrespondence and whatnot. Now, I am considering not sending out Georgetown...

Jalbrekt,
Why does the rule apply to Washington DC as well as many other urban areas? Tight labor markets, entry level pay for the folks answering the phones, and horrible public education systems. So, who are you likely to get on the other end of the line when you phone into those areas? The folks who are more concerned about breaking their brightly colored long nails than they are about providing assistance. The ones who are just putting in their time on a day job while waiting for their big chance to debut on Jerry Springer or Judge Judy.

bump

Dang Jalby, to bump this almost a year later, you must be one bitter soul. Maybe it's time to let it go.

Originally posted by DJ W.R.
Georgetown was the only school I decided NOT to send a secondary back to (never mind a current credit report!)...I just got a stinky vibe from them.

ya, what's up with this current credit report? I thought that was ONLY if you matriculate...the secondary included:

100 buck check
secondary
picture
essay

anything else!?

Originally posted by Mudd
Dang Jalby, to bump this almost a year later, you must be one bitter soul. Maybe it's time to let it go.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously Jalby.

Dude - Give. it. up.

Originally posted by Mudd

Never.

Addendum to the story, that I didn't add because I didn't want anybody to find out I did this while I was still a pre-med student and applying.

Once I was told I was rejected because I hadn't written the letter (Same phone call), I asked to talk to someone higher up. Finally I got to the person who told me that I was never going to get an interview because I didn't send in the letter and there was nothing I could do about it. Once I was sure he wasn't just the secretary (I think he was the dean), I proceeded to cuss him out. It felt good.

Reactions: 6 users
Originally posted by ScreamingTreesRule
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously Jalby.

Dude - Give. it. up.
:laugh:

to bump this almost a year later, you must be one bitter soul.
And then to hunt this down and bump it again months later?

Jalby,

No offense, but you are really scary. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Originally posted by CatsAreKillers

And then to hunt this down and bump it again months later?

Jalby,

No offense, but you are really scary. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Somebody mentioned Georgetown in the allo forum and asked for good and bad things about it, so I searched this thread down and figured might as well.

I'm nominating Northwestern for worst of the year. I call there to be sure something is in my file, it's a seriously important letter. The woman tells me I need to do online status checks. I say, no, I can't check this online, it's a separate letter. She proceeds to yell at me, and then makes me explain why I feel that I am special enough to take her precious time. So I ask for her superior, at which point she hangs the phone up on me. So I call the next day, get someone to actually look in my file, find the letter, say yes, it is there. In the background I hear, "tell that girl to use the online check." I nearly died of laughter. I also almost pulled my app. Probably doesn't matter, they have yet to offer me an interview.

Originally posted by Adcadet
I don't think there's anything wrong with all of us keeping in mind the rough spots
Keeping in mind? Jalby is more like obsessing over not getting into a really exclusive medical school.

Most of us have gotten a rejection from Harvard and Penn. And most of us practically expected to get turned down because those are two really competitve exclusive schools. That's reality.

I submitted AMCAS to Georgetown but did not complete the secondary...didn't like the snottiness I got when I called the admissions office.

Anyhow, Georgetown is not that great of a school. It was in the past but not anymore. People still submit AMCAS to it because they think it's a good school but once they realize, they don't submit the secondary.

Jalby: what you did took balls. Pretty funny stuff... :laugh:

They kick ass on Match Day and they only have one of the best names in the country. It's a great school (if you can get in).

Originally posted by Jalby
Never.

Addendum to the story, that I didn't add because I didn't want anybody to find out I did this while I was still a pre-med student and applying.

Once I was told I was rejected because I hadn't written the letter (Same phone call), I asked to talk to someone higher up. Finally I got to the person who told me that I was never going to get an interview because I didn't send in the letter and there was nothing I could do about it. Once I was sure he wasn't just the secretary (I think he was the dean), I proceeded to cuss him out. It felt good.

Another bump on this thread? Life goes on, Jalby. There will be a lot of "Georgetowns" in your life - don't let them all of them get you bitter or you will die way too young!

Originally posted by Bob Dole
didn't like the snottiness I got when I called the admissions office.
But they're all snooty. Yale, Stanford, ... any school with a top name has a bit of an edge to them.

People still submit AMCAS to it because they think it's a good school but once they realize, they don't submit the secondary.
Where did you get this information???? I don't think it's accurate.

Originally posted by cg1
Except for the few people like Jably who whine about not getting in (more like stew for years in Jalby's case), they have a great reputation,

I wasn;t whining about not getting in. They would be low on my list even if I had interviewed. I was bitching because my interview invite was withdrawn because I couldn't make it out there because I was teaching a class (If you read the story, you would know this)

As for that great reputation they have, not so much.

PS. I'm not as serious about this as a lot of you are assuming I am.

Originally posted by Jalby
I wasn;t whining about not getting in.

Personally, I didn't think it sounded like you were whining so much as you're a freakin' head case.

" ... PS. I'm not as serious about this as a lot of you are assuming I am."

You actually dug this thread up TWICE to bump? That's serious, alright. Seriously F'd up. You have issues with rejection. :eek:

Originally posted by doctor girl
Personally, I didn't think it sounded like you were whining so much as you're a freakin' head case.

Personally, I can't believe he's still posting about this! :laugh:

This is reminding me of that nimrod poster named "zionist" who posted that stupid-@ss poem about med school and when no one replied to his lame thread, he created another thread a week later with the same stupid-@ass poem followed by a stupid-@ss laughing smiley. Does the horror never end?

As for that great reputation they have, not so much.
Don't take this the wrong way... but University of So Cal??

Dude, how can you dis G'town's rep when they have one of the best names in the academic community ... and you go to USC?? Not that it's a bad school, but it's no Georgetown.

G'town has one of the best "names" in the country. If you're going to play the "name game" (which it's obvious that this kind of thing is important to you)... USC has zero "name".

For the sake of everyone at SDN, get a grip and move on with your life.

isn't USC ranked this year in us reports and GT not even in top 50? just wondering...

Originally posted by johnstoner
isn't USC ranked this year in us reports and GT not even in top 50? just wondering...
They're barely ranked (as was Georgetown last year). Neither one is a top medical school.

However, Southern Cal's undergrad isn't even in the Top 30, but Georgetown is around Top 20.

There's no doubt that Georgetown has one of the most prestigious reputations around. The same couldn't be said for Southern Cal. :( Although their rivalry with Notre Dame should be noted. ;)

wow jalby whover this crackhead is---fuking whiner. Dude they LOST may apps and i wasnt even bitching like u are. u sound like a typic premed whiner

For the life of me I can't figure out why in the world you are giving Jalby a hard time. Are you all too hard headed to see that it's not the rejection he cared about, it's the desire to be treated with respect? Rejection is a way of life, everyone deals with it, and Jalby (as a two time applicant I believe if my memory serves me correctly) has surely faced, and accepted, his fair share of rejection.

If any of you would think for one iota of a second about what you say, you'd realize by his own words that he would've chosen Keck over G-town even if they had accepted him. There's nothing wrong with asking to be treated with respect in this world, after all, it's not a difficult task to accomplish and we'd all be a bit better off if everyone WAS treated with respect. And there is nothing wrong with bumping a thread who's intent was to talk about admissions staffs who display a LACK of respect.

Reactions: 6 users
Originally posted by Ramoray
Dude they LOST may apps and i wasnt even bitching like u are. u sound like a typic premed whiner
:laugh: :laugh:

Seriously. Other people have had applications lost and they actually went on with their lives. How do they refrain from committing suicide? :rolleyes:

Jalby - Do the words "enough is enough" have any meaning to you?

There's nothing wrong with asking to be treated with respect
No, there's nothing wrong with that. But there gets to be a point when you start acting like a psycho and bump threads that have been dead for over a year. And then :eek: AGAIN :eek: , after an additional half a year!!

Do you have any idea how many tens of thousands of students weren't treated with respect by Admissions people??? Are you guys for real?? There's one person who was told by Howard to "not call back ever again". That person isn't obsessing half as much Jalby is and he was wronged even more, imho.

Let sleeping dogs lie. Let this thread die a peaceful death. Let Jalby get the medication he so desperately needs!! :eek:

Originally posted by Ramoray
wow jalby whover this crackhead is---fuking whiner. Dude they LOST may apps and i wasnt even bitching like u are. u sound like a typic premed whiner

Jalby is in med school, so if you're going to call him a whiner give him the respect he has earned. That's Dr. Whiner to you tough guy.

Reactions: 4 users
The reason Georgetown has such a low acceptance rate is because it's not top school. (When I said Georgetown wasn't a great school in my previous post, I meant it's not a TOP school...sorry abotu that) At the really top schools, there are less applicants because people will self select themselves out. Georgetown, like Penn State for example, is a decent school but not top so alot of people end up applying, so the acceptance rate is low.

dude, everybody stop giving jalby such a hard time. He's just telling a story, relax. I dont think he sounds psycho or obsessed.
Second, I would never in a million years go to gtown over USC - whoever was saying that USC doesnt have a name is ridiculous. Maybe not on a national level, i dont know, but if you want to live in California, the USC connections thing is unbeatable. And thats something i have noticed over the last 10 years or so, not in the last several months of the app process. Two of my doctors went to SC, another did her residency there. A lot of my best friends had parents who went to USC and are now top dogs in so cal (heads of ERs, etc).
Sorry for the incoherency of this post, i just dont think that you people shoul dbe so rude to jalby for no reason.

and i second what bob dole said (never thought i;d say that haha). Schools like georgetown and BU have low acceptance rates because they get so many applications because they are seen as "safer" schools.

Originally posted by Bounty
and i second what bob dole said (never thought i;d say that haha). Schools like georgetown and BU have low acceptance rates because they get so many applications because they are seen as "safer" schools.

wow G town is a "safety" school.. only on SDN i tell ya

ramoray
I didnt say it is a safety school. Read what I wrote, It is seen as SAFER school becvause their averages are a little lower. Straight out of the mouth of my premed advisor.

Status
Not open for further replies.