Worst admissions staff in the country.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From a thread about thank you notes and consequences:
Just an addition: one of the speakers at Georgetown's interview day said that thank you letters are used during applicant review, and not doing one will almost surely yield a waitlist at the minimum. Just advice for future applicants there. It was a long and insightful talk, but I was lucky to catch this part. Most of the other people interviewing had glazed looks on their faces by this point. Worked well in my case.
I think this is a nice addition to this thread, solidifying Georgetown's reputation as an accommodating school

@Jalby

Reactions: 5 users
Still love the school, but I was unsure as to why a thank you letter was part of the decision process.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I think this is a nice addition to this thread, solidifying Georgetown's reputation as an accommodating school

@Jalby

Sweet mother mercy, how petty can we get? I know your MCAT, GPA, ECs, and interview were incredible - but your thank you letter did not include the proper quantity of chocolates or cash.

@Jalby

I don't blame them. It's good etiquette to send a thank you note, even if most schools just ignore them. This is a formal setting. You must be willing to dress the part and act the part. You have to suck up but at the same time not come across as facetious.

@Jalby

Most schools will allow a thank you letter to tip the scales. Georgetown is the ONLY school that makes it a requirement. As they told me over the phone:

We are Georgetown University. There are thousands of applicants just like you who would take a spot here.

Hearing stories like what you posted shows me that their attitude towards applicants just being numbers hasn't changed in the past 14 years.

Reactions: 1 users
You have to admire Georgetown's hubris.

Although their main teaching hospital is consistently not ranked, or even considered the top hospital in DC (http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/washington-dc), they're comfortable telling applicants that their academic achievements, extracurricular activities and $130 application fee won't suffice without a thank you letter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I know I'm asking a biased group here...but I'm WLed at gtown but accepted at another med school that I'll most likely attend (Loyola...and I'm like 90% sure I'd pick Loyola over Gtown), unless gtown is supposedly a MUCH better school (quoting threads from 2001 here though, so I'm sure things have changed since then). I'm honestly tempted to just withdraw from the WL here, since I would need to write a LOI to even have a chance of getting off the WL. What do you guys think? Also, I'm pretty sure cost of living is cheaper in Maywood anyway...

I know I'm asking a biased group here...but I'm WLed at gtown but accepted at another med school that I'll most likely attend (Loyola...and I'm like 90% sure I'd pick Loyola over Gtown), unless gtown is supposedly a MUCH better school (quoting threads from 2001 here though, so I'm sure things have changed since then). I'm honestly tempted to just withdraw from the WL here, since I would need to write a LOI to even have a chance of getting off the WL. What do you guys think? Also, I'm pretty sure cost of living is cheaper in Maywood anyway...
Do you want to live in Chicago or DC? That should be an easy decision. If you are 90% sure already, this question is low-yield. Georgetown is not considered to be an amazing private school by non @Jalby-infected people

Reading this while I draft up another WL update to GT :rofl:
I'm a hypocrite.

I read this whole thing but I'm still applying here. Guess I'm a sucker.

Members don't see this ad :)
...this thread was started 1 month after 9/11...:eek:

:p I just want to post to be a part of the epic-ness.

I read this whole thing but I'm still applying here. Guess I'm a sucker.
You can start writing your letter of intent now. They still admit people based on if they write those or not.

Reactions: 8 users
Add me to the list of thousand applicants who applied but didn't finished the secondary at Georgetown due to this thread :) Happily accepted at somewhere else

Add me to the list of thousand applicants who applied but didn't finished the secondary at Georgetown due to this thread :) Happily accepted at somewhere else
I'm hoping we get to the point where it would have been cheaper for them to just offer me a full ride 15 years ago.

Reactions: 19 users
Coincidence or conspiracy? Georgetown = Al Qaeda??

To be honest though, I can see how the GW staff, being in D.C., may have been a bit on the fritz 1 month after a plane crashed into the Pentagon and WTC.

You can start writing your letter of intent now. They still admit people based on if they write those or not.

Is this really true? If I get waitlisted I'll send one lol.

Yeah I was in 3rd grade too lol
I remember this was one of the first things I read as a lurker on SDN years ago lol. Nice introduction. For some reason, this was on the front page at that time when I was beginning college in 2011 haha.

Last edited:
I feel like if I post here, I will leave my own mark that will be preserved into the future. So here goes!

If you are reading this in 2016, you win. :D
Win
If you're reading this in 2021, you win.:thumbup:
20 year anniversary
Also in internship there was the program coordinator who told me if I took someones weekend call in July in violation of ACGME rules (having worked 26 strait days) she would let me go three days early at the end of the year. The program director agreed to this trade. That June I gave my 30 day notice, packed up the U-Haul, and was just about to leave when she sent an e-mail to the program director (who was out of town) saying she never approved that. I had luckily logged all of my days. I complained to the program director, and he said tough. I filed a work hours violation with my print out of days that I worked to the GME. The PC had lied to GME about my situation and she had changed my days worked in the computer a day after having sent the e-mail. This showed up and I had the printout in my hand of what I had actually worked.. They told me they would handle it. 30 minutes later I was free to leave. The program coordinator was fired about a week or three later.
Well dang. At least this worked out in your favor, instead of Georgetown.
Happy Birthday Jalby, you tall handsome devil
But is he? :love:

Last edited:
To be honest though, I can see how the GW staff, being in D.C., may have been a bit on the fritz 1 month after a plane crashed into the Pentagon and WTC.
Ummmm..... no.

Is this really true? If I get waitlisted I'll send one lol.
They still do. From what I have read on this page (Because everybody tags me in Georgetown stuff) They waitlist almost everybody and the only people who get in are the ones who write LOIs. I think this is completely unfair and gaming the system (and they are the only school that does this). So that's why I think people should game them and everybody write LOIs to them. That's also why I don't really feel bad about this thread popping up a bunch.

Counter point, still no. This was no spur of the moment decision by their admissions director. I expect people to actually be competent, especially if you can make it to the head of a department. If you think someone would make an irrational thought out decision 3 weeks after 9/11 just doesn't pass the smell test at all. The director of GUs admissions department shouldn't be a nervous wreck three weeks later.

So again, No. Not even close.

Counter point, still no. This was no spur of the moment decision by their admissions director. I expect people to actually be competent, especially if you can make it to the head of a department. If you think someone would make an irrational thought out decision 3 weeks after 9/11 just doesn't pass the smell test at all. The director of GUs admissions department shouldn't be a nervous wreck three weeks later.

So again, No. Not even close.

Yes.

NO. I don't know what you're arguing about I just wanted to keep the yes and no going.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

They must have done something right 4 years ago though cause I just looked at their match list and they had people going to great programs in anesthesiology

I'm a little bit pissed right now. I hate Georgetown. I'm nominating them for the worst admissions committee in the nation.

I got the invite for an interview a month ago and it told me I had to schedual by october 1st and interview by the 28th. We'll I teach a class in California every monday, wednesday and friday and there is no way that I could have flown out to washington DC and back in time to interview and make my class. I called them up Sept 25th and told them this, and I would have to interview in december. They told me I had to write a letter to the dean and explain my problem and he might consider letting me have an extension. I think this is bull****, but I'll do it later in the month.
Today I find out that my friday, oct 28th, class is cancelled. I try calling up Georgetown to see if I can get an interview then. The tell me that since I never wrote a letter to the dean, there is no way they will ever let me interview. I'm thinking this is complete BS. By the time I can finish the letter and the dean reviews it and all the other stuff there is no way I will be able to get a flight to Washington DC. But then they tell me that not only can't I interview in October, but because they didn't recieve the letter by Oct 1st, I was automatically rejected. So now I probably never will be able to interview at Georgetown because of their F***d up admission policies. I'm not normally a vengful person, but if I remember this next June or so I'm going to try and encourage people (at least on the west coast) not even to waste the 150$ to apply to GT.

Thanks for reading my post. I feel a little bit better now.
Mt Sinai was pretty terrible, staff openly made fun of several students in front of everyone. Was pretty uncomfortable for everyone...

Called Georgetown to ask a question regarding the upcoming admissions cycle...was left waiting on the phone for 15 minutes. I called back again. Got hold for 10 minutes. Called one last time. They hung up on me. :boom:

Reactions: 3 users
Mt Sinai was pretty terrible, staff openly made fun of several students in front of everyone. Was pretty uncomfortable for everyone...

Not that it is any more professional- but the students they made fun of, were they present also?

Why be so mean?

*Edit, not saying anyone has to be treated as a delicate snowflake, but mockery hardly seems necessary.

Not that it is any more professional- but the students they made fun of, were they present also?

Why be so mean?

*Edit, not saying anyone has to be treated as a delicate snowflake, but mockery hardly seems necessary.
yea the students were in the room... It was uncomfortable for everyone except the Latina admissions staff who made the rude remarks in front of the student. It was so bad they should have been reported for harassment. Very awkward and just plain wrong.

yea the students were in the room... It was uncomfortable for everyone except the Latina admissions staff who made the rude remarks in front of the student. It was so bad they should have been reported for harassment. Very awkward and just plain wrong.

That's terrible. And really disappointing. What would you even make fun of in such a situation? :yeahright:

Status
Not open for further replies.