Worst Case Scenarios

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mechtel

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am currently applied to quite a few MD schools. I'm applying broadly and early. I have a 34 MCAT (11 or higher in each section) and 3.9 AMCAS cGPA from top Ivy school. I come from disadvantaged background, have what I'm confident is a very unusual profile, and unique but hopefully sufficient volunteer, research and other ECs.

I'm sure this sounds paranoid, but I'm totally committed to attending medical school next year and am already imagining worst case scenarios while I remain positive and hopeful for good news this fall.

First, what is likelihood that I would get in somewhere? I've heard everything from "process is very competitive" to "I'm sure you'll get in somewhere."

Second, after reading over lengthy discussions of difficulty of matching from Caribbean, I'm leaning toward applying to DO schools as a backup plan. Is it really so hard to find good residency from Caribbean? I like the idea of holistic medicine, but would prefer not to have to explain that I'm a "real doctor." Should I apply now to DO schools or wait until I hear from MD? If I apply early to DO and get in early, would I be able to wait until March to decide? Some of my top MD schools don't report until March.

Thank you all for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't foresee you having any trouble getting into US MD schools. It's a competitive process, yes, but you're well above the average.

Members don't see this ad :)
your school will give u a bump..plus you have good stats...you will be just fine!
dont be paranoid!

Hi All,

I am currently applied to quite a few MD schools. I'm applying broadly and early. I have a 34 MCAT (11 or higher in each section) and 3.9 AMCAS cGPA from top Ivy school. I come from disadvantaged background, have what I'm confident is a very unusual profile, and unique but hopefully sufficient volunteer, research and other ECs.

I'm sure this sounds paranoid, but I'm totally committed to attending medical school next year and am already imagining worst case scenarios while I remain positive and hopeful for good news this fall.

First, what is likelihood that I would get in somewhere? I've heard everything from "process is very competitive" to "I'm sure you'll get in somewhere."

Second, after reading over lengthy discussions of difficulty of matching from Caribbean, I'm leaning toward applying to DO schools as a backup plan. Is it really so hard to find good residency from Caribbean? I like the idea of holistic medicine, but would prefer not to have to explain that I'm a "real doctor." Should I apply now to DO schools or wait until I hear from MD? If I apply early to DO and get in early, would I be able to wait until March to decide? Some of my top MD schools don't report until March.

Thank you all for any input!

Assuming you really did apply broadly, you are a strong interview away from getting into a US MD school. Yes, DO is your back up plan (although I highly doubt you will need it). Yes, the Caribbean is just not a good way to go.

The stigma attached to DO schools is dying away, so you shouldn't be concerned about "real" and "unreal" doctors.

If you are totally paranoid, then apply to 4-5 DO schools now. Note that some of them require DO letters, so check on that.

Assuming you really did apply broadly, you are a strong interview away from getting into a US MD school. Yes, DO is your back up plan (although I highly doubt you will need it). Yes, the Caribbean is just not a good way to go.

The stigma attached to DO schools is dying away, so you shouldn't be concerned about "real" and "unreal" doctors.

If you are totally paranoid, then apply to 4-5 DO schools now. Note that some of them require DO letters, so check on that.

I applied to 20+ schools--everywhere from Hopkins to the typical "safeties." Most are in middle range in terms of GPA*10+MCAT. Is this considered broad?

So far, I've only heard from Mayo--LOR Request, which apparently is sent to 20% of their applicants.

I applied to 20+ schools--everywhere from Hopkins to the typical "safeties." Most are in middle range in terms of GPA*10+MCAT. Is this considered broad?

So far, I've only heard from Mayo--LOR Request, which apparently is sent to 20% of their applicants.

Yeah, that sounds good, since you should be a great candidate at mid tier. Not to say you don't have a shot at top tier, but of course, no one is really a lock up there.

Good luck!

Also, I really have no idea about how acceptances work. If I'm fortunate enough to get into a school earlier, would I have until March 15 (when a few schools give out decisions) in order to respond? Do schools give you a certain amount of time from acceptance or is there a deadline for all applicants regardless of when you applied?

If I apply to DO schools now, would I also have until March to respond if I were accepted?

Also, I really have no idea about how acceptances work. If I'm fortunate enough to get into a school earlier, would I have until March 15 (when a few schools give out decisions) in order to respond? Do schools give you a certain amount of time from acceptance or is there a deadline for all applicants regardless of when you applied?

If I apply to DO schools now, would I also have until March to respond if I were accepted?

You can hold multiple acceptances until May 15 (approximate date). At this point you must bring it down to 1. If you are still on waitlists, of course you can stay on those.

I don't know the date for DO, you may want to ask on the Pre-Osteo forum.