Worst dental schools treatment of applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tooth decay

science officer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From your experience in the 2007 cycle, which of the dental schools that you applied to and reason why, would you give the award of "Poorest treatment and processing of dental school applicants"? This would be irregardless of whether you were accepted or rejected.

Members don't see this ad.

SIU-SDM was the worst due to severe discrimination issues. I am glad I am going to another dental school because I really want to spend 4 years where I am happy rather than miserable, and where my degree carries a good reputation rather than a reputation of graduating dentists who have been in cocaine rehab, have DUIs, are physically abusive, cheat, lie, steal, or are racist. There are not just a few, but several SIU-SDM dental students or graduated dentists that I wouldn't trust to pick up my dog's poo. And SIU-SDM administration is fiercsly protective and loyal to covering up their students "problems".

Experience at U of Kentucky was great up until my interviewer (Carol Leslie) asked if my wife was "Islam." That's like asking if someone is Christianity.

They're called Muslims you ignorant old woman and no, you shouldn't be asking me such questions in the first place.

Guess I should have expected such ignorance from at least one person there considering Kentucky probably is part of the "Bible Belt."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Colorado's administration seemed pretty inept. They sat on my application for months because they thought I was missing a letter of recommendation and 4 classes (I wasn't). The only reason I found this out was because I called and asked why I hadn't heard anything back from them.

The receptionists at several schools sounded like they needed a vacation (Nova's was exceptionally rude).

Colorado's administration seemed pretty inept. They sat on my application for months because they thought I was missing a letter of recommendation and 4 classes (I wasn't). The only reason I found this out was because I called and asked why I hadn't heard anything back from them.

The receptionists at several schools sounded like they needed a vacation (Nova's was exceptionally rude).

As I recall from some of the previous threads, wasn't it Colorado who addressed their rejected applicants as "Dear ?" thru email, and not having the courtesy of even putting the person's name in as the addressee?

I heard through here that Howard canceled interviews for people they said they WOULD interview.

As I recall from some of the previous threads, wasn't it Colorado who addressed their rejected applicants as "Dear ?" thru email, and not having the courtesy of even putting the person's name in as the addressee?

This would be true.
The E-Mail started off
Dear :
The Dental Student Admissions Committee reviewed over ...

Then the subject of their e-mails was very clear
NO THANK YOU

atleast they got to the point and you knew that it was a rejection without ever having to open it.

Experience at U of Kentucky was great up until my interviewer (Carol Leslie) asked if my wife was "Islam." That's like asking if someone is Christianity.

They're called Muslims you ignorant old woman and no, you shouldn't be asking me such questions in the first place.

Guess I should have expected such ignorance from at least one person there considering Kentucky probably is part of the "Bible Belt."

:wow::eek: :wow::eek: :wow:

*scratches U of K off list*

tufts treated me badly. never sent me an "application complete" e-mail or letter..... took me over 6 months (after many emails and phone messages) to find out that my application was complete, but that they were done extending interview offers

with $60/application and 4000+ applicants (aka $240000), the least they could do is be professional and timely.

jb!:)

UConn for sure was the worst. They treated me like crap during interview. At first I thought it was just me but then this other girl also came out of interview literally crying.

Of all the interviews I had...even though none of them were "bad"..i'd have to say the school that jerked me around the most was Creighton

Isn't this statement, in principle, just as bad as what this woman said to you?

You're absolutely right.

However, if you heard some of the strange, personal questions that were asked that day you'd be looking for a reason why this so called professional would be asking such things as well. If ever in my life I was to file a lawsuit, that right there would be it.

Regardless, whether Bible-Belt or Qur'an-Belt or just one racist old woman, keep religion out of my interview. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of all the interviews I had...even though none of them were "bad"..i'd have to say the school that jerked me around the most was Creighton

I agree Shamrock. It wasn't so much that I was jerked around, I just felt the interview setup was lacking. If I recall correctly (Creighton I think was my first interview), it was also my quickest interview day. I just expected a bit more I guess.

You're absolutely right.

However, if you heard some of the strange, personal questions that were asked that day you'd be looking for a reason why this so called professional would be asking such things as well. If ever in my life I was to file a lawsuit, that right there would be it.

Regardless, whether Bible-Belt or Qur'an-Belt or just one racist old woman, keep religion out of my interview. Thank you.

oh come on...she was probably just making conversation!! Don't get so freakin uptight! Relax! I know the lady you are speaking of...and she is the nicest person ever! I was asked questions like that at all my interviews...ppl are just trying to make conversation...and by the way...you would be laughed out of a court if you tried to "file a lawsuit" for that! Learn to give people the benefit of the doubt and not be so quick to go off on a tirade about how you would do this and that to them...

Lets see... VCU would be the worst b/c they pick people not b/c they are MOST qualified but b/c they are MOST likely to go to their school....
I call them and they told me .I wasn't given an interview b/c NC residents with above 20 on their DATs are most likely to get into UNC and go there, so they didn't want to give me an interview b/c I was too qualifed and would properly go to UNC... (they are soooooo wrong..but I wish they were right...:laugh: )

Meharry and Howard uses AFFIRM ACTION to the EXTREME so If you are white or asian you properly have a better chance at getting accepted into Harvard then Meharry or Howard...I thought meharry was suppose to be my back up school but it turn out more like a waste of time and money!

Lets see... VCU would be the worst b/c they pick people not b/c they are MOST qualified but b/c they are MOST likely to go to their school....
I call them and they told me .I wasn't given an interview b/c NC residents with above 20 on their DATs are most likely to get into UNC and go there, so they didn't want to give me an interview b/c I was too qualifed and would properly go to UNC... (they are soooooo wrong..but I wish they were right...:laugh: )

Meharry and Howard uses AFFIRM ACTION to the EXTREME so If you are white or asian you properly have a better chance at getting accepted into Harvard then Meharry or Howard...I thought meharry was suppose to be my back up school but it turn out more like a waste of time and money!

haha i love it :rolleyes:

*sarcasm*

I am on the waitling list for that school, but now that I know Meharry is a traditionally african american school and with a mission to help the underserved etc. (i didn't know until AFTER my interview..I just thought b/c their AA is a 16 it will be a guarntee acceptance...lol... ) Now that I know all those things about Meharry...I properly won't go there anyways even if I am accepted. lol..

haha i love it :rolleyes:

*sarcasm*

I thought Nova was pretty rude with me too, so I turned down their interview offer.

i tried calling pitt about my app about 10 times and even emailed. no one every picked up the phone and i never got a response to my email.

Come on! Get over yourselves...schools are schools, you have to earn the right to attend...not visa versa. Everyone not excepted has a problem to complain about. On the flip side...if they were excepted they would sing a different tune. Let's get real...lick your wounds..heal...try again.

The people not accepted complain too....not sure about the excepted people.

I dont think "schools are schools" is a viable defense for schools operating poorly.

oh come on...she was probably just making conversation!! Don't get so freakin uptight! Relax! I know the lady you are speaking of...and she is the nicest person ever! I was asked questions like that at all my interviews...ppl are just trying to make conversation...and by the way...you would be laughed out of a court if you tried to "file a lawsuit" for that! Learn to give people the benefit of the doubt and not be so quick to go off on a tirade about how you would do this and that to them...

Yeah, just conversation. I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you're just uninformed as to the EXTREMELY unprofessional questions I was asked that day by her. I'd elaborate, but I value my privacy and personal life and realize I already took that a bit further than I would have liked. I Look forward to hearing your next post, no doubt filled with your infinite wisdom.

...and by the way...you would be laughed out of a court if you tried to "file a lawsuit" for that! Learn to give people the benefit of the doubt and not be so quick to go off on a tirade about how you would do this and that to them...

This is what i thought when i heard about that McDonalds hot coffee lawsuit. Guess who's laughing now and all the way to the bank? :laugh:

But I think it's more of a case of someone who's not used to diversity trying to ask questions about someone who is different than she is. I doubt it was used as selection criteria and was most like an innocent, albeit ignorant, mistake.

Ahhh, the things we learn. Ditto.

This is what i thought when i heard about that McDonalds hot coffee lawsuit. Guess who's laughing now and all the way to the bank? :laugh:

But I think it's more of a case of someone who's not used to diversity trying to ask questions about someone who is different than she is. I doubt it was used as selection criteria and was most like an innocent, albeit ignorant, mistake.

You're right and I was simply caught unprepared. I should have just told her the questions she was asking were too personal. They started out innocent enough about my travel experiences and my wife and then just became way too over the top.

I'm always hesitant to say bad things about UF since I'm sure it always looks as if I'm just upset because I didn't get in, but even if I had been ACCEPTED I would still have to say that their interview was the coldest, most confrontational interview I've ever been in. Completely unneccesary.

On the flip side, I thought Temple was great throughout the entire process. They really made me feel like they were truly interested in selling their school to me.

My first interview was at IU. I think that they were professional and treated me with respect; wouldn't say anything bad about them. However, as my first interview, i was kinda taken back by being interviewed by a board. It was two faculty and a current student (not a huge group, but I think it qualifies as a board). Intimidating stuff.

SIU-SDM was the worst due to severe discrimination issues. I am glad I am going to another dental school because I really want to spend 4 years where I am happy rather than miserable, and where my degree carries a good reputation rather than a reputation of graduating dentists who have been in cocaine rehab, have DUIs, are physically abusive, cheat, lie, steal, or are racist. There are not just a few, but several SIU-SDM dental students or graduated dentists that I wouldn't trust to pick up my dog's poo. And SIU-SDM administration is fiercsly protective and loyal to covering up their students "problems".

Sounds like you are bitter you did not get in there. How do you know all these things if you have never even attended there?