Worst medical school in the United States?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Septimusseverus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious. I tried looking this up on US News and World Report but it wasn't very helpful.

What's the worst MD school in the country? What's the worst DO school in the country?

Members don't see this ad.

This is an incredibly subjective question.
Quoting an earlier thread, the following schools are places where you're unlikely to get a good medical education:

1. Harvard School of Law

2. Wharton School of Management

3. John F. Kennedy Memorial Elementary School

4. NYU School of Film

5. Philadelphia Institute of Culinary Arts

I've decided to stay away from these schools since their reputations as medical schools is not that strong.

Reactions: 58 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious. I tried looking this up on US News and World Report but it wasn't very helpful.

What's the worst MD school in the country? What's the worst DO school in the country?

I don't think there is one. And even if there is one, the *worst* medical school would be completely relative. For example- you absolutely hate large metropolitan areas, NYU wouldn't be a good idea etc...

Every medical school. Everybody should withdraw all their applications and acceptances!

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
Can't comment on overall quality, but @Jalby can probably point you to the worst admissions department.

Reactions: 17 users
This is an incredibly subjective question.
Quoting an earlier thread, the following schools are places where you're unlikely to get a good medical education:

1. Harvard School of Law

2. Wharton School of Management

3. John F. Kennedy Memorial Elementary School

4. NYU School of Film

5. Philadelphia Institute of Culinary Arts

I've decided to stay away from these schools since their reputations as medical schools is not that strong.

Lawl

OP, in case you haven't read between the lines at this point, what people are saying is that "worst" is meaningless as far as medical education is concerned. Every school is accredited and will teach you what you need to be a good doctor. Which school you least want to attend depends on what you consider most important to avoid. But as far as education, there is no worst (or best for that matter). Simply "fit".

Reactions: 6 users
Hollywood Upstairs Medical College.

Also Liberty University. There I said it.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
that won't be that bad of a business idea if you had the $ and balls though. start your own medical school and have a crazy tuition. i'll guarantee a bunch of desperate premeds would pay. not that ethical though.

that won't be that bad of a business idea if you had the $ and balls though. start your own medical school and have a crazy tuition. i'll guarantee a bunch of desperate premeds would pay. not that ethical though.

This defines the caribbean.

Reactions: 17 users

QFT. For anyone unfamiliar, this "university" has dinosaur bones it claims are less than 4000 years old.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't want to name names, but there are a few US MD schools that have really bad reputations due to past mishaps. E.g., severe financial problems in the 80s and 90s. The concerns are unwarranted now, but I think that some older physicians still look down on those schools. I have a friend doing a surgery residency who says he is routinely berated by fellow surgeons because of his alma mater.

liberty has a med school?

edit: DEAR GOD.... they plan to enroll 600 students per year? i'm as pro-DO as you can get but jesus christ (irony) AOA, what the sht is this, i don't know what i hate more, for-profit schools or this garbage. do they intend to skip ob/g altogether at this new institution?

Reactions: 11 users
While I've heard the horror stories about the surgical rotations and mid-level encroachment at HLS and Wharton, I want specific names of medical schools. Come on, people! My medical education rides on this!

Dr. Jones quack back ally doctor's emporium and inflatable balloon tube men, is a very bad school. The first day, I got a I.O.U, an Obama sticker, a Romney sticker and a rusty scalpel.

While I've heard the horror stories about the surgical rotations and mid-level encroachment at HLS and Wharton, I want specific names of medical schools. Come on, people! My medical education rides on this!
Does it matter? Just pick a state school and a decent known one. Problem solved.

I'll break the silence and say what everyone wants to say;

If we are talking about ANY "medical school," then it is a tie between the Stewart School of Medicine's of the world.

If we are talking about ANY "accredited medical school," then it is a tie between the Carribbeans.

If we are talking about ANY "accredited US medical school," then it is a tie between all the DOs.

If we are talking about ANY "accredited US allopathic medical school," then it is a tie between all the unranked schools on USNWR.

There, I said it. Let the flaming begin.

I personally wonder how liberty trained physicians will handle the rare defect of vestigial tails, and antibiotic resistance. But yea out of the entirety of the US, the only two medical schools I wouldn't ever attend are Liberty and Rocky Vista. Everywhere else with a few differences will give you a great education.

edit: DEAR GOD.... they plan to enroll 600 students per year? i'm as pro-DO as you can get but jesus christ (irony) AOA, what the sht is this, i don't know what i hate more, for-profit schools or this garbage. do they intend to skip ob/g altogether at this new institution?
I honestly think that if a school like Liberty manages to get fully accredited by the AOA, it actually will hurt the reputation of the DO schools everywhere.

Reactions: 7 users
I honestly think that if a school like Liberty manages to get fully accredited by the AOA, it actually will hurt the reputation of the DO schools everywhere.
Can someone at all explain why Liberty is receiving such backlash? Is it due to the Biology controversy and their disregard for some existing scientific evidence (namely, the dinosaur fossil bit)

Can someone at all explain why Liberty is receiving such backlash? Is it due to the Biology controversy and their disregard for some existing scientific evidence (namely, the dinosaur fossil bit)

It's also because Jerry Falwell is a terrible human being.

Edit: Pardon me, was a terrible human being. Forgot he died.

Reactions: 2 users
Can't comment on overall quality, but @Jalby can probably point you to the worst admissions department.

Is that thread still alive? I like how he's a resident now and he still posts in it. The anger never dies.

I personally wonder how liberty trained physicians will handle the rare defect of vestigial tails, and antibiotic resistance. But yea out of the entirety of the US, the only two medical schools I wouldn't ever attend are Liberty and Rocky Vista. Everywhere else with a few differences will give you a great education.
Wow I just looked up Rocky Vista. I did not realize that we already had a fully accredited for-profit med school already in the US that has already graduated students. That is disgusting.

I'm a very devout catholic, and I had a devout roman catholic as a high school teacher and she said biology doesn't make sense without evolution.

I'm a very devout catholic, and I had a devout roman catholic as a high school teacher and she said biology doesn't make sense without evolution.
Similar situation as myself (Also, congratulations on USF? Not sure what other schools are up there)
I don't feel that religion has to conflict with science all the time.
I feel that more often than not that they're two different languages speaking of the same thing.

QFT. For anyone unfamiliar, this "university" has dinosaur bones it claims are less than 4000 years old.

Oh yea... it's legit.

images

Whoa, just looked up the creation museum. They have a new exhibit arguing that dragons were actually dinosaurs and stories of knights fighting dragons were actually about knights fighting dinosaurs!!! :/

Reactions: 1 users
Oh yea... it's legit.

images
I've been there. One of the best theme parks in all of Southern California. Has more fairy tales in it than Disneyland. My favorite one is where they draw a map and pictures of where Noahs Ark was discovered.

Whoa, just looked up the creation museum. They have a new exhibit arguing that dragons were actually dinosaurs and stories of knights fighting dragons were actually about knights fighting dinosaurs!!! :/

Lancelot vs. Smaug was epic.

Reactions: 3 users
I've been there. One of the best theme parks in all of Southern California. Has more fairy tales in it than Disneyland. My favorite one is where they draw a map and pictures of where Noahs Ark was discovered.

:bang:

If we are talking about ANY "accredited US allopathic medical school," then it is a tie between all the unranked schools on USNWR.
Don't you mean "Rank Not Published"?

Unranked just means US News has no idea how to rank the school, because the school didn't return the survey. Mayo was unranked for years, and I doubt they would ever be considered amongst the worst schools. Rank Not Published, on the other hand, means US News knows exactly what their rank is, but since it is so low they decided not to publish the actual number out of respect.

Also, since you mentioned "accredited US allopathic medical school", you forgot to mention schools that are on probation and at risk of not being accredited in four years.

The Commonwealth Medical College and New York Medical College often come up as low bucket medical schools.

Don't you mean "Rank Not Published"?

Unranked just means US News has no idea how to rank the school, because the school didn't return the survey. Mayo was unranked for years, and I doubt they would ever be considered amongst the worst schools. Rank Not Published, on the other hand, means US News knows exactly what their rank is, but since it is so low they decided not to publish the actual number out of respect.

Also, since you mentioned "accredited US allopathic medical school", you forgot to mention schools that are on probation and at risk of not being accredited in four years.
Name them. Cripes.

I wonder if Liberty is going to teach that men have one more rib than women in gross anatomy
Wow I just looked up Rocky Vista. I did not realize that we already had a fully accredited for-profit med school already in the US that has already graduated students. That is disgusting.
Looks like Liberty's new dean was Rocky Vista's former dean.

Wait, does this mean game of thrones is real?

Reactions: 3 users

600 is going to be the four year total.

If we are talking about ANY "medical school," then it is a tie between the Stewart School of Medicine's of the world.

If we are talking about ANY "accredited medical school," then it is a tie between the Carribbeans.

If we are talking about ANY "accredited US medical school," then it is a tie between all the DOs.

There, I said it. Let the flaming begin.

You said a lot, none of which really means anything...

Reactions: 2 users

What's the big deal with 'for-profit?' It's not like non-profit schools are much better, with worthless dead-weight administrators pulling down massive salaries.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.