Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Worst Testing Experience

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by rochagurl89, May 6, 2008.

1. rochagurl89

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So today we had a biology final and about half way in, the fire alarm went off. So everyone went out and although there was potential to cheat and talk to friends, I didn't hear anyone do it and the TA's were there as well. We eventually got back in and found out that some idiot had pulled the alarm on their way out the exam!:eek: The professor was furious to say the least and although nobody probably cheated during the 10 min we were outside, she refused to give back our exams. I guess I don't blame her completely but now it is really unfair to the people who were there. Supposedly she is now only going to grade us on what we had completed which is not to my benefit. (It is now going to be based on a percentage of our correct answers over everything we answered). I didn't necessarily finish answering the questions since I tend to keep going back to my work. I think I ended up leaving out parts of the questions with the intent of going back but didn't have the time too. I was only 2 points away from an A until this final and so I studied hard and could have been fine but now I have no idea how this is going to affect us. Ugh it's so frustrating!

Haha sorry for the rant....but any of you have any such experiences...?

2. armybound

armybound urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    we had a fire alarm when I took the MCAT.

3. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would complain if the grade on this exam (is it a final? for what pct of your final grade?) is less than what I had going in to the final...

4. NickMB

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Not many horrible experiences per se, but for my Genetics final, we only had an hour and a half to answer 50 questions, some of which were LONG (for those of you who know Genetics stuff, I'm talking about calculating map distances, weird dihybrid crosses, modified Medelian ratios, the works!). University rules state that comprehensive exams must be two and a half hours, but this comprehensive exam was only one and a half. I was only on question 24 when the professor called 20 minutes :p

Looking back on it, I should've started from the last question and worked up because the last questions were the shorter ones, since they focused mostly on DNA replication and mutations, and RNA transcription and translation, especially since they're all worth the same amount of points. Oh well, can't do anything about it now :p

Oh, and I had a comprehensive Physics II final right after the comprehensive Genetics final. Talk about MCAT-level studying :p

5. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Totally agreed.

6. kool aid kid

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    During the MCAT the power went out. Lost all the highlighting from a passage I was working on, and my train of thought. (Turned out ok though)

7. BlitzSleep

BlitzSleep Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    In Chem I our professor gave us the ACS chemistry final and said that we have plenty of time and that we should take our time to do it. I had to make a 98 on it to make an A. I didn't finish it and I made a 94 and made a B in Chem I. Although my experience was my fault, fortunately for me though, it has been my only bad experience in test taking...Excluding the Biology 2 final where I missed making an A by .7 points (final grade). Okay I've had 2 bad experiences in testing that were my fault lol.

8. KnuxNole

KnuxNole Sweets Addict
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    That was me junior year. I had a cumulative Physiology test followed by a cumulative Physics II test...yeah that was fun :rolleyes:

9. thoffen

thoffen Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sorry to hear that. Not much you can do about it, though. If your grade is borderline, you might want to talk to your prof about it.

10. knuck000

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I took my MCAT in August in Arizona, and the exam started a little after 12. At 5 o'clock when I was starting my biological sciences section, the building turned off the A/C. It was about 110 degrees outside and the room got really hot, really fast. I wasn't too happy about it, but at least my test turned out ok.

11. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, if your grade goes down, you should definitely talk to the prof or the dean. I usually go through the exam quickly the first time and then go back more slowly and change the answers that I wasn't sure about, so I'd get a lot more wrong without the second pass.

12. o0rikio0o

5+ Year Member

wow, that would actually turn out to my advantage since i have a test strategy where i answer the easy ones first and then go back and try to answer the tougher questions. if the alarm went off in perfect timing with me answering the easy ones, i would have a 100%. lol.

13. Bacchus

Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This happened at my university in a gen chem exam. The final was written to emphasize more on the material from that exam.

14. el aye

el aye O_o
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

Huh? You needed a 98 for an A, got a 94 and ended up with a B? That's some tight ranges for scores.

The worst thing that's happened for one of my exams so far is not being able to submit mine because the wifi wasn't working (essay exams that we were allowed to use our laptops for). We were given ten minutes to go back to the dorm and submit it on the wired network.

15. BlitzSleep

BlitzSleep Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I meant to say a 98 on the final, but I got a 94. My final grade was like an 88 or 89 I think cause the final was weighed in pretty heavily.

16. the donkey

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    OP that kinda blows. i'd at least talk to your prof and see if something could be done...maybe the dude that pulled it will run his ******* mouth about it and get caught :hardy:

17. pakbabydoll

pakbabydoll Average student
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Biology 2 final 20 questions on classification + 6 very long discussion questions and we only got an hour and a half to finish it. I did the discussion questions but ended up messing up on the classification questions. It turned out ok though...

18. el aye

el aye O_o
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I got that but I guess I didn't think about it being weighed so heavily.

19. lainey234

lainey234 Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    When I took the MCAT last year a radio station started broadcasting LIVE from across the parking lot of the testing center. The bass was so loud that the windows actually rattled during the entire exam.

Also, I had a fire alarm go off in the middle of my BIO 1 final. But our professor made us stay in class and keep taking it. I'm not sure how many fire code and school policies she broke doing that, but at least we finished our exams!

20. departed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This kid that sat behind me kept muttering "this is so gay" and other curses throughout an entire 2 hour final.

21. scattun

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    To the OP, I would definitely be talking to some people about this. Don't wait until you get grades either, because at least at my school, once it has been recorded by the registrar's office it is a pain and very difficult to get fixed. Start with talking to the professor and explain your concerns, if they don't listen I would go to the person above them, either department head or dean.

Now my worst exam experience. I had a class once with like 150 people in it in a classroom with maybe 160 desk/chair combo deals (the vast majority of people were neurotic premeds btw). Also these apparatuses were bolted to the ground in such a configuration that every time I was in this class I had the urge to ask the stewardess for more peanuts. Very tight quarters, you get the picture. Now our professors was like 25 minutes to our exam, which was annoying to begin with. Then she informs us that she has a seating chart in mind and proceeds to go down each aisle (from the end since maneuvering through each would take forever) and call out the names of all 150 people and point to their chairs. 20 minutes later with everyone seated, she begins to hand out the tests, except their are ten different versions and like three different components to eac (cover sheet, scantron, questions) which of course aren't stapled and have to be handed out individually. Keep in mind we are trying to juggle this all on a 2X2 desk from like 1950. After all this, once we are done we have to go to the front of the room, and trade our m/c for a free response section and go back and answer that section. But of course to get to the front we have to crawl over at least 3 or 4 people there and back (unless you were lucky enough to be seated on the aisle). So I guess it wasn't really bad, but it was very, very annoying when all I wanted to do was get it over with.

22. Chargers

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    haha this reminds me of this one time in my infectious disease class, the power of the entire campus went out right in the middle of our final. Guess what, we had to finish it IN THE DARK:eek:.

well not totally in darkness, because the professor and TAs got some table lamps from their lab brought in to use. But they were tiny and only covered the isles, so it was dark for us in the middle. It was so fun. An unforgettable experience.

23. Cegar

7+ Year Member

Huh. Funny.

During my infectious disease class final I got Marburg.

24. LikeClockWork

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    The day of a Calc I exam the professor came in looking very pale. She said she'd been feeling sick but was going to proctor the exam anyway in case there were any questions. She was about halfway through passing out the exams when she wretched and vomited voluminously. Of course, the first thing available to try to block the epic technicolor yawn was the stack of exams in her hand. After she got back from the bathroom she threw away the top 3-4 copies that had gotten the worst of it and started passing out the rest. The copy I got was definitely still a little soggy around the edges...

25. Chargers

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ewww, did you spit on the exam when you gave it back to her? I would have:laugh:

26. paranoid_eyes

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    let me guess....you go to Cal. i heard this kind of nonsense happens all the time over there.

27. kedrin

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    winner!

28. AKu2984

AKu2984 MD to be...
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That is absolutely repulsive, and not very sanitary. I would have...well...:barf:

This story definitely takes the cake...winner all the way!

29. Dazedinvt

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    so freshman year I had a corneal ulcer for my chem 1 final. I couldn't open my eyes more than a squint and I was dumb enough to have not brought a good pair of glasses to school.

So I had to complete the final without studying, holding the paper 6 inches away from my face, and with a really intense headache from the light sensitivity. I also tripped on the stairs as I left the 200 student classroom. It sucked.