Worth an update?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runningkoyote

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently in the middle of the cycle right now and was wondering if the following cumulatively are worth sending an update letter to medical schools:
-Updated spring quarter grades (were good, slightly improved GPA, graduated summa cum laude)
-Change in gap year plans (said that I was planning to do research, but instead am doing scribing & tutoring)
-Poster was presented at a national conference and received a category award (I myself did not present, but was a primary author of the abstract/poster)
-First-author paper currently in revision. Ideally I would wait until the paper potentially gets accepted, but I am very uncertain of how long that would take from this point.

All your help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am currently in the middle of the cycle right now and was wondering if the following cumulatively are worth sending an update letter to medical schools:
-Updated spring quarter grades (were good, slightly improved GPA, graduated summa cum laude)
-Change in gap year plans (said that I was planning to do research, but instead am doing scribing & tutoring)
-Poster was presented at a national conference and received a category award (I myself did not present, but was a primary author of the abstract/poster)
-First-author paper currently in revision. Ideally I would wait until the paper potentially gets accepted, but I am very uncertain of how long that would take from this point.

No.

1) your gpa is already good so no need to reiterate what's already apparent from your application.

2) Your gap uear plans are tentative and don't mean much as you haven't actually scribed or tutor yet. No real insights gained from the position.

3) You didn't present the poster and I'm assuming you probably already wrote about this research experience in your primary app so this update would be redundant.

4) Helpful to send update to schools about this but later when it's accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

Seriously, that’s screaming attention w-horing. Just wait patiently.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user