worth apping this cycle? non-traditional student.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmann88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there SDN!
I'm wondering if I should apply this AMCAS cycle. I know my application has serious issues, and that I likely will need to take a post-bac/SMP or something similar.Should I apply now given the glaring flaws in my record and the high monetary cost of applying. Thanks for your help!

backstory: I went to college right out of high school, did miserably (2.8 for my first three semesters, then managed to get straight Fs for the following two semesters, when I dropped out. Sufficed to say, I dug a deep hole there.
Five years later, I returned to school. I've been in school just over a year since my return - took 17 hrs spring 2012, 14 summer 2012, transferred to a better university, took 18 hrs fall 2012, and am enrolled in 18 hrs currently. All of my classes are science/math, except my foreign language class. Since being readmitted to school, I've had a 4.0. I've made every effort to make my courseload as difficult as possible, taking all upper-level science courses with lab components, with the exception of one foreign language class. I also work at a restaurant part-time, volunteer ~10 hrs/wk in the ER, and am seeking a research position for the summer.

THE NUMBERS:
-cumulative GPA: 2.92

-science GPA: 3.4

-GPA since I returned to school: 4.0, (49 hours in 11 months, 18 hours in progress)

-so far, 604 hours volunteering in the ER (all in past 14 months), ongoing at ~10hrs/week

-Shadowed a plastic surgeon 40 hrs over summer between semesters.

-Volunteered ~ 40 hours for habitat for humanity.

-Volunteered~120hrs for a Community care clinic, interviewing patients after their visits with the PA, compiling demographic and service utilization data for grant writing purposes.

-Worked full time during my time off school, managing two bars and a restaurant. Work roughly 10hrs/week (waiting tables) currently to keep a roof over my head.

MCAT score very, very high: 42 overall (15 verbal, 13 phy, 14 bio)

-Currently seeking a new shadowing experience.
-No research experience, seeking a position for the summer.

I'm aware that the beginning of my undergraduate career is abysmal, but I've worked - and continue to work - exceptionally hard trying to overcome that.

so, SDN, what are my chances? I know a lot of you will look at my GPA and immediately say I'll need a post-bac/special masters program. Even if this is your honest assessment, should I apply this AMCAS cycle anyways just to see? Will a super-high MCAT turn enough heads to get me an interview?

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi there SDN!
I'm wondering if I should apply this AMCAS cycle. I know my application has serious issues, and that I likely will need to take a post-bac/SMP or something similar. I'm going to medical school if it takes me a f&*king decade or three, the question is should I apply now given the glaring flaws in my record and the high monetary cost of applying. Thanks for your help!

backstory: I went to college right out of high school, did miserably (2.8 for my first three semesters, then managed to get straight Fs for the following two semesters, when I dropped out. Sufficed to say, I dug a deep hole there.
Five years later, I returned to school. I've been in school just over a year since my return - took 17 hrs spring 2012, 14 summer 2012, transferred to a better university, took 18 hrs fall 2012, and am enrolled in 18 hrs currently. All of my classes are science/math, except my foreign language class. Since being readmitted to school, I've had a 4.0. I've made every effort to make my courseload as difficult as possible, taking all upper-level science courses with lab components, with the exception of one foreign language class. I also work at a restaurant part-time, volunteer ~10 hrs/wk in the ER, and am seeking a research position for the summer.

THE NUMBERS:
-cumulative GPA: 2.92

-science GPA: 3.4

-GPA since I returned to school: 4.0, (49 hours in 11 months, 18 hours in progress)

-so far, 604 hours volunteering in the ER (all in past 14 months), ongoing at ~10hrs/week

-Shadowed a plastic/reconstructive surgeon 40 hrs over summer between semesters.

-Volunteered ~ 40 hours for habitat for humanity.

-Volunteered~120hrs for a Community care clinic, interviewing patients after their visits with the PA, compiling demographic and service utilization data for grant writing purposes.

-Worked full time during my time off school, managing two bars and a restaurant. Work roughly 10hrs/week (waiting tables) currently to keep a roof over my head.

My MCAT score is badassery incarnate: 42 overall (15 verbal, 13 phy, 14 bio)

-Currently seeking a new shadowing experience - too much free time, you know?
-No research experience, seeking a position for the summer.

I'm aware that the beginning of my undergraduate career is abysmal, but I've worked - and continue to work - exceptionally hard trying to overcome that.

so, SDN, what are my chances? I know a lot of you will look at my GPA and immediately say I'll need a post-bac/special masters program. Even if this is your honest assessment, should I apply this AMCAS cycle anyways just to see? Will a super-high MCAT turn enough heads to get me an interview?

Thanks all!
Your chances aren't great, but they are well above zero.

How many more classes would you need As in to get your cGPA past 3.0? This is a common computer auto cut-off, so getting past it is important for consideration at many schools. That said, there are some out there that will look at the whole application and give you a chance anyway. Here is an example of someone with stats similar to yours: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=544011

Alternatively, you might apply to your original college for a retroactive withdrawal, especially if you have some documentation of outside challenges during your worst semester.

Why was college #1 so dismal? And what has given you the fire in the belly to succeed at this point in your life?

Your chances aren't great, but they are well above zero.

How many more classes would you need As in to get your cGPA past 3.0? This is a common computer auto cut-off, so getting past it is important for consideration at many schools. That said, there are some out there that will look at the whole application and give you a chance anyway. Here is an example of someone with stats similar to yours: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=544011

Alternatively, you might apply to your original college for a retroactive withdrawal, especially if you have some documentation of outside challenges during your worst semester.

Why was college #1 so dismal? And what has given you the fire in the belly to succeed at this point in your life?

Honestly, college #1 was so dismal for hundreds of tiny reasons, which boil down to one essential truth: I was incredibly immature, and valued socializing and partying above attempting to better myself. I would party all night, sleep through classes, and satisfy the intellectual vacuum I had created for myself with the most cerebral content I could find on wikipedia.

As for the "fire in my belly", I treat that with protonix. :D

In all seriousness, I was tired of stagnating, I had always had a passion for science. Then my grandmother was diagnosed with lung cancer. She went from apparently healthy to dying in excruciating pain in under 30 days. I spent that time caring for her; I want nothing more in life than to help people like her, to ameliorate suffering, and to make progress towards a cure.

My cGPA will be above a 3.0 at the conclusion of this coming fall. If I take summer courses, I could potentially get it there. That said, financially, I'm tapped. I simply cannot afford summer coursework - and at the pace I'm going, I have very real concerns about potentially 'burning out'.

Which institutions lack the automatic cutoff at 3.0?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
With a 42 lots of doors open, you might still make md...but do should be very likely

unfortunately, from what I understand, a DO is not great for locum tenens/ practicing abroad. It is one of my many goals to take several years before I retire to practice in the third world. Though, if the legislators in this nation don't grow up, I might do that from home. :p

I have a number of DO colleagues who do locum tenems, so I would let that be a detriment. As for going overseas, cross that bridge when you get to it. First, get into medical school. The rising trend you have is a very good thing, and combined witht he stellar MCAT, MD is doable. But first, also get past the auto-cutoff.

unfortunately, from what I understand, a DO is not great for locum tenens/ practicing abroad. It is one of my many goals to take several years before I retire to practice in the third world. Though, if the legislators in this nation don't grow up, I might do that from home. :p

As you could see from the link I gave you, UConn is one of them. Rosaland Franklin in IL is said to be another. A Search through MDapps may give you more ideas.

Many thanks.