Worth applying: Anyone else feel this way?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of the school psych programs I'm looking at for next year as possible applications (good potential research fits) seem painfully competitive ( the most competitive ones accept 5-10 students out of 40-60 applicants; most seem to accept something like 7-10 out of 30). I'm a decent but not stellar candidate (decent 3.8-ish GPA, lots of research experience, local poster presentations [one of which I just found out I WON!:)], possibly some publications going out this summer, a lot of teaching experience for an undergrad, good clinical experience, some relevant volunteer stuff with children), and I'm wondering if it's really worth it to apply. It's not that I'm wavering on whether it's something I really want--it is--but those numbers are, well, daunting, and I'm wondering if I have a snowball's chance of getting in anywhere.

I wonder if this process is just one big experiment to provoke neurosis in all the applicants (and further that process along with internship apps)!:laugh: ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, those odds sound great to me coming from applying to clinical programs where there are 300+ apps for maybe 5-10 slots. 7-10 out of 30 is close to a 1 in 3 shot--most schools and jobs I know of have worse application odds than that. If you are well qualified (sounds like you are), are a good match and apply to a good range of programs, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

With all of your research experience, I would say that you stand a very good chance. And, yeah, I have to agree with cardamom that those odds are still better than at a clinical program (I think American University, for instance, took 7-8 this year out of 350 apps)

Members don't see this ad :)
it sounds like you're all good to me too! depending on your career interests, you could also apply to school psych masters/certification programs as a backup.

that's not even borderline bad odds... i was looking up some Clinical Psych program numbers... one school had 450+ applications for 7 spots.

Canadian schools typically see 90-150 applications for 4-10 spots. (Clinical)

Are you reluctant to apply because it's such a long strenuous process? I agree with all the other posters that you sound like a very competitive candidate-- don't sell yourself short in where you apply to-- aim HIGH and leave a safety or two on your list. Study hard for the GREs too.

Ditto what the others say... stay strong, don't count yourself out!

I know the numbers are better than clinical programs, but still, when you come down to it, even with 10 out of 30, that's still 20 left without a spot... I didn't apply to any competitive schools as undergraduate (I had excellent stats but was hunting for merit money), so I guess seeing a majority rejected is just a bit nerve-wrecking. Plus, I haven't received the most optimistic takes from some of the grad students and professors here, though I appreciate their honesty... While I may have a lot of research experience, I'm currently without publications and regional or better poster presentations, only having a couple of local ones (one of which I won, but still...). I've been told flat out by one professor that I need at least a regional poster presentation or publication to show that I'm a strong, focused applicant, and I don't have that. I can show that I'm a good research assistant, but can I show that I'm a good researcher?

It sounds like you are a competitive candidate. I'll echo what others have said: 30 applicants makes for great odds especially if you are as qualified as you seem. However, what program are you looking into specifically? I have never really heard of such a small pool of applicants. The smallest pool of applicants I've even seen was about 100.

Also- professors don't always know what they're talking about. It's good to have publications etc.. but you don't NEED them. I don't have a publication per se (I have a few in the works but none that are definite yet) and I still got in.

Also, here's another way to think about the situation that I didn't realize or think about until interview:
If they have fit/match requirements for you to begin the program (stating it in your personal statement), the numbers begin to get smaller on both accounts. If there are 5 professors at the program accepting students, they get 30 applications, and you only want one professor to be your adviser: you are really only competing with maybe 5 other people for your slot.

Also- you may want to apply to a wide range of programs. Some competitive, some that you think you might get into etc. You may surprise yourself. Not all of them require publications and I'm sure many of them would be happy to have an applicant like yourself. Just make sure the school is a good fit and it will work out better for you.

If you aren't going to apply just because you are afraid of the odds... perhaps it's not something that you really NEED to do with your life. I remember looking at those odds terrified, but no matter who discouraged me (i was straight from undergrad) i knew it was something that i NEEDED to do. I applied to about 10 places and got into the school that was the right fit for me. You'll never know until you try, and even if you don't get in-- it's great practice for next time. So don't let those numbers discourage you. If this is what you want... can you really see yourself happy doing anything else? Try, try again because in the end you'll regret it if you don't.

I know the numbers are better than clinical programs, but still, when you come down to it, even with 10 out of 30, that's still 20 left without a spot... I didn't apply to any competitive schools as undergraduate (I had excellent stats but was hunting for merit money), so I guess seeing a majority rejected is just a bit nerve-wrecking. Plus, I haven't received the most optimistic takes from some of the grad students and professors here, though I appreciate their honesty... While I may have a lot of research experience, I'm currently without publications and regional or better poster presentations, only having a couple of local ones (one of which I won, but still...). I've been told flat out by one professor that I need at least a regional poster presentation or publication to show that I'm a strong, focused applicant, and I don't have that. I can show that I'm a good research assistant, but can I show that I'm a good researcher?

I am starting to feel like I don't have a chance either. After I take the GREs and return to my home university, I will have to consult my adviser (likely one of my LOR writers) to see if I even have chance of getting into the schools I want.

From reading this board, I am having serious doubts about where I stack up and I'm only applying to PsyD programs!

I am starting to feel like I don't have a chance either. After I take the GREs and return to my home university, I will have to consult my adviser (likely one of my LOR writers) to see if I even have chance of getting into the schools I want.

From reading this board, I am having serious doubts about where I stack up and I'm only applying to PsyD programs!

I had the same feelings that you are describing, and I am sure that alot of other people here on the board feel/felt the same way too! You just have to believe in yourself and give 110%. If you don't get in straight out of undergrad (like myself) I would suggest looking into some RA positions or possibly getting a masters.

Last edited:
Yeah, I am strongly thinking about getting a masters that leads to licensure (in PA its allowed) and then practicing. I think this might makes since considering my main fault is my GPA.

I think what gets me about this process is just how Sisyphean it can feel.

I feel like I've done more or less everything I could to try to prepare myself, but I'm still coming up short). My current GPA is a 3.8 with a current 4.0 in both majors (taking the GRE in May). I have a paid RAship doing research related to what I want to study, lots of work in departmental labs, multiple independent honors theses, a clearly articulated research interest, and a couple of local poster presentations, including a poster that won the social studies division of our undergraduate research conference. I have clinical work that's incredibly clinical for an undergraduate and volunteer work related to children (though not a ton of it). I'll be doing a practicum next year that ties in well with my area of interest. I have or will have TA'ed for and independently taught multiple courses, both psych and non-psych, with very good to excellent evaluations.

Yet...

I have no major poster (regional or national) presentations and no current publications, though I'm working with a professor this summer who seems very interested in getting me published. I switched research interests my junior year, though I can tie the two areas together pretty well, and that may hurt me.

It seems like SDNers typically have publications and/or major poster presentations, and, well, I don't. It's funny, but in the email I sent out to my lab ground regarding my conference win (they helped me prep for my presentation), I straight-up acknowledged the fact that a local conference win doesn't mean much CV-wise (though winning still felt sort of awesome :) )

It sort of reminds of a conclusion I came to when writing my first prospectus... "A thesis is a great example of the balance between the ambition for perfection and the simple need for it to be DONE." Yet, I somehow feel that application process will be harsher than any committee....

Well, chalk one up for humility, I guess ;)

Eh, I only had one major poster presentation, two if you count an undergrad poster session, and zero publications.

I know how scary it seems, and I'm not gonna lie: your application year is most likely going to be an emotional turmoil-filled process. But it does eventually end, and hopefully with good results. Also, it starts to go relatively quickly once schools begin to send out interview invites.

Of course, I say this now that it's behind me; I might not have said it a few months ago when I was still drowning in anxiety. ;)

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that most SDNers have pubs/poster presentations prior to entering grad school. None of my incoming class had any pubs and only several had posters, although my program is definitely more on the balanced side.

Your credentials really make it seem like you are more suited for Clinical Psych programs rather than School Psych programs though. If you are applying solely to School Psych programs then you might be surprised at the number of offers you're going to get :)

yeah i dont know whether to take more courses to increase my marks (even though it will only help a bit) or just get more experience (which i think is ample). it's a real big toss up right now... b/c i can spend the summer in school and try to increase my cGPA and last like 2 years GPA or I can just do an individual project now and do that all summer.

however i think i decided to do some courses now, work, and volunteer at my positions. individual project in september (but basically start in august b/c need to formulate ideas/talk to prof).

hopefully I'll be done those by december and have more to show for this year's applications. so daunting though...

have to apply for scholarships too. :S

Your credentials really make it seem like you are more suited for Clinical Psych programs rather than School Psych programs though. If you are applying solely to School Psych programs then you might be surprised at the number of offers you're going to get :)
I hope you mean *pleasantly* surprised. ;) I was initially thinking about clinical/counseling programs but was having an extremely difficult time finding research matches (I searched extensively and could only find about 5)--it turns out almost all of the people who research this topic and work in an academic setting (not a medical school, etc.) are in School Psych. Plus, the more I investigate School Psych and its scope, the more I realize that School Psych programs can get me where I want to go professionally and academically quite well--if, of course, I can get in...

Plus, I haven't received the most optimistic takes from some of the grad students and professors here, though I appreciate their honesty...

Don't let them psych you out!! I had a (School Psych) PhD-level boss who told me "no one gets into clinical programs except the professor's children." Then I got into two top clinical programs and one top community program (without blood relation to any faculty members or any publications for that matter).

Some people have to tell themselves these things to explain why THEY weren't accepted...

For starts, you sound like a perfectly competitive applicant for a school psych PhD program. Yeah, the numbers are daunting. Be sure to apply to a decent number of programs (5-10) that you would be happy to attend. This hedges your bet and will probably earn you admission. Read the forums, find a couple of good advisors/mentors to talk with, and don't be afraid to ask a few questions of the faculty at programs you're interested in. Get some people on your team.

Even if you are not admitted, the sky will not fall (I had to apply a second year to get into a PhD program). I would highly recommend not becoming a member of the "wish I'da" club. Go for it!