Worth applying out of binding BS/MD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camnewton1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm currently enrolled in a 7 year BS/MD binding program at my lower tier state university. I've built up a pretty solid profile, and I'm seriously considering applying out of the program with the caveat that if I apply out I lose my guaranteed seat. I'd be applying during the upcoming cycle. I can totally see my self continuing in the program, but part of me wants to apply out and see whether I can end up with merit money or at a higher tier medical school (would like to eventually go into academic medicine).

My main concern is my EC's, I believe they're solid but not spectacular enough for Top 20 medical schools. Let me know what y'all think!*

Background: Traditional ORM, Enrolled at 7 year BS/MD program at state university.

GPA: cGPA: 4.00, sGPA: 4.00 (Biology major, humanities minor)

MCAT: 526 (132/131/131/132)

Clinical Experience:

Significant experience volunteering at free medical clinic for uninsured patients, a lot of leadership experience and direct patient contact at clinic (working closely with head physician, coordinating screening program) ~ 250 hours over 1+ year at time of application.

EMT Certified + Clinical Hours during course ~ 50 hours at ER department and OB/GYN floor.

Research:

Very significant research experience at basic/translational research lab. Received numerous institutional research grants, two poster presentations (one award for presentation), possible publications (most likely won't be accepted by time of application). Essentially treated like a grad student in this lab. Will lead to strong LOR. ~1500 hours.

Public health research, manuscript under review ~ 300 hours.

Shadowing:

~100 hours shadowing dermatologist, general surgery, internal medicine, ER, OB/GYN.

Volunteering:

~150 hours at underserved high school student after school program.

~50 hours miscellaneous events as service leader on campus

Non-clinical experience:

~1500 hours in a significant leadership position (Resident Assistant) in residence halls. Worked a lot with diverse student body.

~200 hours as executive board member for service organization .

Awards:

Several internal research grants, Numerous institutional awards/scholarships for service/leadership.

LOR:

Should have 5 letters from people who know me well

School List:

University of Chicago
WUSTL
Michigan
Vanderbilt
CCLCM
UCSF
UCLA
Stanford
Hopkins
Cornell
Columbia
Mayo
UPenn
Duke
Harvard
Yale
Northwestern
NYU
UPitt
Baylor
CWRU
2 in-state schools

*Some info altered to preserve anonymity.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, it's absolutely worth applying out of the program. Fantastic job on the MCAT! That being said, your school list right now is very top heavy. You're probably golden but want to play it safe anyway. Are there any in-state schools or mid-tiers that appeal to you?

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah! So I'd be applying to both in-state schools, one of which is the current program I'm in, the other which is a lower/mid-tier medical school. As far as other mid-tiers, I'd possibly apply to Jefferson, Rochester, BU, and Einstein.

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be a lame approach, but given your stats, you'd be competitive for any school. There are a handful of mid/low tier schools that have zero secondary essays. Applying would cost you nothing more than the time it takes to identify those schools and their secondary application fee. Could be a nice safety net.

Admissions to top schools are a crapshoot for anyone but your record is surely solid enough to earn a spot with likes of WUSTL or NYU, assuming you project a modicum of affability and humility.

Reactions: 1 user
Your extracurriculars are extremely weak. You need to get off campus and out of your comfort zone. You need a lot more clinical experience and shadowing. Your stats are Wash U caliber.
That's true; his stats might carry him or cause this to be forgiven at a place like WashU; his MCAT is 90th percentile even there and his GPA is perfect, plus he's got good research. A few hundred hours of volunteering in a hospice and he might be a competitive applicant for any school in the country.

Reactions: 1 user
Your extracurriculars are extremely weak. You need to get off campus and out of your comfort zone. You need a lot more clinical experience and shadowing. Your stats are Wash U caliber.
Thank's for the feedback! I'm not sure if this really came across in post, but all of the volunteering and clinical experience (400 hours + and increasing) comes from underprivileged/disadvantaged areas in a large urban city outside campus. Also working in the residence halls in a pretty significant leadership position with a diverse student population for ~1500 hours with awards in addition to all the research and am continuing to volunteer at the clinic I've been at working directly with patients. I'm not really sure if that counts as extremely weak EC's, although I do humbly accept your feedback (I apologize if this comes off as cocky-I don't know how to phrase it and do not wish to start an argument).

In addition, do you really think I need more shadowing experience? I've been lead to believe that a few dozen hours across numerous specialties should be sufficient. I'm already at around 100 hours.

Thank's for the feedback! I'm not sure if this really came across in post, but all of the volunteering and clinical experience (400 hours + and increasing) comes from underprivileged/disadvantaged areas in a large urban city outside campus. Also working in the residence halls in a pretty significant leadership position with a diverse student population for ~1500 hours with awards in addition to all the research and am continuing to volunteer at the clinic I've been at working directly with patients. I'm not really sure if that counts as extremely weak EC's, although I do humbly accept your feedback (I apologize if this comes off as cocky-I don't know how to phrase it and do not wish to start an argument).

In addition, do you really think I need more shadowing experience? I've been lead to believe that a few dozen hours across numerous specialties should be sufficient. I'm already at around 100 hours.
It looks like that you're good to go

Hello everyone,

I'm currently enrolled in a 7 year BS/MD binding program at my lower tier state university. I've built up a pretty solid profile, and I'm seriously considering applying out of the program with the caveat that if I apply out I lose my guaranteed seat. I'd be applying during the upcoming cycle. I can totally see my self continuing in the program, but part of me wants to apply out and see whether I can end up with merit money or at a higher tier medical school (would like to eventually go into academic medicine).

My main concern is my EC's, I believe they're solid but not spectacular enough for Top 20 medical schools. Let me know what y'all think!*

Background: Traditional ORM, Enrolled at 7 year BS/MD program at state university.

GPA: cGPA: 4.00, sGPA: 4.00 (Biology major, humanities minor)

MCAT: 526 (132/131/131/132)

Clinical Experience:

Significant experience volunteering at free medical clinic for uninsured patients, a lot of leadership experience and direct patient contact at clinic (working closely with head physician, coordinating screening program) ~ 250 hours over 1+ year at time of application.

EMT Certified + Clinical Hours during course ~ 50 hours at ER department and OB/GYN floor.

Research:

Very significant research experience at basic/translational research lab. Received numerous institutional research grants, two poster presentations (one award for presentation), possible publications (most likely won't be accepted by time of application). Essentially treated like a grad student in this lab. Will lead to strong LOR. ~1500 hours.

Public health research, manuscript under review ~ 300 hours.

Shadowing:

~100 hours shadowing dermatologist, general surgery, internal medicine, ER, OB/GYN.

Volunteering:

~150 hours at underserved high school student after school program.

~50 hours miscellaneous events as service leader on campus

Non-clinical experience:

~1500 hours in a significant leadership position (Resident Assistant) in residence halls. Worked a lot with diverse student body.

~200 hours as executive board member for service organization .

Awards:

Several internal research grants, Numerous institutional awards/scholarships for service/leadership.

LOR:

Should have 5 letters from people who know me well

School List:

University of Chicago
WUSTL
Michigan
Vanderbilt
CCLCM
UCSF
UCLA
Stanford
Hopkins
Cornell
Columbia
Mayo
UPenn
Duke
Harvard
Yale
Northwestern
NYU
UPitt
Baylor
CWRU
2 in-state schools

*Some info altered to preserve anonymity.
Add Emory, Mt Sinai !!!