Worth applying to REU sites if I'm committed to a lab? (undergrad)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gohogwild

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, pretty much title. I see around here sometimes that the general vibe is "if the NSF is willing to throw money at you, then you got a good shot of getting into grad school", but... I'm working in a lab and they'd like me to stay for the summer. I assume the moves is to just stay with the lab? Thought I would bounce this off SDN. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It sorta depends. In general, staying in the lab seems better if the money and opportunities equal out. Are there opportunities to be on research products as a result? I would assume yes if they are willing to put money into you.

Reactions: 1 users
Speaking from personal experience, my lab was really happy for me to get an REU despite wanting me to work there through the summer, as it was really beneficial for both my professional development and looks great on a CV when applying to grad school. Also provides connections in other places. But it was a smaller lab with an emphasis on the growth of students. YMMV.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking from personal experience, my lab was really happy for me to get an REU despite wanting me to work there through the summer, as it was really beneficial for both my professional development and looks great on a CV when applying to grad school. Also provides connections in other places. But it was a smaller lab with an emphasis on the growth of students. YMMV
Interesting, yes, the connections are key. I'm just going to gather more info. Thank you!

It sorta depends. In general, staying in the lab seems better if the money and opportunities equal out. Are there opportunities to be on research products as a result? I would assume yes if they are willing to put money into you.
All makes sense! Unfortunately, I do not get paid at the lab and when I was brought aboard I was told both "you'll be doing what our undergrads do" and "if you make a considerable contribution, you will be put on a paper". Our lab has one (very stressed) masters student, and many of the undergrads are graduating soon. So I'm thinking there may be more oppurtunity there? I'm really not so sure & I get friendly but scary vibes from the PI lol

All makes sense! Unfortunately, I do not get paid at the lab and when I was brought aboard I was told both "you'll be doing what our undergrads do" and "if you make a considerable contribution, you will be put on a paper". Our lab has one (very stressed) masters student, and many of the undergrads are graduating soon. So I'm thinking there may be more oppurtunity there? I'm really not so sure & I get friendly but scary vibes from the PI lol
Whoa, if you're not getting paid for the lab, I would definitely try for an REU.

Whoa, if you're not getting paid for the lab, I would definitely try for an REU.
DING.

As a result of REU, one of my undergrad lab members has a paper under review and posters. And they were also paid. Do this. Any reasonable lab mentor will see this opportunity and direct you towards it.

Reactions: 2 users
DING.

As a result of REU, one of my undergrad lab members has a paper under review and posters. And they were also paid. Do this. Any reasonable lab mentor will see this opportunity and direct you towards it.
Thank you. I will!

Reactions: 1 user
DING.

Second this. As an undergrad, I had an unpaid summer research position lined up but was later offered a paid one at a different university. I felt bad for bailing on the first professor, but he said "take the paid position! No worries!"