Quantcast

Worth Buying Harrison's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toohotinvegas33

Currently Glasgow 3
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
We get it online for free, so alot of people end up buying Cecils

Taus

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see no reason to buy it if you can access it online for free. If you really want a section on paper just print it out when at school....the weight of the book doesn't make it so much fun to carry around with you anyway. IMO you should save the major textbook buying for residency.

Robz

La Vie Boheme
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I bought a harrisons 2nd year.

I think I have read about 3-5 different things out of it since. So, i have to say save your money and go with other sources. A lot of places have up to date that is mondo helpful.

jonb12997

I'm a doctor!!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna go the opposite and say it was definitely worth buying. I like reading out of textbooks though. I used it a lot this year to read on different disease that my patients had. I definitely think it's worth it. Also, buy yourself the two volume edition! If you can, sign up for a border's rewards card, they occationally send you 25% off any one item. I bought Nelson's pediatrics that way and saved a ton!

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The real question is: will you have time to read it?

It's a good book, but obviously quite dense, even for a reference source. I did use it a fair amount second year, but still found myself more likely to first look for a more concise source like Lange Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment or even a review article from NEJM (both of which you can probably print on campus).

In terms of importance to Step 1, your time would probably be better spent reading Path than Harrison's.

nvshelat

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For clinical info, I would use UptoDate, since it's well... up to date...

But I do like Harrison's as well... if you want, buy a cheap laser printer... i got my samsung for 65 bucks from staples after rebate... then for refills, there are some cheap online sites where you buy refill for toner for like 3.50... this can save you a LOT of money if you like reading texts that are otherwise avail online (I like paper)

JayneCobb

big damn hero....
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For clinical info, I would use UptoDate, since it's well... up to date...

But I do like Harrison's as well... if you want, buy a cheap laser printer... i got my samsung for 65 bucks from staples after rebate... then for refills, there are some cheap online sites where you buy refill for toner for like 3.50... this can save you a LOT of money if you like reading texts that are otherwise avail online (I like paper)

Keep in mind, that AccessMedicine does not print the same font or margins as the text book, and 40 pages typically becomes 150 when you print them out. And most subscriptions limit how many copies of Harrison's can be printed out, so they may not like everyone printing their own copy of harrison's out.

If you think you'll read it, buy it. The new edition is great. I read about half of the 16th edition while I was a 3rd/4th year and learned a lot from it.

My personal preference is I dislike UpToDate as it leaves me with more questions than answers typically. I read harrison's for a base foundation and then will use other texts like Fishman's Pulm or Huerst's heart for more in depth info. But if I'm looking for a particular topic, I go to NEJM or Chest or other journals to find a review article.

group_theory

EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wait until residency to get Harrison - then you can use your book money/CME to get the book. It will be helpful during IM residency.

For medical students - there are many resources available that I would hold off on getting Harrison (and using your own money). For the occasional look-up, it's free online as other have pointed out. Then there's Cecil's, uptodate, journal review articles, Step review books, etc.

GreenShirt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's a good reference: Concise but dense. We read from it a little in MS-I, scary at first but good. If you're ok w/ online reading then you should save yourself the money for now. You'll most likely end up using wiki or e-med anyway.

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wait until residency. We got ours for free during orientation. We also got Cecil's.

I would highly recommend using UpToDate as a med student and skipping harrison's if you have to pay for something. Almost every doc I have ever worked with uses UpToDate......

Eudjinn

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a harrison's 14th edition that I got for free. Is that going to be at all useful?

D

deleted6669

going into IM: harrisons
any other field: cecils( a lot less bs.....)