Worth including 9 hours of volunteering AMCAS?

SpanishMusical

2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi all,

This semester, I started volunteering at a Hospice center for 1.5 hours a week. In total, I was able to do 6 weeks of this before COVID shut everything down, for a total of 9 hours. Is this even worth including on my application? I really did enjoy the brief time I was at the hospice center and working with the residents, but I already have 12 other much more substantial activities (time-wise) and don't want to look like I'm just trying to fill out all 15 boxes or waste admissions officers' time.

Also, another question: I was on a team for a case competition that ended up winning. I currently have this listed as honors/awards (since we won), but I did take on a leader-like role within the team (albeit without a title). Should I list this leadership (I currently have none), or is awards/honors correct? The description I've included is below:

• During this day-long on-campus competition, I learned to use XXX software to create surveys and worked with a team to implement a solution to a business problem and present it to a panel of judges. In addition to learning this software, this experience allowed me to practice working in a team, including delegating tasks to match group members' abilities, mediating between conflicting viewpoints, and working to resolve problems under timed pressure. Furthermore, given the fast-paced nature of the competition, I practiced thinking on my feet and learning quickly to deliver a quality solution to the task provided.

Thoughts @Goro, @gonnif, or @LizzyM ?

Thanks everyone.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.