Worth it? Quadruple degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Showtime14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
asdasdasd

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
Is it worth it staying an additional year (fifth year) if it means that you can complete a quadruple degree? I am looking at degrees in Spanish, Microbio, Biophysics and Philosophy. I have completed honors programs for Spanish and Biophysics. I am almost done with philosophy and microbio, but it would require two more semesters. Is it worth it? The effect on my GPA would be marginal; it would raise my AMCAS from a high 3.8 to a low 3.9. Opinions?

Worth it to getting into med school? No.

For personal satisfaction or bragging rights? well that depends on how much you get off on telling people you have 4 degrees as well as if your getting that 5th year free.

If you don't care about spending more money on tuition and wasting a year of your life getting degrees you probably do anything with then sure.

To me, I would like to enjoy life a little so if I am eligible to go to Med school, I will not waste my time pursuing other things when my main goal is to be a physician. Becoming a physician is a large chunk of your time spent in education already. If it were to make you truly happy to have those degrees then go for it. Other than that I would consider it a waste of time and money.

Members don't see this ad :)
For med school, probably not. Save your money.

If you're doing it for your own benefit because you really enjoy the subjects and/or want bragging rights: go for it.

Worth it to getting into med school? No.

For personal satisfaction or bragging rights? well that depends on how much you get off on telling people you have 4 degrees as well as if your getting that 5th year free.

I have a full ride for the rest of my years here, so thankfully finances aren't in a pinch. I plan on applying after graduating, and I am pursuing a Fullbright in my year off. Good plan?

Just to clarify, quadruple major and quadruple degrees are different things.

For example, a double major would be like majoring in both Bio and psychology within the College of Arts&Sciences/Letters&Sciences/whatever

double degree is getting a B.A. from CAS and a B.S. from College of Engineering

IMO quadruple major's not a very good idea....even a triple major's overkill

i can't find the thread, but there was one that addressed this issue not too long ago, in which I believe it was an admissions director quoted as saying that adcoms couldn't care less about how many majors you completed.

I have a full ride for the rest of my years here, so thankfully finances aren't in a pinch. I plan on applying after graduating, and I am pursuing a Fullbright in my year off. Good plan?

this is a good idea. graduate this spring and move on with your life.

You're kidding, right. Four degrees? You do realize undergrad degrees mean nothing once you start a professional degree.

Hey everyone,
Is it worth it staying an additional year (fifth year) if it means that you can complete a quadruple degree? I am looking at degrees in Spanish, Microbio, Biophysics and Philosophy. I have completed honors programs for Spanish and Biophysics. I am almost done with philosophy and microbio, but it would require two more semesters. Is it worth it? The effect on my GPA would be marginal; it would raise my AMCAS from a high 3.8 to a low 3.9. Opinions?

why stop there? just keep taking classes until you complete your degree in The Course Catalogue.

I saw this thread and I chuckled out loud. Thanks for the amusement during my studying.

Since you have it paid for, I'd ask yourself, how much are you enjoying college? Will most of your friends be leaving this year? While it won't help you with admissions most likely, it is definitely a major personal accomplishment. So I'd ask yourself, are you in a hurry to move on? You have the rest of your life to be a doctor, only another year to really devote to philosophy

I doubt a med school will be like oh this student only has three majors, if he had four we would definitely accept him.
Also its not like your getting four masters degrees or doctorates. Its just majors in undergrad you will still only get one Bachelors degree.

So your gonna take another year of classes then take another year off for the fullbright?

Id say the return will be low. Unless your really enjoying college life (which to be getting four degrees i cant see this really happening), just graduate do the fullbright and apply in that same year.

On the flip side, friend of mine did a 5th, which was free for him, and he enjoyed it quite a bit, but i think he was only taking a few classes.

+1 for what I'm hoping is asking a never before asked question.
-1000 for said question.
-5 for possible troll.
+10 for making me lol.

More=/=better. Repeat: more=/=better.

+1 for what I'm hoping is asking a never before asked question.
-1000 for said question.
-5 for possible troll.
+10 for making me lol.

More=/=better. Repeat: more=/=better.
+100 for lulz delivered.