Worth it to buy TBR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nerdeka

Female
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
a few years back I bought the complete set except verbal. I got into a car accident and between my old car in junk yard to rental to new car lost the two organic chemistry and one general chemistry books. Weirdly, I think they fell onto the road when I didn’t notice my rental trunk open.

Would it be worth it to repurchase OC1/2 considering how little it’s on the new MCAT? I am weakest in their subject and am studying over a long span of time due to work.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't stress too much about OC1/2. TBR goes into an incredible amount of detail. The C/P section will only have about 10% OC, which is roughly 6 questions. I don't think it would be worth your time to invest hours in low yield pathways like a Gabriel synthesis, etc. I focused on the highest yield OC topics that made their way onto most practice exams: stereochemistry, functional groups, SN1/SN2 reactions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I had about 10 to 12 organic chemistry questions on my exam. TBR does a great job getting you ready for all sorts of questions, so it's well worth the investment.

It's worth it. While there isn't a ton of O chem on the new MCAT you still cant afford to get a significant amount of them wrong or else you'll really put yourself behind the eight ball on the chem/phys section, which is hard enough to begin with.

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish when it comes to MCAT prep.. you will tank yourself when you get into a good school or dont have to take the MCAT twice. Good luck.