worth it to buy the cbt exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lala83

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i took the mcat last august (the last paper version), and i'm retaking it on april 16. i have all the aamc paper version tests, so do you think it's worth it to buy the cbt tests also? has anyone been in this situation and seen an advantage to buying the computerized tests?

i know we get one test for free, but just wanted to know how much more it helped. also, once you purchase a test online, do you have almost immediate access? (wanted to know just in case i do decide to buy the tests and i'm at the 3 week marker now!)

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

they are the same exact tests, just shortened. The only problem is, it would be hard to guage your performance unless you know how they shortened it and what their score conversion chart is to the cbt format.

i'd say maybe just buy the last 3 cbts and practice with those on computer and do the paper format ones for practice (just do the whole thing, so u know where ur score stands) the aamc says there is no significant difference in individuals' scores from paper format to cbt.

Yes, yes, and yes. Totally, completely worth it.

If there is one thing you do from now till you take the test, buy the cbts and take them as if they were the real thing.

thanks for the advice! i went to go purchase them, but it's asking me for a shipping address too...so do they send a cd with the practice tests on them in the mail? i assumed you got a password and could take them online. how many days did it take for them to come in?

Members don't see this ad :)
taking practice tests was the most useful prep. i did. Look on ebay, you might be able to find them there for much cheaper.

they are the same exact tests, just shortened. The only problem is, it would be hard to guage your performance unless you know how they shortened it and what their score conversion chart is to the cbt format.

i'd say maybe just buy the last 3 cbts and practice with those on computer and do the paper format ones for practice (just do the whole thing, so u know where ur score stands) the aamc says there is no significant difference in individuals' scores from paper format to cbt.

Anychance anyone has the score conversion charts for the new paper formats? I also have the old ones (except tests 9 and 10) and do not want to purchase the CBT tests.

Also, anyone have any ideas how I should do the AAMC test because I have the old ones? Just randomly take out some passages for each section?

um . . . how about just doing the whole thing? Seeing more types of questions can't possibly hurt you!