Worth it to do audition rotations at allopathic programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qqw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there.
I'm currently a 3rd year osteopathic med student. I've heard audition rotations are valued in the DO world, and not as much in the MD world.

My top program (because of location) for FM is allopathic. Is it worth it to do an audition rotation there?? Or should I just reserve my 3-4 audition months for Osteopathic programs only?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have the chance to rotate at your top program, I definitely recommend you do so. They will get to know you and vice versa. Auditions do matter at some programs and if location is important to you, always best if you have the chance to try them out and see if you fit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
OP the issue is more of does this FM program ever take DO grads into their residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely you should rotate there. A good rotation will make you stand out from the pile of candidates that they couldn't even recognize.

Hell, even if it didn't improve your chances there at all (which is unlikely) you should still do it to see if the program is as great as you think it is. Some stuff really only comes to the surface when you are slogging through a tough clinic day with the residents and the attending is nowhere to be found or the shiny new hospital that impressed everyone on the tour actually has such a strong nurses union that the interns start all IV's on the floor. Or the food is so bad you couldn't stand it for lunch every day for 3 years.

At one allopathic program I rotated, a PD told me it's hard to get to know an applicant in one day interview when everyone has their game face on.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Since family medicine isn't as competitive, I would absolutely rotate at any allopathic programs that you're interested in applying (and feel as though you have a decent chance at interviewing/matching.)

I think the advice to only rotate at osteopathic programs comes for more competitve specialties such as ortho and even ob/gyn when you're most likely going to match aoa, so you should put most of your effort in to rotating at aoa programs for those specialties.

It's great to rotate at programs so you can see what the day in and day out is like and how the residents get along.