Worth it to get PTCB certified while in Pharmacy School?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by tbadger, Jun 17, 2008.

1. tbadger

Pharmacy Student
    Hi all,

I currently work at Walgreens as a Pharmacy Technician and I start Pharmacy School this fall. Does anyone know if it is worth it to get certified even though I have been accepted into Pharmacy School?

I know that in Wisconsin as in most states, there is a pay scale depending on what year of Pharmacy School you are in but I'm not sure if that scale is any different if you are PTCB certified.

Also, in Wisconsin you are not considered a Pharmacy intern until after P2 when you can start counseling patients. Is it the same for those of you working in other states?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. collegegirl247

collegegirl247 Accepted Pharmacy Student

Pharmacy Student
    I start pharmacy school this fall- so for me the intern rate started the "summer" before school starts...you should check

I am ptcb certified as well and they just give you the best of the two rates- which is the intern rate

4. mrblah

Pharmacy Student
    not worth getting the ptcb tech license if you become a intern.

5. lwang81

Pharmacy Student
    that's interesting. for most states you can start apply for your intern license once you get accepted to school. some schools even make you get your intern license before school starts. ptcb isn't that bad though. i took the test without the class and for the most part, i think you'll be fine without the class if you were able to survive the prereqs and get accepted to a pharmacy school.

6. RxWildcat

RxWildcat Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
    Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    No, you are an intern so why would you want a tech cert? Usually intern pay is more than tech pay anyways.

7. Gizmo

Gizmo ?

Pharmacist
    Not worth it.

8. magenta1

Pharmacy Student
    I work at Giant and they are going to pay the pharmacy students the highest tech wage WHEN school starts (unfortunately not the summer before)

9. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    Sounds like a question you'd be better off asking your employer. They can tell you how the pay increase works, whether or not they pay for PTCB certification, etc. If they pay for the certification and it'll take you a year to get the intern license, then it may be worth it if there's a pay increase involved and the number of hours you work times the pay differential is greater than what you pay out of pocket for the PTCE. If you pay nothing out of pocket because your employer covers it, then why not do it for the pay increase. It's a super simple test anyway.