Worth it to go to an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1437

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be having a year off, and am wondering what to do in order to build up my application. My undergrad GPA's a bit lower (a little over 3.3), and I'm taking the MCAT soon, while applying this cycle.

I know the deadline for the Georgetown SMP just passed, so I can't do that...What are some other good SMP's out there? Is it worth it? Should I do something else?

Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

With a 3.3 I think your best would be to just take another year and get your gpa up and or kill the mcat. A SMP especially the Gtown one is expensive and time wasting.
Either way, there are a plethora of things you should consider prior to doing a SMP. It's the last attempt one can do to get into medical school.

I've also heard of some people doing AmeriCorps...Would that be worth considering? I've been looking into it, and it definitely sounds interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA should be okay without an SMP, provided that you have a strong MCAT and strong ECs.

You could probably increase your GPA to a 3.4 if you got a 4.0 this semester. That's what I had and I got into med school. Kill the MCAT (get a 36+), apply early, apply to many schools (30+), and apply all over the US. Be prepared to get interviews later and be accepted later in the application season than other applicants. If you get waitlisted, be proactive: send letters of interest/intent and updates to schools you interviewed.

In your year off, do something interesting that you enjoy and that you can also talk about during interviews. You will also need to explain why your GPA is so low (easier if you have a strong upward trend). Americorps sounds fun - you are giving back to communities in need. :) You could probably also do research or work as an EMT. Either way, make your ECs look good.

Don't do a SMP. As long as you score in the upper 20's, you'll be a strong candidate at DO schools, and that's really all you need. SMP's are last-ditch attempts at getting admitted to a U.S. school, and a 3.3 is far from the desperation level.

Movinf to WAMC.