wholeheartedly

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2009
Beyond the Wall
that's a whole lot of money and while textbooks are expensive a lot are available in digital copies.

About the Ads

mistafab

2+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Yeah - the way they get you isn't books. It is the subscription services like pathoma, sketchy, uworld, and usmlerx that cost money.

Reactions: Osteoth

DBV

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2017
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Aside from FA and Costanza I don't know that I read any books in pre-clinical years. Thats <100 bucks. In clinicals you will likely find used or digital copies of blueprints or pretest but even if you bought all of them you wouldnt spend 16 hundo

DNC127

Im just here so I don't get fined.
2+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2015
The Mountains
Status
Medical Student
Change "invest" to "waste" and it will be a more accurate question.

Reactions: mistafab

Womb Raider

5+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Absolutely not.

Raryn

Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
I bought a handful of the question books as an M3, but even then if you have a decent sized group of friends, you can borrow each others books as you go through the various rotations.

Terry Toma

2+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I'm pretty sure that if you hired somebody to literally sit down and scan your books one page at a time on a standard scanner, it would cost you way less than $1600 (not that I would recommend doing so).

About the Ads

Robotfishbrain

2+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2015
Status
Medical Student
If you ask your classmates I'm sure there are digital copies floating around that you're not aware of. There's literally no reason to do this.

TheFutureFatMan

Faking it till I'm making it
2+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Is it worth it for a medical student to invest in a $1,600 book scanner? How much do all medical books cost and how much would a medical student save by using a book scanner?

Archivist Quill Book Scanner (Complete Kit)
no?

That's actually insane.

First of all, you won't read that much. The stuff you will read, you can find digital versions of using something like Vital Source. If 1600 is your ceiling, that gives you a LOT of wiggle room in books. Save your money for board prep second year.

OP
A
Aug 6, 2017
that's a whole lot of money and while textbooks are expensive a lot are available in digital copies.
Or more accurately you pay for it with your tuition
So you automatically pay for your books when you pay your tuition or are they something you buy separately? Can I choose not to pay for any books they have me buy in medical school if I get them from other sources?

trs88

5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2013
TN or Texas
Status
Medical Student
So you automatically pay for your books when you pay your tuition or are they something you buy separately? Can I choose not to pay for any books they have me buy in medical school if I get them from other sources?
They will give you a book list. Some textbooks on that list will say required and others say recommended. Ask your upperclassmen if you have to have certain textbooks or if they never used any. Depending on their answer, you can choose from a few options: buy the book from them if required, ask for a copy of the ebook, check your school library for a copy of the book - my school library will let us download some textbooks, or buy from amazon or ebay. Or do none of the above.

NonTrad16

2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
It's like undergrad -- the library is paying for access to books/journals whether you use them or not. You cannot opt out, just like you can't for activity fees and/or whatever else the charge. You can just choose not to buy "required" or "recommended" texts/equipment (based on what your school allows/upper years suggest). I only bought a stethoscope from the list of books/equipment that is required/recommended (which included many more).

Reactions: NotYou20

Save a life

5+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Don't do it. You likely won't use most of your textbooks, you'll only have time to review lectures.

LyMed

2+ Year Member
May 4, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Also, never forget about your library. Free stuff is always the best

Reactions: Faefly

Ismet

PGY-almost done!
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As others have said, no. The only books I used in the pre-clinical years (apart from board study books like First Aid and Pathoma) were Netter's Atlas and Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple. I had 1-2 books per clinical rotation to study from. All of my books I got from upperclassmen from anywhere from free to $15. Sold all my books to underclassmen before graduation, pretty much recouping that money (again aside from boards books which I bought new).

About the Ads