General Admissions & OTCAS Worth it to join honor societies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebiggestsky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't get invited to honor societies while in undergrad since I was a hugely mediocre English Lit student. But since taking pre-reqs for OT school (through CC) I've been invited to a couple. Last semester I basically ignored the emails, but I'm wondering if I should reconsider. Do you think it's given you any advantage in applying to graduate programs? Are you listing them on your applications? Or do you suspect that admissions offices don't really care?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think admissions care that much if you belonged to honor societies while in college. I believe that admissions care more about GPA (prerequisite and cumulative) and observation/shadowing hours. But I don't think belonging to honor societies will hurt your application at all! Just make sure that it won't take up too much of your time because your main focus should be doing well on all of ur prereqs.

Reactions: 1 user
I was asked to join a handful while I was in undergrad. Some of them you had to pay for and those ones I refused to join (National Society of Student Leadership and Psi Chi). There were others that I was made a member for free (like Chi Alpha Sigma, for athletes). I never found it worthwhile to pay to join, especially because 80% of my college was asked to join the NSSL. So just be smart about what you join and what money you spend.

Reactions: 1 user