Worth it to still pursue pharmacy with criminal record?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

botaee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was convicted of electronic harassment, a class b misdemeanor, a couple months ago. I emailed pharmacy schools anonymously and most said it wouldn't disqualify me from getting accepted but I might have trouble getting rotations at zero-tolerance places. Also I'm not sure how employers will view it. My state allows almost no convictions to be expunged. I can get it sealed in a few years at best.

Members don't see this ad.

Your biggest challenge will likely be getting licensed (intern and RPh) through state boards. Most have integrity clauses. You might want to contact state BOPs where you plan to initially work and get their opinions. I doubt it will be impossible by any means, but there could be some setbacks for you. Sealed or not, you'll have to disclose.

Also consider, many employers do background checks. Class B misdemeanors could affect future employment.

Reactions: 2 users
How did you get electronic harassment? Did they give you a warning first?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you get electronic harassment? Did they give you a warning first?

You Rick-Rolled somebody didn't you? You monster.

ImageUploadedBySDN1494527112.196352.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Your biggest challenge will likely be getting licensed (intern and RPh) through state boards. Most have integrity clauses. You might want to contact state BOPs where you plan to initially work and get their opinions. I doubt it will be impossible by any means, but there could be some setbacks for you. Sealed or not, you'll have to disclose.

Also consider, many employers do background checks. Class B misdemeanors could affect future employment.

Great advice. I am currently working with the state BOP because I have a misdemeanor. Long story short it is a case by case situation. If it was a felony the answer is NO Way are you getting a license in California but misdemeanor requires full disclosure. I am confident that since mine was over 5 years ago and I have not been in trouble since, it is no drug related, that it will be alright. If they say no there is an appeals process where you can submit character references that speaks volumes.

I have a feeling it will vary a lot state by state - I know people with mj convictions prior to pharmacy school that had zero trouble getting license.

It's not worth it to pursue pharmacy without a criminal record. Let alone with one.

Reactions: 1 user
Great advice. I am currently working with the state BOP because I have a misdemeanor. Long story short it is a case by case situation. If it was a felony the answer is NO Way are you getting a license in California but misdemeanor requires full disclosure. I am confident that since mine was over 5 years ago and I have not been in trouble since, it is no drug related, that it will be alright. If they say no there is an appeals process where you can submit character references that speaks volumes.

What was the misdemeanor? DUI?

In FL you can't have a criminal record and any healthcare professional license, but as long as you can get your record sealed or expunged you can get licensed no problem.