worth it to switch from pharm to psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doreenw87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently doing my pre-professional pharmacy years at a community college (long term debt reduction). I've been hung up on pharmacy because of the financial security it would provide. However, I am struggling with the math requirements. Combine that with a disability that makes it hard to take more than 12 credits at a time, my pre-professional years seem to be stretching from 3 to 6 years.

I'm not fully familiar with all the degree and career options in psychology, yet. However, I do have an interest in becoming a therapist/counselor (marriage, drug addiction or school). I don't have an interest in the research side of the house.

I'm also considering physical therapy and am searching for another health field that doesn't require say... calculus based physics.

Is it worth it to switch to psychology? I've read that the job outlook is very competitive and to stay competitive, you basically have to get a PhD.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently doing my pre-professional pharmacy years at a community college (long term debt reduction). I've been hung up on pharmacy because of the financial security it would provide. However, I am struggling with the math requirements. Combine that with a disability that makes it hard to take more than 12 credits at a time, my pre-professional years seem to be stretching from 3 to 6 years.

I'm not fully familiar with all the degree and career options in psychology, yet. However, I do have an interest in becoming a therapist/counselor (marriage, drug addiction or school). I don't have an interest in the research side of the house.

I'm also considering physical therapy and am searching for another health field that doesn't require say... calculus based physics.

Is it worth it to switch to psychology? I've read that the job outlook is very competitive and to stay competitive, you basically have to get a PhD.

If all you want to do is therapy, I would recommend a MSW or MFT, with a specialization in sub abuse (if thats what your interested in.) Ph.D in clinical would be overkill if this is your career goal.

If all you want to do is therapy, I would recommend a MSW or MFT, with a specialization in sub abuse (if thats what your interested in.) Ph.D in clinical would be overkill if this is your career goal.

I agree completely. Doctoral training is great and all....but there is a lot of other things that a person needs to do before they can come out the other side and have a practice.