Worth it to take a sociology class for MCAT 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neighborr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or is this something that can be learned easily through a practice course?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you have the chance to take it before your MCAT, why not? It will make studying easier.

If you have the chance to take it before your MCAT, why not? It will make studying easier.

I'm short on time and I'm paying my own tuition. Wondering if that time/money/effort can be better spent on another class.

Members don't see this ad :)
If MCAT 2015 looks anything like the experimental section I got earlier this summer.....YES. Take it.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm short on time and I'm paying my own tuition. Wondering if that time/money/effort can be better spent on another class.

Because you're expected to know the material when you take the test. Sure you can go over it during review, but Sociology isn't exactly something you can become an expert in overnight. I'm confident it will be high yield to take seeing as it's required material on the MCAT, not just "recommended".

Depends. If you already have a high GPA and you don't have a lot of time to spare, then adequate (or better) preparation can be had by studying the CollegeBoard's CLEP exam for Sociology. I'd run through that and spend more of my time on biochemistry prep.

It's recommended, OP, that you take all the requisite courses before tackling the MCAT. Although, I would really like to know if Social Psych would be appropriate, instead of taking intro sociology?

It's recommended, OP, that you take all the requisite courses before tackling the MCAT. Although, I would really like to know if Social Psych would be appropriate, instead of taking intro sociology?

I'd like to know about social psych as well, since it's one of the summer classes offered coming up.

Anyone have other input on classes besides sociology and biochem? I know the new exam is supposed to be extremely biology heavy, so would classes such as genetics, microbio, physiology, etc. be beneficial?
My biochem professor was great and she teaches a second class similar to it called Intermediary Metabolism, so-called "Biochem 2". The name makes me shudder, but I might take that one in the fall.

I'd like to know about social psych as well, since it's one of the summer classes offered coming up.

Anyone have other input on classes besides sociology and biochem? I know the new exam is supposed to be extremely biology heavy, so would classes such as genetics, microbio, physiology, etc. be beneficial?
My biochem professor was great and she teaches a second class similar to it called Intermediary Metabolism, so-called "Biochem 2". The name makes me shudder, but I might take that one in the fall.
I've heard phys is a huge help from someone currently taking a Kaplan prep course and phys simultaneously.