This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am a sophomore. Gonna be taking the MCAT spring of next year. Thinking of studying hard this summer and even buying a book set. I’ve finished Chem I, Chem II, Bio, And taking Orgo II now. Also finished both Physics’. Would you guys recommend purchasing the exam crackers book set? It’s $160 on amazon and it has practice tests and info on each subject. Do you guys recommend it? Or should I wait it out since I’m just a sophomore... (second semester)

Will be taking Biochem this Fall. Please lemme know. If not, are there other books you guys recommend? Things I should be focusing on? please let me know. Thank you everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Stop. Enjoy college while you can.

Focus on your classes. Take a psych class and a sociology class.If you have the time to worry about the MCAT, focus instead on your ECs and getting as close to a 4.0 as you can.

Decide when you want to study, not when you want to take your exam:
A. Winter break of junior year - Test date Jan/Feb, sign up in October and fight with everyone else trying to get a test date.
B. Spring semester, balance with classes - Test date April/May
C. Summer after junior year - Test date July/August

Come back once you sign up for a test date. Then we can talk test materials.

I like your dedication (and naivete) but you're going to risk major burnout if you start this early.

Reactions: 1 users
Stop. Enjoy college while you can.

Focus on your classes. Take a psych class and a sociology class.If you have the time to worry about the MCAT, focus instead on your ECs and getting as close to a 4.0 as you can.

Decide when you want to study, not when you want to take your exam:
A. Winter break of junior year - Test date Jan/Feb, sign up in October and fight with everyone else trying to get a test date.
B. Spring semester, balance with classes - Test date April/May
C. Summer after junior year - Test date July/August

Come back once you sign up for a test date. Then we can talk test materials.

I like your dedication (and naivete) but you're going to risk major burnout if you start this early.

Thank you. I will definitely take this into consideration. I just feel like I’m gonna need awhile to prepare for the exam haha. I don’t think the traditional 3 months is enough Dx

Thank you. I will definitely take this into consideration. I just feel like I’m gonna need awhile to prepare for the exam haha. I don’t think the traditional 3 months is enough Dx

If I were you, I would create your own schedule, or utilize one that has been made on SDN, and STICK WITH IT!! Its impossible to each and every single little detail, so I wouldn't stress about spending too much time on content. Practice, practice, practice. Keep a positive attitude, and maintain the mentality that you will be ready after three months. good luck on your studies

Members don't see this ad :)

That is a common misconception. The truth is that anything more than three months of dedicated MCAT review is a dangerous thing. You risk burnout and poor retention (think overflowing bucket, you try to add more but end up pushing something else out). It's literal overtraining.

IF you do want to start now, I suggest only doing CARS. Do 1 or 2 practice passages a day. Start reading newspapers like your local paper, Wall Street Journal, or USA Today. Also try "adult" magazines like Time, New Yorker, and The Economist. Read through the boring ones especially.

Reactions: 1 user
That is a common misconception. The truth is that anything more than three months of dedicated MCAT review is a dangerous thing. You risk burnout and poor retention (think overflowing bucket, you try to add more but end up pushing something else out). It's literal overtraining.

IF you do want to start now, I suggest only doing CARS. Do 1 or 2 practice passages a day. Start reading newspapers like your local paper, Wall Street Journal, or USA Today. Also try "adult" magazines like Time, New Yorker, and The Economist. Read through the boring ones especially.

Oh nice. Really? How would I practice CARS? Should I purchase a CARS book??? Or could I find it online????

Oh nice. Really? How would I practice CARS? Should I purchase a CARS book??? Or could I find it online????

First, calm down with the question marks. It's a forum, but we're all generally either pre-med, med students, doctors or some other healthcare profession. You're entering a world where professionalism is important, and how you conduct yourself digitally may be the only thing schools may see. This is beyond personal statements and primary/secondary applications, this includes forums (there are adcoms here) and email correspondence.

With over a year before any serious prep, I would recommend you invest in a student-discount subscription of the Wall Street Journal and read every article of every issue and critique them. What is the author's point, what is his supporting evidence, what is some refuting evidence, is his position strong or weak, biased or empirically-based, what is the next step in either diretion, etc. At this early stage, I wouldn't mind you picking up a CARS book, like Kaplan or TPR. Khan Academy is fine too. Subscribe to Jack Westin's email list, he provides daily CARS passages as well.

Being well-read, and being able to read quickly with a high level of comprehension and retention is key to success on the MCAT, and may be more important than content review itself.

Reactions: 2 users
@Zenabi90 sorry. I tend to get a little excited. Thank you for the advice. I think I will pick up a few CARS books and try to read through some things. I appreciate your advice nonetheless. I will definitely do this. I’m thinking exam crackers right now. I heard they’re the best. Thank you again.

@Zenabi90 sorry. I tend to get a little excited. Thank you for the advice. I think I will pick up a few CARS books and try to read through some things. I appreciate your advice nonetheless. I will definitely do this. I’m thinking exam crackers right now. I heard they’re the best. Thank you again.

No worries. I appreciate your enthusiasm, and I hope you manage to hold on to it throughout your pre-med journey.

Again, be well-read. WSJ is your best bet this early on because there are a finite number of practice passages. Just get one book, and do one or two practice passages a day in conjunction with analyzing the WSJ.